Lime Kiln Trail

Lime Kiln Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glencoe, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Rockwoods Reservation harbors a rich diversity of plant and animal life as well as springs, caves, and rock formations. Cool, moist, north facing ravines and lush creek bottoms contrast with the nearby arid, rocky ridge tops, and south slopes. The terrain is reminiscent of the Ozark hills and, indeed, many plants and animals found in hill country are also found here. Although located near metropolitan St. Louis, raccoons, opossums, turkeys, deer, fox, songbirds, chipmunks, and snakes are common here

My 2 daughters, 2 dogs and I were here this past Tuesday. The trail was was pretty and challenging but there was so much rock that one of my daughters fell several times. And SEED TICKS!!! It is now Friday and I am still trying to get them off of my dogs. I would highly recommend leaving your dogs at home for this one!

Challenging enough and quite beautiful not heavily trafficked is a plus

Definitely go counter clockwise if you want an easier path. When you go clockwise, it starts along the creek on flat ground with a bit or gravel, then you go uphill and downhill and up hill again where there is a lot of large rocks. Good cardio workout. Once you reach the top, there is a bench. Then you walk a little less than a mile on flat dirt and there is another bench, right before it goes back downhill, where there are a few large rocks, but not too bad at all. Beautiful view of the woods. Saw a few deer and my dog loved the path. There is also an off trail path next to the kiln, but I don't think it reaches anywhere. Expected a little more from the creek, as there wasn't a lot of water but it was very clear. All together, it was a good workout but a bit boring for me. Still scenic though, despite the seed ticks. Be careful for them because I got them after my hike here. They look like baby ticks.

Some nice challenging parts. A wee bit boring for the other parts.

Loved it. Dogs could take a dip in the creek for much of the hike.

A little muddy and slippery after our rain last night, but we really enjoyed this trail. We are not experienced hikers, so the elevation gains were a little tricky for us- but I would do it again in a heartbeat! Beautiful forestry, rocks and moss, the small creek at the bottom is a really nice treat. The Kiln itself is really breathtaking.

I hiked this loop on 6/14/17. Decent trail conditions but rocky. Google maps directed me to enter Rockwood from Hwy 109. The road is under construction right now and you cannot access the park. You will need to enter the park from the north side (head west on Manchester and turn left on Glencoe Rd.)