Lost Valley Trail Loop

Lost Valley Trail Loop is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Defiance, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A combination of woodsy trails, old roads and a few streams to cross.

good trail, enjoyed very much but I walked the legs off my lab and wife and I am old (lol). it is not a dog-friendly trail, the dog must be on a leash.give it a try.

nice long moderate trail with variegated terrain, flora + fauna. very peaceful + modestly trafficked with a few hikers + bikers at this time of year.

The description is definitely wrong - this trail is no where near Cottleville, but is between the Weldon Spring Conservation Area and Defiance. This trail has a mix of hills, valleys, woodlands, fields, creeks, and the remnants of the lost town of Hamburg. Really beautiful in fall and winter.

This is mountain biking. Great trail. Great variety.

Nice hike, but GPS doesn't work and didn't record most of my trip.

had a great time riding the short loop, trail isn't located by Cottelville Missouri though might want to update that.

Many mountain bikes, just be prepared

The trail itself was okay. We didn't get to walk very far, one: because it was hot as hell and two: it's not dog friendly at all! After reading all the reviews and descriptions of the trail, my partner and I brought our beagle along with us. The trail is literally all gravel and medium size rocks, not exactly the best terrain for dogs to walk on. We had to turn around and walk back to the car because our dog was hurting and not able to walk very well on the trail. We ended up having to carry him the rest of the way back to the car. So if you're thinking about taking your dog, you might think twice. Other than that, the trail was shaded, had some hills, creeks, and even some wildlife. It was quiet and very peaceful considering we were the only ones there.

Nice scenery. Signs really messed us up. We ended up on a completely different trail.. thank God for Google maps. If you plan on doing this trail bring lots of water and make sure you plan out where to turn in advance!

It's definitely a good trail if you just want to be active but don't want to kill yourself hiking. The only bad thing is that more of the trail is vehicle paths than I would have liked, but overall it was a fun trail

Lots of mosquitos, other than that it was great

It is a decent 10 mile trail. Some pretty spots but after a while it got a bit boring for me. No interesting vistas or anything grand. A few bikers. It was secluded compared to the Lewis and Clark trail, so that's nice. However, the trail wasn't as fun to me as Lewis and Clark is.

So pretty and the perfect amount of challenging.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Peaceful and clean. Easy to walk along the path. Enjoyed very much. Definitely will return.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Nice trail for leisurely hike. Cool stream to walk by

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Not readily marked

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Trail was a bit confusing after mile marker 8. we must have lost the trail somehow since the last 2.5 miles we walked on a gravel trail that doubled as the Hamburg trail. Except for the last 2.5 miles everything else was great. Very well maintained trail. Great scenery especially from mile 3 to 7.

Monday, February 27, 2017

I enjoyed the trail, but I felt like I was lost. The signs didn't correspond to the map. More signs, please!

Saturday, February 25, 2017

I like this trail because you get options and see some pretty sights. I'm excited for warmer weather and pretty vegetation. Also, although the listing says Chesterfield, it is actually between Weldon Springs and Defiance.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

The signage was terrible. Very confusing, not well marked. Sight was okay.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

LONG and PERFECT SCENIC VIEWS/photo ops !

Thursday, February 02, 2017

I hiked this trail last weekend, a very easy hike with little elevation, nothing to spectacular, its nice long trail. I hiked the Lewis and Clark trail the next day which was 8 miles and was way more impressed with the Lewis and Clark then the Lost Valley. Lost Valley and Lewis + Clark both have great history.

Monday, January 23, 2017

Decent Hike Nothing Spectacular. Great history in the area which makes it a little more exciting.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Hiked this trail yesterday with my wife and our two daughters. Enjoyed most of the trails until we got to mile 8. After you hike pass the 8 mile mark there is an option to go right or keep going straight, but no signs telling you which direction to go. They need more markings at this spot, also at mile 7 it shows go left to continue on the lost trail and right for a short loop, which doesn't show you anything on the map where it takes you. Other than these few hiccups... great hike!!

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Great private walk! Less intense than the hills of the Lewis and Clark. Loved it!

Thursday, October 27, 2016

The dirt trails are awesome, a lot of gravel to get to them though. Took my dog and he loved the shade and creek nearby. Can't wait to explore this place again!

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

It was a great ride. I took about 4-5 breaks to look around and drink water. Total ride time was 1hr 27mins. 11miles total because I missed a turn and ended up on Hamburg trail.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Road about 3 miles at first, STAY ON PATH!!!! I made a mistake and thought it was an optional road to take. Road uphill and around a bend just to find an abandon parking lot???? Discovered this was an old ammo storage site for WWII. All buildings and roads are gone... would never know it was such a place until I found a handicap parking spot in the middle of nowhere..... Needless to say... wasted a lot of energy... it was fun, pack food and water... I can imagine the 10.5 mile trail can take about 3-5 hours to complete (that's what I heard from others). All depends on your skill level, breaks etc. I also suggest do not ride alone...its the woods and we do live in bear country and during the summer expect snakes... bring first aid kit...FYI. I plan to go back in a few weeks and will stay on path.

Monday, September 05, 2016

I was a bit bummed out by the amount of double track gravel in this trail. The first 2.5 miles is all double track gravel plus some other parts that added up to about 4 miles total. The dirt trail portions were great though! There was some pretty good scenery and I ran into a few Deer just feet off the trail, which was really nice. :) The trail is an easy moderate for running though. Not much elevation gain and not too technical. There were a few technical spots which were super fun, but overall, it was moderately easy for running.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Nice trail, very peaceful!!! Also had a tick fall on my dog and me, so check for ticks.