Lost Valley Trail: Short Loop

Lost Valley Trail: Short Loop is a 8.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Defiance, Missouri that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I hiked this trail CCW on a very warm Monday in September. I only encountered 3 mountain bikers but no other hikers.

I'd already hiked the longer Lost Valley Trail CW which is the direction in which the Carsonite marker posts face. So instead of counting up the miles in half-mile increments, they counted down the mileage if one viewed their reverse side.

I personally would recommend hiking CW as that puts a long downhill two track road at the end of the hike. I prefer to get the more challenging hiking done at the beginning.

This is a lollipop trail and the beginning stem portion takes about 15 to 20 minutes walking time (rather flat) before you reach the circular section of the trail.

Essentially, the hike ascends as you head north. My favorite part of this hike is the furthest north section where you hike the hilltops. I'm looking forward to doing this section when the trees have shed their leaves and that opens up more views of the surrounding hills.

BTW, the Alltrails app GPS showed the distance as 9.9 miles. I'm not a fast hiker. My moving time was 3:40. Due to the heat in the 90s F, I ended up taking about 40 minutes of breaks which made the total time 4:20.

Sunday, March 25, 2018