Muddy Creek Trail

Muddy Creek Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Arnold, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There are 4 entrances to this old trail system, 2 entrances are accessible at the back of Starling Community, one is located at the back of Kathryn Dr, and a middle entrance at the end of Carol Dr. This trail system floods regularly and is located where old neighborhoods washed away during the flood of 93. You can still see one old foundation towards the railroad track. Off road vehicles are prohibited. This trail follows next to Muddy Creek through bottomland forests, a small field that's full of wildflowers in the summer, next to train tracks, and then down to the Meramec River. Some common wildflowers along parts of this trail include lilies, goldenrod, spiderwort, mallow, and coreopsis in the late summer. There are also several deer in the area and many species of birds. This land is not maintained by a parks department, most of it is owned by FEMA.

After we made it a little ways past the tracks some lunatic on an ATV came chasing after us we had to run across a creek. The signs specifically say there are no off road vehicles allowed back there and there must be a nutcase hiding out back there now or something, very scary experience. The trailer park is private property, so the best point to park would be in the subdivision next to it. I am hoping something is done about the guy staying back there though, until then I will not go back.

I was about a mile into this trail and came across a scraggly looking man holding a backpack and a knife. No one else was nearby and my dogs hackles immediately went up. This man had a big knife, shaped like a dagger, not a Swiss army or switchblade. My dog and I turned around and ran back to the car and when we got there, a resident of the nearby trailer park was at my car, saying she was about to call the police. Apparently it is private property and parking is prohibited. Furthermore, she told me there have been meth labs by the river and some recent assaults. Close call, just a reminder to trust your instinct and DO NOT hike this trail.

This a nice trail to go foraging for different mushrooms and morels on, but it's not as scenic as some other trails around the area and is quite muddy after it rains. There are also a lot of mosquitoes during warmer months. It is good for a short hike down to the river for fishing. I am going to re-hike this trail, take more photos, and leave some trail markers. I will update my review after re-hiking it.