Lost Valley Trail Loop is a 10.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Defiance, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 636 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

A combination of woodsy trails, old roads and a few streams to cross.

Didn't really enjoy this trail for hiking, it's definitely more oriented for mountain biking. It also isn't marked well at all. There's not many scenic views besides when your walking along a creek. Other then that it's just woods with nothing to write home about. Beginning and end are both wide gravel roads

So much fun. Went off the main trail where the bikers go. But muddy but worth it. Some mats, but if you spray a mix a water and vanilla extract it keeps them away.

More like 11.2 miles. Parts are gravel roads and almost took a wrong turn at the power line cut which could have added quite a few more miles to the hike. Overall great hike, pretty and good workout.

It was a great trail! Very great for family hike! We put tick spray on glad we did. I was muddy in spots because of all the rain we have had but not bad but If you go after a rain beware of that. There are bikers and you do have to move for them now and then but no biggie.

Was a simple trail. It was easy for the younger kiddos. Had to cross a few streams getting feet wet. No biggy for any of the five. We all went through them no problem. Not a lot of scenery if that’s what you r looking for. Perfect to get the kids endurance up for harder trails I know they will enjoy. We didn’t do the full, we split it for the kiddos.

flooded

It was a good trail, I took my dog and he loved it. We went about at 6 am and it was nearly empty, but it had been raining all day so the trail was a little muddy. Some parts aren’t very scenic, but I do plan on going back, it’s definitely fun.

Loved this one even though we did half of it in the rain!!!!

Best Trail I’ve ran in the area. It’s a little over 11 miles total. One big uphill and a few smaller ones if you run it the correct way. I like this much more than the Lewis and Clark. No crazy views , but the whole trail is gorgeous and you can see some cool stuff the farther you into it you get. Another pro is that there aren’t as many people on this trail so the trail itself is a lot more technical and seems a lot more secluded than other trails I’ve ran in the area. The only minor complaints are the few sections where it’s gravel and the power line section, but this adds diversity and can help you make up time lost on the uphills. Will definitely be running it again.

Pretty weird seeing fire hydrants in the middle of the woods! Plenty of terrain changes and good views. I would definitely come back to travel the connected trails. there appear to be more bikers than hikers on the trails.

This is a long one so be sure you’ve got proper shoes, snacks and water. Loved this hike. Not many people and no dogs.

hiking with fam

A nice trail for the most part, there are a couple of areas where you're just walking access roads but there is also a lot of scenic trails. Terrain is fairly flat as it is also used by cyclists. Lots of signs of previous habitation if you look carefully, there was once a town close to the trail and a lot of houses right next to where the trail now runs.

It is a nice meandering trail, nothing too tedious about the terrain and elevation gains are gradual. We went with our sons who enjoyed the opportunity at different spots to skip rocks in the stream. Definitely family friendly. A little muddy at times. We went out 2.5 miles and back the same 2.5, so did not come close to the full 10 but it was an appropriate level for a morning with the family.

11.4 mi / 718 ft elevation gain Rocked a Non-Stop double-digit hike today and feel damn proud of it. Only seen a few humans, they must have all been at Castlewood Park. All in all, this was a pretty solid hike. The terrain changed often, and the elevation gain was more gradual than anything else. Around 9 miles in, hiking clockwise around the loop, there was a pretty difficult stream crossing. It made me glad I brought my trekking poles, so after extending them and carefully getting across that stream, I finished this hike dry. There was a total of 4 crossings. Very muddy at times, I can see that on dryer days this is a good spot for mountain bikers. Didn't have to deal with them today!