Lost Valley Trail Loop

moderate 252 reviews

Lost Valley Trail Loop is a 10.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Defiance, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 636 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

A combination of woodsy trails, old roads and a few streams to cross.

recorded Lost Valley Trail Loop

A pleasant surprise. From the description and some reviews I wasn’t expecting much because of the gravel road section. The area of the long loop that currently runs under the powerlines and part of the gravel road does kind of suck, but other than that the trail is awesome in my opinion. If not for those two small sections this would be a 5 star rating. I took a clockwise route because I wanted to enjoy all the views and switchbacks before the gravel road section and I’m glad I did. I recommend this trail. Smooth trail, very few people.

Had a blast on this trail! A little muddy and didn’t have time for the full loop. Very dog friendly.

Decent trail... mostly level, gravel, lots of runners and bikes that made hiking more difficult.

flooded
icy

icy

great as always + given a nice break in the usual winter temps, our group had to trek the longer loop + take the abandoned road back to the parking lot. more bikers than hikers but courteous as always.

It was great hike, disappointed that there was no waterfall.

Signal wasn’t tracking me or I accidentally turned off the app but I went clockwise out and back 3.2 miles total. Easy flat stroll on a warm Nov day low 60s. Beautiful! Watch for bikers!

always a good trails w plenty of options for shorter or lengthier treks.

My wife and I finished the trail today. The trail was in good shape, and the fall experience was worth the time spent in the woods. It was a good day to take in nature.

This trail is just ok. several miles were flat and straight, and at least a mile followed some powerlines. The wooded areas weren't bad, just not especially challenging or scenic. I wouldn't recommend this trail in the summer as there are several stretches with no shade and some areas are probably very overgrown. Nice day for a long walk though.

too many bugs right now

this trail was perfect for a quick hike. My wife and I ran 10k on a hot and wet Saturday. The bugs and flooding was very minimal and we only noticed 1 tick, however we covered ourselves in DEET. All in all, we were very impressed and plan on making this trail a Saturday regular for Spartan training. Aroo!!!

Before you bike this trail I would recommend a couple things. 1. bug spray, I have never in my life seen an area so congested with mosquitoes as this was. I could not take a break, if I tried I was surrounded by literally dozens of them. 2. everything you need to change a tire in case of a flat, it is very rocky, and if you were to get a flat when in the thick of the trail it would be an extremely long and tough hike back pushing your bike. When beginning on the trail DO NOT GO LEFT it will be a never ending uphill battle through rocky hills. If you take the first right you hit a very nice wooded section with a pretty fun trail but it doesn't last long then you're stuck on a really boring gravel road for 3 or so miles(with a huge hill you will have to push your bike up) before you get to the actuall trail. You can take the trail going straight up the middle Skipping the entire right side, you miss that nice mile or so of wooded trail but it saves you from a large chunk of boring gravel road. Taking the long way around the right side, the total trail showed a little over 11 miles on my phone. All in all whether you take the short or long way to the top once you get past the gravel road and get into the actual trail it's fun to ride. It is a challenge forsure though, its not a laid back trail, at times I thought it would never end, it's very long but I definitely enjoyed it.

I clocked 12.6 miles from my car right at the trailhead and back. Didn’t get off track either. I don’t know if I’d say this Trail is amazing, but maybe it’s better with more greenery. Saw maybe 8 bicyclists and 1 other hiker. The trail was nice and all but didn’t have any real scenery and I imagine the scenery we did have will be covered once the leaves grow in. The airport nearby had many planes coming and going, and very audibly. The police shooting ranges that back up against the park sounded like we were in a war zone. That paired with the smoke from an apparent nearby prescribed burn just added to the special effects.

Best trail in the area as far as distance, terrain and scenery. I just ran it today after a lot of rain and when every other trail was too muddy to run, Lost Valley was perfect!

Sun Jan 06 2019