Ozark Trail: Taum Sauk Section

Ozark Trail: Taum Sauk Section is a 12.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bixby, Missouri that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

It's hard to understate how great this section is. You have 1.5 billion-year-old mountains, igneous glades, springs, grand vistas, odd rock formations, and a swimming hole complete with natural flumes. If this author could only hike one trail in Missouri, this would be his choice. Please consult The Ozark Trail Association regarding the condition and availability for hiking on this section of The Ozark Trail. Between the resevior breach and the major blow-down there have been some major changes in the last few years.

extremely beautiful. extremely difficult. no water for the first 9 or so miles. pack smart.

I hiked from Johnson's Shut Ins to Taum Sauk Park and back. Ticks and chiggers were the only wildlife I encountered. Trail starts with a good 2 mile climb up the side of the scour and Proffitt Mt. when you hit the power lines you are about half way. This section near the power lines has a lot of direct sun exposure while you make your way over a long section of glades. Avoid this section in the afternoon heat. After the glades you make your way down for a while and start to follow along a dry creek bed. Water at Taum Sauk Creek at about 11 miles. I needed about 3.5 liters (85-90F) of water. This is where you start your climb up Taum Sauk. There wasn't any water at Mina Sauk Falls while I was there. I made better time and needed less water on the way back the next day. Good places to camp on the trail: top of Proffitt Mt. 2.5-3mi., bottom of Proffitt Mt 5mi, After the Glades 9mi, Taum Sauk Creek 11mi.
Water: Scour 2mi, Taum Sauk Creek 11mi, Mina Sauk Falls 12.5mi
Trail is rocky for the majority of the trail. Real Ankle twister.
Pace: slower than my typical pace. Most of the trail I maintained 2mph. A few sections I slowed down due to the rocky footing.

Participated in the first ever hiking race in Missouri yesterday. We started at Taum Sauk and ended at Johnson Shut-ins. We went by Mina Sauk Falls (which weren't running today, but I've been there when they are and they are beautiful), Devil's Tollgate, and to one of the prettiest views I've seen!! Since it was a race we pushed the pace quite a bit, which I paid for later. We hiked it in 5 hours and 45 minutes. The only reason I'm giving this a 4 is because the trail is soooo rocky. It makes it very difficult to find your footing. I had to spend most of my time looking down. I will definitely do this trail again.

The waterfalls were amazing! Very happy we went while the water was there. Maybe I'm just a baby but I hated how rocky the trails were. I just hated not being able to see the scenery because I had to watch the ground the whole time so I didn't break my ankles.

Amazing views! More rocks than we expected. Trail challenging but doable. A good 2 Day hike.

absolutely breathtaking. watch the weather forecast on this one though because some of the creek crossings and the mina sauk falls crossing were a bit of a pain after two days of rain. a good number of blazes are down so keep your map and compass handy

beautiful and brutal. love this hike. point to point talm saulk to jsi.Has water.. great views.. watch your step due the loose rocks.

Really amazing trail with a lot of variety in the landscapes! Easily one of my favorite hikes I've done

Hiked Taum Sauk to Shut-ins. Beautiful Hike. Very rocky typical ozark. If can catch it after a rain the falls are awesome but was bone dry this time. The view about 8 miles in was without a doubt the best so far in Missouri. took us about 8 hours to do the hike.

Rocky trail with some great views and streams. Very nice hike overall, definitely will be back after the leaves start changing and fall.

Very pretty hike. Lots of different scenery along the way.

a challenging hike. We hiked from Taum Sauk mountain to Johnson's Shut-in. It was very rocky most parts of the trail. Beautiful scenery along the trail.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Monday, May 23, 2016

Missouri's most beautiful and scenic day hike.

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Did about a 12 mile section of the trail including the falls and Devil's Tollgate last summer. Absolutely beautiful, my favorite hike in Missouri. Definitely try and go shortly after it rains. The ground is a little muddy and a bit slick, but it's the only time the falls run. Absolutely breath taking.