Lewis and Clark Trail - Clark Trail

Lewis and Clark Trail - Clark Trail is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Toonerville, Missouri that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was my first stop after a 4 hour drive from Memphis. I did 3 hikes in 3 days and this may have been my least favorite of the 3. There were 2 moderately hikes of elevation but fairly short duration. I took in 2 overlooks of the Missouri River. The trail had a bit of traffic, but the weather was nice so people were out. While there are smooth trails in parts, it gets rocky for several steps and I would be hesitant to bring a dog in that area. I got slightly confused staying on the trail when crossing the dried up river bed as the marker on the rock pile has no mention of the Clark Trail only Lewis. However, if you head off to the left you will see a Clark marker about 50 feet or so. The area seemed nice and parking was not an issue but I wouldn't need to hike this trail again. It would have been nicer had the trail had a bar on it so I could have stopped to wet my whistle.

Great trail with awesome views.

Thankfully I knew Clark was a little tricky to find from these reviews. We passed a few small dry creeks and came upon a larger creek bed with mostly white/tan rock. Coming out of the creek I saw a "Lewis 3" sign and knew wed had gone the wrong way. We immediately turned around, headed back to the creek bed.. followed it easily to the sign clearly showing where Lewis and Clark part. Easily got on Clark and finished in 3 hours with a few rest stops! Agree with other reviews... head left out of the larger creek for Clark. Head right for Lewis.

I will add to the mosquito issue, don't go without bug spray! Otherwise a nice hike. will take the extended hike next time. Hopefully will have longer views of the river.

Tons of bugs but 100% shade and great views of the river.

Tons of bugs but 100% shade and great views of the river.

The scenery is just amazing. Definitely bring water and a camera. Many parts of the trail are pretty muddy, however, so be sure to dress appropriately (or bring extra towels for the dogs). Several amazing spots to stop and enjoy the scenery! Easily my favorite trail to hike with the dogs. If you bring dogs, just be aware that the past few times we've visited there has been NO trash can to dispose of poop bags, either in the parking lot or along any part of the path!! VERY VERY BUSY ON WEEKENDS, parking may be difficult!! If you're planning on going on the weekend, be sure to come early!

Bring bug spray. Mosquitoes follow you in literal hordes.