Lower Rock Creek Trail

Lower Rock Creek Trail is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fredericktown, Missouri that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

When you pass the gate, turn immediately to the left (south), cross the stream and follow the trail back to the creek, then travel right (west) the best you can on the north side of the creek. An unofficial trail comes and goes. The tumbling creek and high bluffs make this a wonderful area. Many nice areas to camp.

had a great time here today. nice stone arrow pointing the way at the fork and some cairns to help you back to the trail.

KEEP LEFT!!! We missed that about 150 yards in. Thought by the downed trees that we should take the path to the right. Major climb, up and down Trackler Mountian.
Stayed overnight at a middle camp site. The kitchen equipment is worse for the wear, but the trip was great.

It is a more wilderness feeling trail. I like that. If you are not an avid outdoorsy type, be careful not to get lost. The trail is not always well marked and can be very weedy. Snakes don't bother me, but we did see some, including Copperheads. Enjoy.

Great hike with amazing scenary. The trail is a little rough but not to bad. I saw 2 cotton mouths by the creek but I left them alone and they left me alone. I did not get any ticks either.

Just went this past weekend and it was incredible! We only saw two other people the entire time we were there so it really had the feel of being out in the wild on your own. The creek was beautiful and very full from the recent rain, everything was so green and lush, moss and lichens everywhere!! Even saw some cool liverworts! An untouched paradise.

Just watch out for snakes and slick rocks because we all came away with bruised knees from falling a few times.

I went last year and it was gorgeous, but so many ticks!!!!!!!

Some very beautiful wilderness. Some of the best I've seen in the Midwest. Feels very remote. The river looks like a river you'd see in the Rockies. The trail along the river is pretty rugged in some spots. You have to do some rock hopping and will get some wet boots in a few spots but that's part of the fun. My 8 year old son and I hiked about 3/4 mile upstream. We saw 3 Water Moccasins about 10 minutes apart. One in the water and 2 on the edge of the trail so we decided to turn around and hike back to where the trail first meets the river(didn't see any snakes in that area, and I have a low tolerance level for poisonous snakes! ) We hung out on a large flat rock area, ate lunch, waded in the water, and enjoyed the scenery.

favorite place in missouri

Awesome spot with tons of off trail exploring. Definitely some challenging terrain in the area but nothing too difficult. I will certainly be returning this summer

One of the best trails in the state, no doubt about it. Very rugged and remote. Camped at the second camp site (the furthest one upstream) and it was a perfect location. Amazing rhyolite formations! Can't wait to go back and climb up the sides of the hills to get a good look at the ravine.

Be sure to wear sturdy shoes. The trail frequently crosses boulder piles/talus slopes and you may need to cross the creek occasionally.

This is such a great hike! Some of the most untouched land around! Whoever rates this less than a 5 is crazy. Maybe they're trying to keep it to their self!? Trees down and lightly trafficked trail is what makes it fun! The trail is obvious enough through the woods to the creek so don't worry about that.

You can bushwhack down stream to where it meets the river or go upstream to Cathedral Canyon (recommended).

Tips: Go here on a warm winter day to avoid snakes and wear waterproof shoes!

Rough Road, Trail is hard to find and hard to maintain trail. What an amazing area if you can get there.

beautiful area, though not a maintained trail it was packed down well enough to easily see the way. went after a rain and there were many waterfalls

Tuesday, August 09, 2016