Pinnacles Youth Park Trail [CLOSED]

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(77)
Pinnacles Youth Park

Pinnacles Youth Park Trail is a 1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hallsville, Missouri that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 55 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

The Pinnacles Youth Park is a privately run area north of Columbia. The trail to the pinnacles is wonderful, narrow, and sometimes steep. There is also a rock shelf on a spur at the west end of the trail. This is a great hike with wonderful views of the Silver Fork Creek Valley.

Trail wasn’t true but it was a great hike anyway. I’ve got to get in better shape if I’m gonna do this again. Lol. Clinging the pinnacles was a nice workout.

Beautiful area! The first time I attempted to do this trail in April it was flooded, so I recommend coming during the summer and fall. There are two directions you can take to get to the rock formations, one of which you will need to cross a creek. Once you get up there you have some nice views but definitely need to be careful as you're climbing on the rocks! There are not many other trails in central Missouri with as much climbing as this one!

flooded

closed

Couldn't cross the creek because of water levels and very slick rocks. Disappointing hike.

It seemed like a place for teenagers to sit around and hang out. The path itself was easy but there are options for those who like to climb.

Cool trail with some steep rock banks and mini-caves that most of typical MO doesn’t have in its’ back yard.

Mon May 27 2019

Love this trail with the kiddos. Does have a degree of difficulty for navigating rock cliff but not enough to rate more than moderate for difficulty. Have been on trail when a couple of hikers fell and had fractures, so do where good shoes and be mindful of your surroundings. My wife and I have taken our 7-8 year old boys on trail. Kind of has that Rocky Mountain vibe in Mid-Missouri.

Mon Apr 29 2019

All around amazing place to visit! Would definitely recommend!

Thu Apr 04 2019

Great trail! I visited the trail during flooding time so I was prepared to not be able to cross the creek. I will be back to reach the pinnacles during the summer when the creek is down. However, if you’re looking for a higher elevation to view the river from there’s a marker that shows either heading to the shelf rock or going “out back”. If you follow the outback trail for about a mile you get a beautiful view to look down on the fork of the creek. I would suggest this trail if you’re able to make the incline to cross the creek offshoot about half way down.

Sat Mar 16 2019

We were only able to hike the first half of the trail as the creek was too high to cross with the temps in the 20’s. We enjoyed the view of the rock formations from opposite creek bank. The park opens at 8 AM and if you get there at sunrise you can watch the sun peek through the holes in the rock face, which was fun.

Wed Nov 28 2018

Pretty technical trail and I LOVED IT!!!! I Took the hike up heart attach hill and scrambled across the ridge to the big boulders. Well worth the effort! Managed to make my way across the creek on some rocks back to the other side.

Thu Oct 18 2018

Great views, and a pretty easy trail

Sun Oct 14 2018

Gorgeous rock formations. Small park.

Tue Jul 17 2018

we will go back in the fall to hike and see the pinnacles.

Wed Jul 11 2018

If you enjoy hiking rocky terrain, I suggest going here.

Tue Apr 24 2018

Great trails out in the woods and the pinnacles are really fun , but lots of climbing. If you’re afraid of heights it’s probably not for you.

Fri Mar 30 2018

Fun for the area. Nice formations, can arrange primitive camping. Nice picnic shelters

Thu Aug 24 2017

Short but pretty challenging in some areas. Not for young kids. Beautiful views.

Tue Jul 25 2017

Been hiking here since childhood. (30 yrs) Moderate trail that can get challenging but well worth the trek. Views and creeks are amazing. Very family friendly.

Mon Dec 26 2016

Fun little area to play in! Don't expect to vigorously walk for miles, but rather enjoy climbing up and down on the rocks. Great views from the Pinnacles, and I'll be going back in the spring to explore some of the area beyond the Pinnacles themselves. The only downside is that it is used quite a bit so you won't get that feeling of being alone and one with nature, but I'll go back on days when I want to play on rocks instead of doing a true hike.

Mon Nov 14 2016

Great fall hike. Followed the trail to the right and found the cave or whatever you call it. We found a bat sleeping! Crossed the stream by rock hopping. Short distance to the rock formations. Had a great time climbing on them and finding a little danger. It's not easy hiking around the rocks. But people have made some easier trails to bypass difficult sections. Don't forget to drop a donation into the pole by the sign. This is a privately maintained park and donations are needed to keep it nice.

Mon Oct 31 2016

Nice little trail, I had to cross the creek to hike up to the pinnacles or you can get there from the road.

Sat Sep 03 2016

Loved it. Reminded me of being in Colorado when on the rock outcrops.

Tue Jul 05 2016

Weather was nice, we went around 4:00pm and had the perfect amount of time to spend checking out the stream...walking the trails. Nice to get out into nature and get some exercise. This was a short trail, wish it was longer. We enjoyed the family time. I've tried to add photos 2x but it won't let me...I'll keep trying

Thu Jan 28 2016

Scenic, friendly people encountered and clean hiking trails.

Sun Oct 04 2015

Trail was great for the whole family. Must pay attention on the trails with kids but a fun little hike.