McAdoo Equestrian Trail

McAdoo Equestrian Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Interstate I-70 at Concordia, MO, south on hwy 23 to Knob Noster (50 hwy), continue south on hwy 23 a short distance to Knob Noster state park entrance.

I picked a very muddy January day to check out this trail for the first time. I liked the trail enough but it didn't make a huge impression. The first half mile or so, you are close enough to the highway to hear the traffic noise...not my favorite. You cross a small creek early into the hike. It was frozen solid on the day I went. It is an easy trail, with occasional rocky sections. Not much climbing. There are two sections of the McAdoo Trail. The section I took first was at the end of a gravel trail that gave way to the natural trail surface. I followed around clockwise to the connector trail (blazed with white numbers) to shorten my hike, mainly b/c the mud was so unpleasant and slippery. I headed back to the small parking area and turned around to discover the other section, entering near a small pond. It was notable immediately for the tall pine trees and the cinder trail surface. Much more enjoyable, but soon enough, the pines disappeared and it was more of the same mud. I might come back in drier weather.

Well marked, good trail running course.

This trail was very well marked. We enjoyed the long hike, had a few big hills. A few downed trees that we could crawl over. Nice and quiet. At the end there is a beautiful piney patch of woods that makes you feel like you're not in Missouri anymore.

Beautiful trail. Not many pine tree trails around here but there is a small section in McAdoo. It was a nice surprise! My new favorite of all KNSP trails.

It was a very peaceful morning for a hike. Almost to the end of the hike, I came into these pine tree area. I was so happy, fell like I was in the west coast or high mountain

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Took my pup. It was a good hike. Trailhead says 6.5 miles. I'll record next time to see. Good elevation changes. Also, there is no lake on this trail.

Saturday, December 24, 2016

decent outing. easy terrain. Big 5-6 mile loop. watch out for arrogant equestrians though.

Monday, July 04, 2011

The trail is primarily equestrian usage. Their are other trails in the park that are open to mountain biking and hiking that may be less competitve thatn McAdoo. Nice layed out trail for the area. Close to Kansas City, a big plus. Nice trail but not spectacular regarding unique trail features.

Sunday, October 30, 2016