MDC Nature Center Trails

MDC Nature Center Trails is a 2.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Springfield, Missouri that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

canoeing

Beatiful Nature Trails and Natural Wildlife,Flora and Fauna thrive in this area. 3 Miles of Trails (Outer Loop 2.1 Miles) Long Trail-- 1 Hour Boardwalk Trail--(paved) 30 minutes. Savanna Ridge Trail (paved)--15 minutes. Hours Open Daily 8:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. from March 1 to October 31,and 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. during the remainder of the year. The Building is open 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. every day. The Builing area is closed Thanksgiving,Christmas and New Years Day. Please No pets,bicycles,or roller blades,hunting ,fishing,alcholic beverages,collecting. Please remain on trail at all times. Running/Jogging To reduce conflicts between running and other rail uses,please limit running/jogging on trails to posted times.

Nicely kept trails with a variety of beautiful scenery, great walkways, and neat bridges that have great views of the water. There are numerous trails with varying degrees of distance and difficulty. The only reason I didn't rate this a 5 is because of the traffic noise from the nearby highway; however, after a few minutes into the hike it seems to lessen. I highly recommend it. I also recommend going during the week day if you want to avoid crowds. I went on a Monday and it wasn't crowded at all.

It was so awesome! I go to Missouri State Uni, it wasn't a far distance away. Tons of trails, gorgeous scenery! 10/10 would recommend!

Close to Springfield, easy trail. I use it mainly to train for trail runs and backpack endurance.

Hiked all over with my granddaughters. We went for 2 1/2 hours, going from one trail to the next. We had asked multiple people along the way if the "trail looped back to the Nature Center"? Everyone said yes. We ended up in Sequiota Park. Finally a map! It didn't loop back to where we started. We called a taxi.
More maps are needed! We would go again, just make some different trail choices.

A beautiful trail system teeming with flaura and fauna. A number of very nice bridges cross numerous creeks and streams. Excellent for trail runs, getting the kids out of the house, or to get yourself away for nature walks/hikes. It's listed as moderate but, this rating would be directed more toward those who rarely get outdoors and happen to suddenly decide they want to take a walk in the woods. I would lean toward an 'easy' rating for those who regularly engage in hiking and trail running, or those who typically participate in other outdoor activities requiring any amount of physical excursion.

Nice close location but not a lot to look at.

Nice little area outside of the city. Nature trails that are good for walking, and you get some good views of the James River.

I took my 3 kids on the trail.
They had such a great time, they made me take them again before we left town. It had a great nature center at the end to cool off after the trail.

This is the most well cared for trail! Busy on a Sunday morning, but not crowded.
Beautiful views of the river. Lovely wildflowers at almost every turn.

Beautiful! Easy