Ozark Trail: Taum Sauk Section

Ozark Trail: Taum Sauk Section is a 12.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bixby, Missouri that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

It's hard to understate how great this section is. You have 1.5 billion-year-old mountains, igneous glades, springs, grand vistas, odd rock formations, and a swimming hole complete with natural flumes. If this author could only hike one trail in Missouri, this would be his choice. Please consult The Ozark Trail Association regarding the condition and availability for hiking on this section of The Ozark Trail. Between the resevior breach and the major blow-down there have been some major changes in the last few years.

Just finished the full trail - actually is about 13.5 miles total. This is a nice trail, but rough! No rain in the area has dried up most of the water sources, especially if you start at Johnson Shut Ins - no water for approx 10 miles, pack smart! Otherwise a wonderful and unforgettable trail!

Not an easygoing trail. More tics than I have ever seen.

We did part of this trail last Fall. it was beautiful. It took a couple hours to do it. I would love to hike the entire thing sometime.

Trail was in great shape and well marked. Took us about 5 hours and 45 mins to complete it.

A magnificent trail with vistas unimaginable. Tough, watch your step, but worth every bit of effort given. Didn't go all the way to the shut ins, but was a magical weekend. They had a hike race going on, so we got passed by several folks in a hurry, but i would never rush this trail, there's a lot of detail

peace ✌

extremely beautiful. extremely difficult. no water for the first 9 or so miles. pack smart.

I hiked from Johnson's Shut Ins to Taum Sauk Park and back. Ticks and chiggers were the only wildlife I encountered. Trail starts with a good 2 mile climb up the side of the scour and Proffitt Mt. when you hit the power lines you are about half way. This section near the power lines has a lot of direct sun exposure while you make your way over a long section of glades. Avoid this section in the afternoon heat. After the glades you make your way down for a while and start to follow along a dry creek bed. Water at Taum Sauk Creek at about 11 miles. I needed about 3.5 liters (85-90F) of water. This is where you start your climb up Taum Sauk. There wasn't any water at Mina Sauk Falls while I was there. I made better time and needed less water on the way back the next day. Good places to camp on the trail: top of Proffitt Mt. 2.5-3mi., bottom of Proffitt Mt 5mi, After the Glades 9mi, Taum Sauk Creek 11mi.
Water: Scour 2mi, Taum Sauk Creek 11mi, Mina Sauk Falls 12.5mi
Trail is rocky for the majority of the trail. Real Ankle twister.
Pace: slower than my typical pace. Most of the trail I maintained 2mph. A few sections I slowed down due to the rocky footing.

Participated in the first ever hiking race in Missouri yesterday. We started at Taum Sauk and ended at Johnson Shut-ins. We went by Mina Sauk Falls (which weren't running today, but I've been there when they are and they are beautiful), Devil's Tollgate, and to one of the prettiest views I've seen!! Since it was a race we pushed the pace quite a bit, which I paid for later. We hiked it in 5 hours and 45 minutes. The only reason I'm giving this a 4 is because the trail is soooo rocky. It makes it very difficult to find your footing. I had to spend most of my time looking down. I will definitely do this trail again.

The waterfalls were amazing! Very happy we went while the water was there. Maybe I'm just a baby but I hated how rocky the trails were. I just hated not being able to see the scenery because I had to watch the ground the whole time so I didn't break my ankles.

Amazing views! More rocks than we expected. Trail challenging but doable. A good 2 Day hike.