Learn more

Lewis and Clark Trail and Lewis Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(827)
Weldon Spring Conservation Area

Lewis and Clark Trail and Lewis Trail Loop is a 8.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near St. Charles, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 8.3 mi Elevation gain 849 ft Route type Loop

Waypoints (0)
Contact
Tips
Getting There

This is the most scenic hike in the Metro St. Louis Area. Three sections of the trail pass by limestone cliffs and bluff escarpments where hikers enjoy a beautiful view of the Missouri River. These sections require you to take a short spur off of the main trail. The bluffs are usually about 25 yards from the main trail. These sections come up in the first 2 miles of the hike. Moderately strenuous for Missouri hiking. One possible, yet easy, creek crossing in wet weather. Be sure, at the creek crossing, to take the fork that heads NORTH or else you will be doing the full 8.2 mile loop (Lewis Trail).

MO Dep't of Conservation, St. Louis Regional Office, (636) 441-4554

Apres Hike Activity: hop back onto Highway 94 and head south for approx. 15 scenic miles to Augusta. Stop by Mount Pleasant Winery, The Augusta White House Inn, or the Augusta Brewing Co. Well worth the drive!

From St. Louis, take I-64 into St. Charles County, South on Highway 94, Continue on Highway 94 approx. 2.5 miles, Gravel parking lot for trailhead is on LEFT, Look for a wooden sign labeled "Weldon Springs Hiking Trail".

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (827)
Photos (1020)
Recordings (629)
Completed (1788)
Mike Barnes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 07 2020
HikingGreat!

Hiked this today in Missouri 92 degree heat, steamy and sweaty! However, as always it was a fun hike, the trails are clear with just s few mud puddles in places, the streams are mostly dry so make sure to bring adequate water. Make sure to take the side trails to the bluffs and sit and enjoy the views for a few minutes, that's a good time to rehydrate and eat a snack.

James O'Toole
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 05 2020
Hiking

(posted by Mrs.O’Toole) I am giving this trail a 3-star rating based on my first-time experience hiking it on July 4th, and based on the fact that it felt average to me. This is not a bad trail by any means, it is just that average means 3 stars in my book. - Based on some other reviews, I had high hopes for a wonderful trail. The description on this app is accurate; though, in July at least, I would not call this “the most scenic hike in the metro area.” I did not find it to be significantly better than some other trails in the greater St. Louis area. - The views are probably MUCH better when foliage is sparse. I would hike it again during fall or spring. - The trail conditions were fair to good: Not too muddy, and it rained the day before. It had been dry for several days before the rain. There were a few downed logs that were easily climbed. The trail gets narrow at parts but is well-worn and navigable. There was tons of shade the day we went. - The trailhead parking lot was crowded (expected on a holiday) but once on the trail, the activity felt moderate. We saw a good number of people but didn’t feel crowded. - The bugs were actually not bad until we got to the Lewis-only section of the trail. - Some people have said this feels more like an easy hike than a moderate one. Those folks must be fairly serious hikers/in great shape because this felt every bit of moderate to me. There are a few sections of elevation change. I am in my 30s, in decent shape, and I’d say I’m 3 out of 10 hiking skills. My husband is in better shape than me and he agrees that moderate is the right rating for the person in moderate physical condition. Hope that info helps you made an informed decision for yourself. - This trail is a loop with an option to cut off the back part. If you take the cut off, you will be doing the Clark Trail. If you do the whole large loop, that is the Lewis Trail. So, they are joined for the first and last sections. We did the Lewis trail. If you get to the Clark cut-off and aren’t sure if you should do the whole thing, consider taking the cut off. The Lewis section didn’t have anything particularly stunning to see (now this was July and foliage was dense). - The trail was well marked except for one place where the trail comes very close to looping back on itself near the junction of a creek. The creek makes it a bit hard to see the trail. This is somewhere in the middle of the hike. We eventually got back on track thanks to this app. - Take lots of water. - There are some benches and rock ledges that can make a nice spot for lunch or a break. - I recommend long pants. We had long pants and socks, and used bug spray. We did not have chiggers or ticks. But we definitely checked!! - Hiking pokes can help keep you stable on rocky stretches and incline/decline. - We did not see a place to swim or wade.

Muhd Hilwan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
Hiking

Really long. Nicer it was not too dry. All the rivers are dried up. Drink plenty of water.

