Ruby Jack Trail

Ruby Jack Trail is a 15.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Carthage, Missouri that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 15.9 miles Elevation Gain: 164 feet Route Type: Point to Point

rails trails

Ruby Jack is a Rails to Trails project. It runs from Carthage to the Kansas state line just past Carl Junction, MO. The trail from Carthage is very good packed rock through Oronogo. Just past Oronogo it is not finished and is made up of the loose rock from the railbed. It's not overgrown badly but very difficult on a bike.

Beautiful trail but someone dumped a pitbull puppy. He is very sweet and I would have taken him home if I didnt have a 7 hour drive home to Dallas.

Didn’t get to finish the trail because some assholes don’t understand that they should keep their dogs on a leash so I got chased off by a barking pitbull, this is why I don’t ever go on a trail with at least pepper spray all because some dog owners don’t have brains

Great trail for biking. Packed gravel & easy to ride. We parked @ the Carthage Trailhead & rode to Oronogo. We didn’t notice until the way back that it’s mostly downhill that direction, so riding back was difficult for tired legs (kids... me too). It was a nice family ride though, we saw lizards, turtles, deer, and TONS of beautiful butterflies. Traffic @ road crossings was VERY cautious & watched for riders & runners. We ate a few blackberries we found along the trail. We will definitely do it again.

Good trail for a nice bike ride!

I jog this trail often because it is close to my house. It's mostly flat and well maintained. There are a few areas that have a little bit of an incline and can tire you out if you are going a longer distance. A lot of people say its boring and its true theres not much to look at but it's a great trail to train on with little to worry about.

Nice little ride and close to my house!

Sunday, April 29, 2018

It was clean but a little boring just walking. I walked about an hour into the trail then turned around and went back. This would be fun if you went biking with friends.

Friday, August 04, 2017

Not too bad of a trail. It has sections that are more secluded and also ones that pass by backyards. Not the most exciting trail, but good if you're wanting something simple.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

Well maintained trail. It was very clean,flat and easy to walk. Even though it was very boring the country side views were still pleasant once you got out from behind the shacks.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

We, my 10 yo daughter and I completed the section from CJ to 171 today. Not a bad trail for walking. It is flat, shared the trail with a couple of runners. We are looking forward to challenging ourselves with a longer hike so next time we will see how far we can go. Setting a goal of 15 miles

Saturday, April 30, 2016

It's ok pretty boring

Sunday, April 24, 2016

I went to this trail twice this past week. Once by myself, and once with a friend. The trail was fairly level but was all gravel in the couple of miles I went from the trail-head. There were a few sketchy areas, but for the most part I came across farms and a lot of pastoral views. One thing to note - watch out for snakes.

Friday, April 01, 2016

I have done the whole trail a couple of times. The trailhead is a mile from my house, so the round trip is about 34 miles. This trail is well groomed and easy to walk, at least near Carthage. There isn't too much interesting in terms of scenery, but it is long, quiet, and relatively little-used, so you can really stretch out and test your legs without getting run over by a car. If you're a cyclist, the section from Carthage to the West side of Oronogo is probably the only part you'll really want to do. Carl Junction has a nice section, but it's pretty short. From West Oronogo to Carl had loose gravel, slightly sketchy railroad bridges, and waist-deep weeds, so pedalling probably wouldn't be too pleasant.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

This isn't much of a hiking trail, but it's good for jogging or if you just want to get outside for a while. It is a lot of loose gravel, so biking can be a little rough in spots.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

It is an easy trail. It is good for jogging and biking.

Friday, April 26, 2013

Great trail from Carthage to Oronogo, from Oronogo to Kansas it is loose rock so it is hard to bike.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Very nice trail.....still needs work tho

Saturday, July 07, 2018