Lime Kiln Trail

Lime Kiln Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glencoe, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Rockwoods Reservation harbors a rich diversity of plant and animal life as well as springs, caves, and rock formations. Cool, moist, north facing ravines and lush creek bottoms contrast with the nearby arid, rocky ridge tops, and south slopes. The terrain is reminiscent of the Ozark hills and, indeed, many plants and animals found in hill country are also found here. Although located near metropolitan St. Louis, raccoons, opossums, turkeys, deer, fox, songbirds, chipmunks, and snakes are common here

Steep, rocky, and slick after the rain. This trail was challenging yesterday as the surface was a mix of mud and ice. The deep valleys cut by several runoff basins connecting have created some incredible terrain and the limestone exposures are beautiful. Took the connector from Lime Kiln to Trail Among the Trees but I was disappointed to find that Trail Among the Trees is a paved surface. The trails are not marked at all and with so many different trails in this conservation area it is easy to get confused.

Good trail - fairly steep in some areas - branches off to trail among the trees or you can do the entire loop without doing the branch trail

great day for a hike!

This trail has some challenging climbs with tricky footing. I had to slow down on the descents going both directions, mainly due to footing and grade. Starting out, Clockwise gives you a little more of a flat stretch to warm up on. Whereas counter clockwise is balls to the wall almost from the word balls! I tend to use this trail as a connector to rock hollow.

Nice short hike with good elevation.

My 2 daughters, 2 dogs and I were here this past Tuesday. The trail was was pretty and challenging but there was so much rock that one of my daughters fell several times. And SEED TICKS!!! It is now Friday and I am still trying to get them off of my dogs. I would highly recommend leaving your dogs at home for this one!

Challenging enough and quite beautiful not heavily trafficked is a plus

Definitely go counter clockwise if you want an easier path. When you go clockwise, it starts along the creek on flat ground with a bit or gravel, then you go uphill and downhill and up hill again where there is a lot of large rocks. Good cardio workout. Once you reach the top, there is a bench. Then you walk a little less than a mile on flat dirt and there is another bench, right before it goes back downhill, where there are a few large rocks, but not too bad at all. Beautiful view of the woods. Saw a few deer and my dog loved the path. There is also an off trail path next to the kiln, but I don't think it reaches anywhere. Expected a little more from the creek, as there wasn't a lot of water but it was very clear. All together, it was a good workout but a bit boring for me. Still scenic though, despite the seed ticks. Be careful for them because I got them after my hike here. They look like baby ticks.

Some nice challenging parts. A wee bit boring for the other parts.

Loved it. Dogs could take a dip in the creek for much of the hike.

A little muddy and slippery after our rain last night, but we really enjoyed this trail. We are not experienced hikers, so the elevation gains were a little tricky for us- but I would do it again in a heartbeat! Beautiful forestry, rocks and moss, the small creek at the bottom is a really nice treat. The Kiln itself is really breathtaking.

I hiked this loop on 6/14/17. Decent trail conditions but rocky. Google maps directed me to enter Rockwood from Hwy 109. The road is under construction right now and you cannot access the park. You will need to enter the park from the north side (head west on Manchester and turn left on Glencoe Rd.)

one of my favorites. beautiful views.

Definitely challenging with elevation gains. We ended up veering off Lime Kiln to take Trail Among The Trees and then to Rock Quarry and back again. Both are pretty scenic, though Lime Kiln is more challenging. Would visit again. Lots of downed and dead trees in some spots, with just a few parts of the trail blocked by such (but still navigable). Part of a bridge is out on Trail Among the Trees so there is a detour around it, though we ended up going that way anyway and climbing up the side.

Nice inclines, some good low rock formations and awesome moss. A pretty stream from a spring at the bottom paved portion.

We are new to the hiking world and visiting from MN. This was the 2nd trail we did in MO and it was a lot of fun. Definitely more of a challenge for us and the dogs. Not that we were completely worn out after, it just felt like a nice hike. If we are back in MO next year this will be a trail we revisit!

Adequate hike. The distance was good, and it presented very little risk of getting lost. For our more athletic participants in the group, it didn't have enough length or hill challenges. For our new hikers, it was considered a favorite that gave just a minor challenge.

Good hike. Some moderately rough terrain in one area. Quiet and peaceful.

I went left off the trail head and there some steep hills in the back. Definitely want to come back later in the season to see how the trees and foliage blooms. Not many people on the trail.

I have done this a few times. It is a nice hike.