View Muhd's Recording
Matt Martin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
HikingBugsRocky
View Matt's Recording
Kelsey Koenig
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
Hiking

We only did a mile out and back. It was fairly flat for that distance and great for a quick hike with kids. Very interested in coming back to do the whole thing!

View Kelsey's Recording
JT Taylor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 26 2020
HikingBugsGreat!

Beautiful trail. Well marked.

Joe Kopp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 25 2020
Hiking

My favorite hike in the St. Louis area. I recommend long pants, bug spray, and plenty of hydration. Trail is narrow in many spots, but well shaded. Only saw three people on the Lewis section of the trail. I had to get over a couple downed trees and walked through my share of cobwebs. Great spot near MM 4 for a snack and MO River view. I look forward to hiking this trail again.

Sam Teferi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 22 2020
HikingBugsRocky

I really enjoyed this trail. However, there are some things to keep in mind when taking this on. One thing about this trail is that it is heavily overgrown, with a lot of bugs. Also, I found that there are parts of the trail that are completely obstructed with tree trunks, etc., and you will have to navigate your way either around or under them. So if bending and being flexible is not your thing, I would recommend this trail. Other than that, it was a beautiful hike with a lot of shade which I loved, there are places to pull off and get nice views of the river and rest.

View Sam's Recording
Swati Narayan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 21 2020
Hiking

The trail was awesome and we really enjoyed it. There were some great views of the river and experiencing the rain midst jungle was out of the world. But, the next day we found a few ticks on our bodies.

Good Game
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 18 2020
Hiking

This is a decent trail, more beautiful in the Spring when the creeks are active. Completed the hike with my 1 year old dog and a 2 liter of water. He was worn out by the end due to heat. Great inclines that were mildly rocky and fascinating bluff views of the Missouri River. Probably best to go early morning or late afternoon if taking a fur friend due to St. Louis heat. I veered from the Lewis trail in two spots where it spurred off to the Katy trail. Luckily I had All Trails or I would’ve wasted a lot of time.

View Good's Recording
Ava Neels
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 17 2020
HikingBugsOver grownRocky
View Ava's Recording
Keith Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 14 2020
BlowdownRockyWashed out

This is a good trail. It offers challenges, and some beautiful views overlooking the Missouri River. Some washed spots, some rough places, but hey, this is hiking. The overgrowth was minimal. I had a few ticks, less than a dozen. I recommend the Lewis trail. It's longer, and less trafficked.

Naarah Pyscher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 14 2020
Hiking

Great trail! I think it would be neat that some of the connector trails were labeled. Also at the conjunction of Lewis, Clark and Katy trail it seemed a little confusing and I got turned around. But 5-stars through and through on this trail.

View Naarah's Recording
Paul V
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 13 2020
Hiking

The trail was clear and well marked, and some of the mud mentioned by other hikers has almost dried up. It was a nice brisk hike and I wouldn’t consider this moderate but easy. There are some nice views over the Missouri River, and I spotted some deer, frogs, and the birds sounded stunning in the late afternoon.

View Paul's Recording
Charlie Kaufmann
Hiking

This is a very scenic trail, but not well maintained. There were several spots where there were fallen trees which had To be negotiated. It was muddy in spots, but that is ok because you can easily circumvent them. Some parts of the trail could be widened to give a hiker more clearance from weeds and poison ivy. It still is a great hike. We are 77 and 68 and had no difficulty completing.

Todd Breer
Hiking

Nice hike. the 8,3 mile trail could have some signs or cairns in places where there is some question of which way you need to go.

View Todd's Recording
Susie Wiley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 10 2020
HikingMuddy

Great shady trail with nice river overlooks.

View Susie's Recording
Danielle Daume
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 05 2020
Hiking

Nice trail. The shorter loop is a wide dirt trail, fairly muddy in spots so best not to come after a rain. The section of the longer loop was more overgrown but still easy to follow. A few good lookout points over the river, dense trees everywhere else with lots of shade.

View Danielle's Recording
Tim Tierney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 03 2020
HikingMuddyOver grownRocky

Clark Trail Review. Scenic Trail with lots of shade. Great exercise but not well maintained, many low spots that never dry out, poorly marked trails and some risky 14" wide Trails cut into side of a hill. Great as an option, but not a trail for seniors.

Megan Daus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 01 2020
HikingBugsMuddyOver grown

Great trail for a longer hike that is near by to the county/city. Some elevation but mainly flat. With the tree canopy quite thick, there were multiple muddy spots, but they were easy enough to maneuver around. I will definitely go there again.