Lewis and Clark Trail - Lewis Trail

Lewis and Clark Trail - Lewis Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near St Charles, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Stunning views of the Missouri River Bluffs, Best hike in Metro Area This is the most scenic hike in the Metro St. Louis Area. Three sections of the trail pass by limestone cliffs and bluff escarpments where hikers enjoy a beautiful view of the Missouri River. These sections require you to take a short spur off of the main trail. The bluffs are usually about 25 yards from the main trail. These sections come up in the first 2 miles of the hike. Moderately strenuous for Missouri hiking. One possible, yet easy, creek crossing in wet weather. Be sure, at the creek crossing, to take the fork that heads NORTH or else you will be doing the full 8.2 mile loop (Lewis Trail).

my favorite trail around. a few beautiful overlooks which are easy to get to. a few steep climbs. i havent seen any snakes in the 3 years I have been going there. always well maintained. rocky trail so trail running shoes are beneficial. the 5 mile loop can be walked in about 2 hours. ran in 45 mins to 1 hour.

usually i will only see a couple people along the way. not busy at all.

6 stars

It was a very nice trail with great little stops and side adventures. The look out over the water is my favorite. Only thing I didn't like was the trash. No snake sightings, but we did run into a family of deer!

My favorite local trail. A tough series of switchbacks being you up and down the river bluffs. However the All Trail mileage is wrong, Lewis is 8.2 miles.

Great trail. All Trails says no dogs allowed, but the sign in the parking lot says dogs must be on leash. I brought my dog and saw several others along the way.
I didn't see any snakes like some other reviewers.
I arrived about 8:15 a.m., and the parking lot was almost full by that time.
I did the full Lewis loop which I enjoyed. You could take the Clark cutoff and shorten the hike by 2-3 miles and still get the same great views of the Missouri River.

Have been hiking this trail weekly for years, my favorite in the area. TRAIL RUNNERS FYI: I've been seeing copperheads just posted up directly on trail lately so be cautious.

Good workout if you take the 8 mile Lewis trail. Great views if the river and lots of elevation. If the streams and rivers had not been dry I would have rated it 5

There were a few intersections that are not marked too well. Glad I had all trails to keep me on track!