Pike Run Trail

Pike Run Trail is a 10.6 mile loop trail located near Bonne Terre, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Overnight guests can choose from more than 100 campsites, in campgrounds with modern restrooms, hot showers, and laundry facilities. The forested ridges and cool hollows of St. Francois State Park offer visitors a retreat from everyday life. Three hiking trails, including one that allows equestrian access, wind through the forested hills and glades of the Coonville Creek Wild Area. Easy access to the Big River makes St. Francois State Park ideal for canoeing and floating and the many shaded picnic sites and two covered shelters make the park perfect for family gatherings.

Beautiful trail. Climb or descent on river side

I love this park so much. If you do both trails, it leads you to a beautiful scenery. One downside about St. Francois this year is the mosquitos, and ticks. We discovered at least 30 ticks on my dog and 10 on us each. If you find a really strong repellent, I suggest checking it out or waiting for cooler weather!

6/2/18. Used Deep Woods Off for mosquitos and ticks. Still spent 4 hours waving away mosquitos, and my wife and I had literally about 2 dozen ticks on us at the end.

Great hike! A little over 10 miles, completed it in 4 hours. Had some pretty decent inclines. Lots of creek access for the dogs. Will come back in cool weather.

We started counterclockwise on the South Loop. Not very scenic, no overlooks. Continued onto the North Loop and there were some more scenic areas there around the little creeks and some small waterfalls after it rained. Several steep, butt kicking hills but good if you are looking for a bit of a workout.

Nice relaxing trail. Not the most scenic, but still enjoyable. My GPS read 10.75 mile with 1635 ft of elevation gain. The trail was rutted in places due to horse traffic.

Surprisingly difficult hike at times. Saw deer, snakes and turtles. No lookout points; a little redundant at times.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Not much to look at but trees, and horses were allowed to use the same trail so we were jumping over horse doo the whole trail

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Great day hike. Nice intensity and wildlife. We would recommend. plan on coming back in the fall.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

I did the north loop, which was about 6 miles, starting at the Pike Run trailhead. A few steep hills and a creek crossing or two, nothing overly difficult. The trail is used by horses and has eroded in a couple of places that required some careful walking. They did a prescribed burn recently and everything was burnt but it shouldn't be a problem come spring. Beautiful glade area at the beginning of the trail.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

There is a big loop (about 10 miles) starting at the trailhead. I started here but wanted to take a shorter loop so went off trail which added some elevation gain and allowed me to get secluded quickly. Being amongst the sky high trees was incredible. There are some cool mossy rocks amongst the hills too. Many of the trail markers are small and faded so it was easy to accidentally go on an off shoot once I got a couple miles into the hike. I'll be back once the trees get more leaves!

Saturday, February 18, 2017

very nice!

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Did the south loop - was a beautiful area to explore

Sunday, September 04, 2016

We just did the south loop and it was beautiful! A couple stream crossings and a few decent elevation changes. We did the loop counterclockwise but I think I'd do the reverse the next time around as I felt there were quite a few descents with loose gravel.

Most of the trail was well cleared but there were a few areas of heavier growth so I'd wear long pants or make sure to spray down with bug spray.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Did the north and south loops and checked out the backpack camp, which is a spur off the south loop. Overlooked the backpack camp and kept going down the dead end trail, following old blazes. Camp is only marked by a pack out your trash sign and two small clearings on each side of the trail, no firepits or anything.

The loop trails are showing signs of horse wear in areas, but for the most part are pleasant to hike. The western ridges are nice with the leaves off. Water was flowing in several creeks when I was there in April. Elevation gain on this trail is just as great as any of the mountain loops around the OT, it's not a walk in the park. I'd say it's moderate.

Decently blazed except for the backpack spur.

Monday, March 21, 2016

I am not sure who rated this as easy, but the north loop has a lot of inclines. I would rate it as moderate.

Saturday, November 07, 2015

Beautiful hike and the perfect amount of terrain! Highly recommend it!

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Short but great hike!

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Great campsites. Great recreational opportunities. beautiful area.

recorded Track - Mar 10, 03:45 PM