Matson Hill and Oxen Trail Loop

Matson Hill and Oxen Trail Loop is a 5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Defiance, Missouri that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice quiet trail with lots of switchbacks to keep the elevation gains gradual. This was my first time on the trail....I'm guessing the best used through October is due to falling leaves. Leaves were covering much of the path, making it difficult to see.

The 5-mile path shown is a combination of two trails - the Matson Hill Loop and the Oxen Mill Trail.

I like a challenge, and this was. Definitely not easy as listed, if biking, over the handlebars once. Lost Valley is 10.5 miles and this trail wore me out in 4-5, combined with Oxen Mill trail.

Great trail but it's not 2.84 as listed on several sites. Matson is 3.28 miles per GPS. O would also rate as moderate due to the rocks, roots and rapid inclines/declines. The trail is used for bikes and hiking. If you're biking be ready for a challenge. Hikers...be ready for some calm beauty if you're coming mid-week during the day, especially mornings. Beautiful place! I highly recommend it!

Awesome trail!

felt very redundant like they were trying to make it longer by looping back and forth on itself

Did all three trails - Matson Hill, Oxen Mill, and Hayes. Totaled around 9 miles. These trails are all connected so you can do just the first one, or the first two, or all three. They are probably rated in my opinion as easy to moderate. You won't find any overlooks here but a lot of diverse nature to see on all three trails

great trail, several stream crossings,

nice Trail did both the Matson Trail and The Oxen Trail took approximately 5 miles well-marked

I would consider this to be "Moderate" difficulty, at the least, for MTB! I'm pretty sure I stayed on the Matson Hill Loop and there were a lot of "technical" parts (layered rocks, multiple sized roots, ect.) Definitely a place I need more practice at! The natural formations were beautiful!!

Great area to escape the suburbs. Nice array of wildlife. Trail is groomed well. I hike but will probably try to mountain bike one day.

Found this trail more difficult because it had so many roots, rocks, and rough areas. Constantly watching where to step. Considered it deep woods hiking with a meadow view if you include Oxen Mill Trail.

nice clean trail through the hillside. Nothing to impressive on the trail but would make for a good mountain biking trail.

Monday, February 13, 2017

not what we expected. we went with the anticipation of hiking for 3miles but the signage on the trail was very unclear and didn't have mileage at all so we ended up accidentally vearing of on oxen mills trail which looped around back to the original trail so I'm not even sure how many miles we actually went and we ended up running most of it because I was going to be late to work because of our "detour". We were out for a little over two hours. lots of parts of the trail very muddy and it hasnt rained in 4 days.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Happened to stumble across this trail and we happened to be at the top...very fun walk down! Don't think I would have been so thrilled had I found it at the bottom. Will certainly be back to check out other trails in the immediate area solely based off this one.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Great trail... a little tougher than I expected, and we ended up doing 3.6 miles somehow??

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Lol, there is nothing easy about this trail on a mountain bike. I love it because it has some great fast downhill sections and some really technical sections. I reiterate.....this trail is not easy. I took my wife there and she literally cried she was so frustrated.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Enjoyed our hike on this quiet, well groomed trail. Saw 4 adult deer grazing on the hillside. Encountered one other hiker and a couple of cyclists, on a 70 degree day! Great views and loads of blooming wildflowers!

Thursday, April 14, 2016

I love this trail, one of my families favorites.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Beautiful

Thursday, October 08, 2015

Just there two days ago and took this trail. Well groomed. Watch out for roots and rocks trip hazards though. Wide, no weeds, no brush, no ticks or chiggers. Only four bike riders and no other hikers. Peace, solitude. Nice views from the top of the hill at trail head.