Lost Valley Trail Loop

Lost Valley Trail Loop is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Defiance, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A combination of woodsy trails, old roads and a few streams to cross.

The distance is best thing about this trail. Not much elevation change and a lot of abandoned roads. Watch out for bikers.

Great running trail. Light traffic consisted of a couple hikers and a couple bikers. If you haven't been before be sure to leave yourself plenty of daylight or bring lights. My run turned out to be just over 15 miles due to a few wrong turns... oops. I'll be going back again for sure.

love this trail.

Very boring besides a couple waterways, you should really just bike it instead of hiking it. Lots of bugs. Better off going somewhere else.

As mentioned in other reviews, this trail is shared heavily with mountain bikers. Always have to be listening. Especially when on the steep single lane trail. Bikers do come flying down those often. Other than the bikers, this trail is beautiful and offers changes of scenery.

This was a fun trail for running. Yes, there were a lot of bikes, but it wasn’t too bad. Plenty of technical stuff with some gravel and dirt mixed in. Great times!

Not my first choice for hiking. Most of the traffic on this single lane trail is mountain bikes so you are constantly stepping off of the trail to let bikes zoom by you without warning. Trail has a section of a 1000 switchbacks that will annoy a hiker because there isn't much elevation change. Great fun when you are on a bike but when you are on foot not so much.

This trail is probably five stars for mountain biking, and I give it three stars for hiking. The trail is overall smooth and rolling, I've hiked it once and was constantly stepping aside for mountain bikers. I would say if you want to hike in this area, definitely do the Lewis & Clark trail just to the east of this location. I also found this trail got fairly boring without much in the way of scenery.

fair trail, some nice water features

good trail, enjoyed very much but I walked the legs off my lab and wife and I am old (lol). it is not a dog-friendly trail, the dog must be on a leash.give it a try.

nice long moderate trail with variegated terrain, flora + fauna. very peaceful + modestly trafficked with a few hikers + bikers at this time of year.

The description is definitely wrong - this trail is no where near Cottleville, but is between the Weldon Spring Conservation Area and Defiance. This trail has a mix of hills, valleys, woodlands, fields, creeks, and the remnants of the lost town of Hamburg. Really beautiful in fall and winter.

This is mountain biking. Great trail. Great variety.

Nice hike, but GPS doesn't work and didn't record most of my trip.

had a great time riding the short loop, trail isn't located by Cottelville Missouri though might want to update that.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Many mountain bikes, just be prepared

Friday, July 14, 2017

The trail itself was okay. We didn't get to walk very far, one: because it was hot as hell and two: it's not dog friendly at all! After reading all the reviews and descriptions of the trail, my partner and I brought our beagle along with us. The trail is literally all gravel and medium size rocks, not exactly the best terrain for dogs to walk on. We had to turn around and walk back to the car because our dog was hurting and not able to walk very well on the trail. We ended up having to carry him the rest of the way back to the car. So if you're thinking about taking your dog, you might think twice. Other than that, the trail was shaded, had some hills, creeks, and even some wildlife. It was quiet and very peaceful considering we were the only ones there.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Nice scenery. Signs really messed us up. We ended up on a completely different trail.. thank God for Google maps. If you plan on doing this trail bring lots of water and make sure you plan out where to turn in advance!

Friday, June 30, 2017

It's definitely a good trail if you just want to be active but don't want to kill yourself hiking. The only bad thing is that more of the trail is vehicle paths than I would have liked, but overall it was a fun trail

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Lots of mosquitos, other than that it was great

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

It is a decent 10 mile trail. Some pretty spots but after a while it got a bit boring for me. No interesting vistas or anything grand. A few bikers. It was secluded compared to the Lewis and Clark trail, so that's nice. However, the trail wasn't as fun to me as Lewis and Clark is.

Monday, May 08, 2017

So pretty and the perfect amount of challenging.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Peaceful and clean. Easy to walk along the path. Enjoyed very much. Definitely will return.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Nice trail for leisurely hike. Cool stream to walk by

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Not readily marked

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Trail was a bit confusing after mile marker 8. we must have lost the trail somehow since the last 2.5 miles we walked on a gravel trail that doubled as the Hamburg trail. Except for the last 2.5 miles everything else was great. Very well maintained trail. Great scenery especially from mile 3 to 7.

Monday, February 27, 2017

I enjoyed the trail, but I felt like I was lost. The signs didn't correspond to the map. More signs, please!

Saturday, February 25, 2017

I like this trail because you get options and see some pretty sights. I'm excited for warmer weather and pretty vegetation. Also, although the listing says Chesterfield, it is actually between Weldon Springs and Defiance.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

The signage was terrible. Very confusing, not well marked. Sight was okay.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

LONG and PERFECT SCENIC VIEWS/photo ops !