Ridge Runner Trail

Ridge Runner Trail is a 10.7 mile loop trail located near Vanzant, Missouri that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This loop can be shortened by taking the cross path located in the center of the loop. (It says "0.8" on it.) In which case the northern loop comes to about six miles, although it feels longer. There are several stream crossings, which can be up to waist deep depending on recent rainfall. The trail is marked with diamond symbols on the trees, and isn't hard to navigate, though you should take your phone or GPS with this app loaded, and preferably the maps downloaded, since cell coverage is limited. There's some nice elevation gain here and there, and a few steep rocky spots. We saw a juvenile bald eagle at Noblett Lake. All in all a pleasant hike if you are in the area.

Washed out in several places where you will have to search for the other side of the trail for awhile. Trail dips into thick stinging nettle and briar patches at times. Scenery is meh, not really worth hiking until the winter. Poorly marked. Needs maintenance

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Don't go, don't hike this trail. We arrived at the trail head around 10:30am from Springfield. We intended to walk the short loop. There is a map at the trail head and we took a picture of it to refer to later. Don't bother. There are trial makers everywhere, but they aren't much help except to let you know you are on a trail. There are a number on intersections with service roads and trails and the markings are confusing. We started on the trail marked "Short Loop" but never saw that name again except on markers pointing back the way we came. Never saw a market again that said long loop. So of course we took the wrong one went a mile and it intersected a country road and we realized we were on the wrong trail. Back the other way and take another option this one marked to the lake. That was the short loop but it wasn't short enough. The under brush was over grown and at times completely obscured the trail and constantly slashed at our legs. I have never seen so much poison ivy in my life. I have been hiking for a while and I am always looking for a good trail, this one ain't it. I was truly glad to be off of it. I didn't take any pictures because there was nothing to take pictures of.