Opossum Hollow Trail

Opossum Hollow Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Warrensburg, Missouri that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Opossum Hollow Trail takes you through managed hardwood woodland areas, restored prairie areas, areas filled with wildflowers, water crossings without bridges, steep grades and inclines of more than 10 percent.

very well marked, mostly shaded in the summer, trail appeared to be cared for (only a few weedy areas), some ticks even with repellent

Kinda boring but overall not bad

Similar to my experience on McAdoo Trail--way too muddy to venture far on this trail. We made it to the small pond, then turned back around. You reach this TH after going through the main entrance of the Park, turn left at the Visitors Center and follow the road out of the park to Hwy DD. Good road signage to get you to Opossum Trail and to McAdoo Trail.

Good hike. Terrain is rocky but easy to handle. Easy to moderate hike. Finished just under two hours.

Well-maintained and blazed trail. Not particularly challenging, which means not that much fun by my standards, but its length (one of the longest around for me) keeps it in regular rotation.

good hike. took us right at 2hrs

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Great trail. Did not complete full loop but took white connectors. Lots and lots of trees down from recent storm. Lots of different kinds of oaks.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Very well maintained, moderate difficulty

Saturday, February 11, 2017

This was lots of fun! We saw some deer.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Great Trail. Saw Deer, and other wildlife. Well marked.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Great trail. Marked well. TONS of seed ticks. We didn't have on strong enough bug spray and had close to a hundred ticks on our legs, inside our shoes and in our shirts.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Great trail. I saw two deer. Awesome workout.. Completed in about 2 1/2 hours. Some areas were great for running others a little to rocky. Overall a wonderful trail to hike!

Thursday, June 30, 2016

It was a good 2 1/2 hours of straight hiking. Me and my girlfriend found two box turtles and that was fun.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Nice trail, and great to run.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

The trail was perfect for me and my lil' frenchie! He had a blast! Some of the trail was blocked off due to the recent storms, but we managed to make the most of it! Will definitely be back!

Monday, April 11, 2016

Awesome trail super easy to follow and not to harsh on my wife who is new to hiking, not to many "wow" moments but lots of forest to explore as well!

Tuesday, October 06, 2015

This review is for the North Loop Trail; I couldn't find it listed on this site.

I chose the 2-mile North Loop Trail because I was short on time; I'd like to return and hike the Opossum Hollow Trail.
The North Loop Trail is nicely marked throughout, blazed in yellow. It offered good variety and some steady incline. I spotted two deer and a woodpecker. I had the trail to myself--saw no other hikers.
It was tricky to find the trail head; look for it directly behind the playground equipment that is adjacent to the campground.

Monday, October 05, 2015

Trail was nicely marked with red blaze and well maintained. Also had a few shortcuts marked along the way that headed back to the trailhead. Terrain was a mix of dirt, large rocks and roots but fairly easy to maneuver on foot. Several bikes passed us along the way but everyone was very respectful and excused themselves as they rolled through. Trail length was actually 6.2 miles from the trailhead sign and back but info board reads 5.5 miles.

Sunday, October 04, 2015

Marked out good.

Sunday, July 06, 2014

I find it shocking this trail is labeled as "easy". Maybe for hiking but definitely not for biking.

Saturday, July 05, 2014

I've walked this trail for over 40 years. It is kept in great condition and I saw no poison ivy.

Sunday, December 09, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the scenery on this trail. I did not expect it to be quite so pretty in this part of the state. It reminded me more of the Ozarks then Central Missouri. The only downside is that they don't allow back-packing on this trail. However, one could easily hike the trail and stay in a campsite....if I had all my equipment with me today, I would've done just that as we would've had the whole park to ourselves. Will keep this one on my short list of day-hike trails that are close to home. Well worth the hike! Saw 3 other people the whole way.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The trail is a good walk through the woods and has some things of interest; but typical of Missouri. A big plus is it is a nice loop trail, long enough to feel like you got out.