Lime Kiln Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glencoe, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Rockwoods Reservation harbors a rich diversity of plant and animal life as well as springs, caves, and rock formations. Cool, moist, north facing ravines and lush creek bottoms contrast with the nearby arid, rocky ridge tops, and south slopes. The terrain is reminiscent of the Ozark hills and, indeed, many plants and animals found in hill country are also found here. Although located near metropolitan St. Louis, raccoons, opossums, turkeys, deer, fox, songbirds, chipmunks, and snakes are common here

I really like this trail. There was a clear path most of the way and multiple changes in elevation. It wasn’t really high but enough to keep it interesting. I passed several hikers along the way, but overall very quiet. The only thing that was missing is a beautiful lookout!

Beautiful

nice trail... took 1 hour 15 min.

Great trail, lots of shade. Good when you want to get in a quick hike.

If you go right at the start there's a nice .75 miles with a lot of elevation although not too steep - a couple gradual switcbacks. the rest is mostly flat and beautiful terrain. no bluffs, no streams, although a nice Creek at the end.

I did the CW hike of this trail on Thursday, July 26th. The first 10 minutes or so parallels the main park road. Between you and the road is a spring-fed creek. It will end at a point where you cross a little foot bridge and see water emerging out of the rocks.

As others have mentioned, going CW gets the hardest part of the trail climb out of the way near the start. Once you ascend to the ridgeline, there is a bench that you can use to take a break.

One of the nice things about the trail is that, on the ridgeline, most of the trail is packed earth with hardly any rocks (in my case it was quite dusty). It resembled a bridle path but without any horses.

Finally, you arrive at the bench marking the descent back down to the trail base. The descent of the trail sure seemed a lot shorter than the ascending portion towards the beginning of the hike.

Once you get back to level ground it's just a few minutes walk back to the trailhead.

Like I indicated, I did the trail on a weekday. The parking lot was fairly full so I can imagine that on a weekend parking might be at a premium.

I am sure almost all people do this hike without trekking poles. But if I were going to do it again CCW, they might come in handy for the descent.

I have read some reviews mentioning ticks. But the path is rather wide and so I never had to brush up against any tick bearing undergrowth.

The trailhead sign said the the trail is 3.25 miles in length. I am a leisurely walker and it took me 1.5 hours to complete the loop while stopping to take quite a few pictures.

A good trail to run. A bit rocky in a few areas .I'll definitely be back.

Anyone lose two dogs on the Lime Kiln trail. See Facebook lost and found page. Looks like two vizlas found and turned into St. Louis County Shelter on Baur

Nice trail. I enjoyed the elevation changes, was also able to run part of the trail.

I Loved this trail! However, I took the suggestion of a previous reviewer and Did Not Go Left on the trail starting out.
OMG, Do yourself a favor... Go Left, the incline is much gentler.

I ran this trail twice, back-to-back; first clockwise(CW), then counterclockwise (CCW). The first mile of the CW loop was very rugged and rocky. This section of trail was a lot of “rock hopping”. I would say, depending on what your workout plan is, that the CW loop is a bit more anaerobic vs aerobic; i.e. your legs will few it! I prefer climbing this type of terrain as opposed to descending. The CCW loop has two climbs at the beginning. The first is rocky and rugged also, but not as bad as the CW loop; plus it is shorter. The second climb is not rocky or rugged but is much longer and steady. If you like rocky, rugged trails, then you will like Lime Kiln.

Strenuous, with many ups and downs, but worth the hike.

Great moderate hike, we went on a beautiful January day. Definitely more strenous if you go left first. Signage looks new, trails very distinguished. Lots of up and down.

Steep, rocky, and slick after the rain. This trail was challenging yesterday as the surface was a mix of mud and ice. The deep valleys cut by several runoff basins connecting have created some incredible terrain and the limestone exposures are beautiful. Took the connector from Lime Kiln to Trail Among the Trees but I was disappointed to find that Trail Among the Trees is a paved surface. The trails are not marked at all and with so many different trails in this conservation area it is easy to get confused.

Good trail - fairly steep in some areas - branches off to trail among the trees or you can do the entire loop without doing the branch trail

Sunday, October 22, 2017

great day for a hike!

Thursday, September 21, 2017

This trail has some challenging climbs with tricky footing. I had to slow down on the descents going both directions, mainly due to footing and grade. Starting out, Clockwise gives you a little more of a flat stretch to warm up on. Whereas counter clockwise is balls to the wall almost from the word balls! I tend to use this trail as a connector to rock hollow.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Nice short hike with good elevation.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

My 2 daughters, 2 dogs and I were here this past Tuesday. The trail was was pretty and challenging but there was so much rock that one of my daughters fell several times. And SEED TICKS!!! It is now Friday and I am still trying to get them off of my dogs. I would highly recommend leaving your dogs at home for this one!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Challenging enough and quite beautiful not heavily trafficked is a plus

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Definitely go counter clockwise if you want an easier path. When you go clockwise, it starts along the creek on flat ground with a bit or gravel, then you go uphill and downhill and up hill again where there is a lot of large rocks. Good cardio workout. Once you reach the top, there is a bench. Then you walk a little less than a mile on flat dirt and there is another bench, right before it goes back downhill, where there are a few large rocks, but not too bad at all. Beautiful view of the woods. Saw a few deer and my dog loved the path. There is also an off trail path next to the kiln, but I don't think it reaches anywhere. Expected a little more from the creek, as there wasn't a lot of water but it was very clear. All together, it was a good workout but a bit boring for me. Still scenic though, despite the seed ticks. Be careful for them because I got them after my hike here. They look like baby ticks.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Some nice challenging parts. A wee bit boring for the other parts.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Loved it. Dogs could take a dip in the creek for much of the hike.

Monday, June 19, 2017

A little muddy and slippery after our rain last night, but we really enjoyed this trail. We are not experienced hikers, so the elevation gains were a little tricky for us- but I would do it again in a heartbeat! Beautiful forestry, rocks and moss, the small creek at the bottom is a really nice treat. The Kiln itself is really breathtaking.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

I hiked this loop on 6/14/17. Decent trail conditions but rocky. Google maps directed me to enter Rockwood from Hwy 109. The road is under construction right now and you cannot access the park. You will need to enter the park from the north side (head west on Manchester and turn left on Glencoe Rd.)

Sunday, June 04, 2017

one of my favorites. beautiful views.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Definitely challenging with elevation gains. We ended up veering off Lime Kiln to take Trail Among The Trees and then to Rock Quarry and back again. Both are pretty scenic, though Lime Kiln is more challenging. Would visit again. Lots of downed and dead trees in some spots, with just a few parts of the trail blocked by such (but still navigable). Part of a bridge is out on Trail Among the Trees so there is a detour around it, though we ended up going that way anyway and climbing up the side.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Nice inclines, some good low rock formations and awesome moss. A pretty stream from a spring at the bottom paved portion.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

We are new to the hiking world and visiting from MN. This was the 2nd trail we did in MO and it was a lot of fun. Definitely more of a challenge for us and the dogs. Not that we were completely worn out after, it just felt like a nice hike. If we are back in MO next year this will be a trail we revisit!

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Adequate hike. The distance was good, and it presented very little risk of getting lost. For our more athletic participants in the group, it didn't have enough length or hill challenges. For our new hikers, it was considered a favorite that gave just a minor challenge.