Roaring River Fire Tower Trail

Roaring River Fire Tower Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cassville, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Rugged Ozark terrain, dense hardwood forests, open dolomite glades and deep hollows. The views from its wildflower-filled meadows remain pure wilderness. The steep mountainsides have extensive woodland belts that hide numerous stony bluffs, sheltered forest coves, springs and clear-water streams.

I absolutely loved this trail. I just got home from a week long camping trip with my Dad and his buddies from down there yesterday. I hiked all the trails there were on the map while we were there,aside from one that was out of commission for repairs, and this one was by far my favorite. Some of the scenery up there was indescribably beautiful..took my breath away more than once. Definitely an experience i will never forget. Definitely bring some water with you is all id advise and if youre a ciggarette smoker, theres a couple steep climbs that will take your craving for em away completely...or atleast it did me. lol

I hike this trail often. 2-3 times /month. I prefer to hike from the end of the road to the nature center. Hike it more than once and try both ways to find your preference.

Amazing hike, my wife and I enjoyed every minute. Roaring River has some of the most incredible views.

very peaceful hike in the woods with a fire tower at the end

wonderful walk in the woods.

Beautiful day (sunny and sixty in mid November). Not many people out, and the trail was pretty well marked (some parts covered in leaves, but that is to be expected at this time of year). Trail head not conveniently located, but I was able to find the trail with the help of the app.

The fire tower was the highlight. The trees are taller than the tower, so there’s not much of a view from the top. The climb to the top of the tower is still worth the effort. Most of the trail is just a walk through the woods. There’s a few rock outcroppings and Bluff lines coming down the hill to the glade. Once at the glade there’s some decent views from there.

Beautiful trail. Easy trail. Lots of beautiful scenery. The trailhead is located behind the Nature Center with lots of parking. The fire tower is awesome.

Longest trail at roaring river great hike.

We started our hike behind the Nature Center, where you can park and pick up a map. There are also other places to access this trail. The first half mile from here is all uphill, but levels off after that. About midway is an old fire-tower that can be climbed if you want. In the winter, you would probably have a nice view from the top, but leaves on the trees blocked our view on Oct 3. There are some pretty rock formations along part of the trail. When you are going back downhill, you will walk through an area of glade type terrain, before crossing a highway and reaching the river. A short distance from there takes you to a campground and along the park road to return to the nature center. Nice hike!

Awesome trail!!!

This review is for the River Trail, which isn't listed on this site for Roaring River SP.
Blazed in Yellow. We accessed it from near the parking lots by the Fish Hatchery. You'll pass the Amphitheater, or you can pick up part of the trail there, since the Amphitheater kind of interrupts the trail.
This was a short trail but interesting scenery and features. No real climbing, and for most of the trail, you are hugging the River (though not really close enough to get down to it). Narrow along much of the trail, have to go single-file. Some cool rock overhangs and natural "benches." I think kids would like this trail and could manage it well.

I found the trailhead by going behind the Nature Center and crossing the road. TH signage is on the other side of the road.
Hiked only a portion b/c it was end of the day and we were losing daylight. I would rate this as more than "Moderate" due to the quick and steep climbs and rugged trail condition. It does flatten out at the top, and you can catch your breath! Late afternoon sunlight through the trees was really pretty. We took the connector trail to meet up with Deer Leap Trail and head back down to leave. I'll definitely return to do the whole trail.

Steep to begin. Looks like a WPA project. Well maintained. Pleasant with good markings.

Hiked this trail this morning. We started at the Chinkapin Nature Center. After walking the trail I definitely think this is the best place to start. Be aware that the first part of the trail is pretty steep and you will get a good workout but it is well worth it. The fire tower is no longer above the tree line as it was put in in the 30’s but you are allowed to climb it and you still get the feeling of being very high. Keep on traveling around past the fire tower and you will encounter a good downhill climb. Then a beautiful view of a bluffline and then the glades. Near the end you get a short walk along the river before it comes out in the campground. With a short walk back to the nature center. As was said by earlier posts you do have to cross the highway a couple of times but personally I don’t think it took away much from the overall experience. It was a great trail with lots to see.

There is a lot to like about this trail...elevation, distance, scenery...But I was a little disappointed in the fire tower providing zero view and having to cross the highway twice. Enjoyed the finish along the river.

It took us over an hour to find the trail head. It’s off the side of the highway basically in the middle of nowhere. To get there you have to walk along the highway which is incredibly hilly/curvy and cars, trucks and trailers are flying by going 40+. We didn’t even walk much of the trail because it was too hot and we didn’t have enough water for 2 people and 4 dogs. As usual in MO, the water is a crystal teal and beautiful but this park was SWAMPED. The wading area was full of screaming kids throwing rocks at one another and the fishing areas were packed. I had no idea this was a giant trout hatchery and so that was a little disappointing. I’m more of a let the dogs off leash and see 0 people on the trails kind of person. The drive for me was 3.5 hours and I would never come back. It was a beautiful park but not for activities I enjoy.

Nice hike, only took a little over two hours at a mild pace taking pictures along the way.

Don't access at Hatchery, steep climb, use another.

Great hike. I wished it got closer to the river sooner, but all in all a good trail. tIt took us about 2 hours at a moderate pace. Good incline for the first half mile or so, then it eases up.

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Longer trail with a steep climb early on making you earn it. What goes up must go down so after the tower you get the decline and after that it levels out. Little bit of everything on this trail.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

This trail has everything. A view of the spring with its clear turquoise water. Then a steep climb through woods to fire tower. Then great views of cliffs and benches. Then a bit along the river. It really is a trail that covers everyone

Saturday, December 02, 2017

Very enjoyable trail. Fairly easy with some great rock formations on the lower side. Ran int a couple of roaring river employees before I started they were very helpful and informative.

Monday, November 27, 2017

Nice hike

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Nice trail! near the end of the trail there is a nice mountain view....and the last mile or so was along the waters of roaring river.

Friday, October 27, 2017

Beautiful! Colors are just turning. I'd go back again. It's steep up either side.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Great hike. A bit slipping with Pepe's at spots. In the winter the view from the fire tower might be good, but even so, a hike I would do again. Great late summer wild flowers at spots.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Beautiful hike! We enjoyed the different elevation and views. Will definitely go again.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

loved that the fire tower is there to climb really nice hike

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Wonderful hike! great elevation, beautiful flowers, little cave like overhangs....beautiful!