Pike Run Trail

Pike Run Trail is a 10.6 mile loop trail located near Bonne Terre, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Overnight guests can choose from more than 100 campsites, in campgrounds with modern restrooms, hot showers, and laundry facilities. The forested ridges and cool hollows of St. Francois State Park offer visitors a retreat from everyday life. Three hiking trails, including one that allows equestrian access, wind through the forested hills and glades of the Coonville Creek Wild Area. Easy access to the Big River makes St. Francois State Park ideal for canoeing and floating and the many shaded picnic sites and two covered shelters make the park perfect for family gatherings.

Surprisingly difficult hike at times. Saw deer, snakes and turtles. No lookout points; a little redundant at times.

Not much to look at but trees, and horses were allowed to use the same trail so we were jumping over horse doo the whole trail

Great day hike. Nice intensity and wildlife. We would recommend. plan on coming back in the fall.

I did the north loop, which was about 6 miles, starting at the Pike Run trailhead. A few steep hills and a creek crossing or two, nothing overly difficult. The trail is used by horses and has eroded in a couple of places that required some careful walking. They did a prescribed burn recently and everything was burnt but it shouldn't be a problem come spring. Beautiful glade area at the beginning of the trail.

There is a big loop (about 10 miles) starting at the trailhead. I started here but wanted to take a shorter loop so went off trail which added some elevation gain and allowed me to get secluded quickly. Being amongst the sky high trees was incredible. There are some cool mossy rocks amongst the hills too. Many of the trail markers are small and faded so it was easy to accidentally go on an off shoot once I got a couple miles into the hike. I'll be back once the trees get more leaves!

very nice!

Did the south loop - was a beautiful area to explore

Monday, December 05, 2016

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Sunday, September 04, 2016

We just did the south loop and it was beautiful! A couple stream crossings and a few decent elevation changes. We did the loop counterclockwise but I think I'd do the reverse the next time around as I felt there were quite a few descents with loose gravel.

Most of the trail was well cleared but there were a few areas of heavier growth so I'd wear long pants or make sure to spray down with bug spray.