Lewis and Clark Trail and Lewis Trail Loop

Lewis and Clark Trail and Lewis Trail Loop is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Toonerville, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is the most scenic hike in the Metro St. Louis Area. Three sections of the trail pass by limestone cliffs and bluff escarpments where hikers enjoy a beautiful view of the Missouri River. These sections require you to take a short spur off of the main trail. The bluffs are usually about 25 yards from the main trail. These sections come up in the first 2 miles of the hike. Moderately strenuous for Missouri hiking. One possible, yet easy, creek crossing in wet weather. Be sure, at the creek crossing, to take the fork that heads NORTH or else you will be doing the full 8.2 mile loop (Lewis Trail).

This is a beautiful trail! Well kept but not very well marked in some places. However, the trail is fairly easy to follow.

This is my go-to workout trail.

One of my favorites. Great all year round!

Great day for a hike. Views of the Missouri River were great. Our tracker has it closer to 8.6 miles. Did the loop in 3 1/2 hours

One of my favorite trails to hike!

One of my favorite trails to hike! The bluff overlooks are beautiful and there's two options based on what length of hike you want. It does get busy on the weekends in the spring/summer.

very fun trail! family just went from trailhead to river lookout and back but look forward to doing whole loop without little kids!

This is an excellent trail, well maintained, and with breathtaking vistas of the Missouri River basin sprinkled along the backside of the route. The trail features shorter five mile loop as well as the longer seven to eight mentioned here. Seriously one of my favorite day hikes - I stop here at least a few times a year.

Also good for trail running in my experience.

Be very careful during wet seasons. I hiked this trail this weekend and ended up slipping on a muddy hill and breaking my ankle. The EMTs said that they have to pull someone off the trail once or twice a month. Very beautiful trail other than that.

I've hiked and ran both the Lewis & Clark. It is by far the best trail around! As others have discussed, depending on the time of year it can be muddy and mosquitos can carry you away. The trails can get a little busy on the weekend but it isn't normally very bad. Parking can be an issue.

The Clark can be hiked in around 2-2.5 hours.

The signage was way to inaccurate. The sign said we were .1 miles away, but it was closer to to 2 miles. I would not hike here again.

Hiked on 10/16/2018, and there were no mosquitos (yeah!!). I have hiked the Clark Trail, and the longer Lewis version. Trees are starting to turn. By 11/1, this will be an incredible hike with beautiful bluff views.

For a special treat, hike about 1 mile to the first bluff for the sunset. Easy hike back with a head lamp.

I did the Lewis Trail on a warm Tuesday in early October. The bluffs, ridges, and valleys were enjoyable. Although there are more bluff views on the overlapping Clark Trail portion, there is one bluffview on the Lewis Trail that surpasses all the bluffviews on the Clark section.

Athough I encountered 20+ hikers on the Clark Trail section, I didn't encounter a single person on the Lewis section of the trails.

A word about mosquitoes: although they were bearable on the Clark Trail they were quite thick on the Lewis Trail. I believe the reason is that on the Lewis Trail there are many more creek bed crossings that can hold some standing water. I hope to return after mosquito season is over. It was a nice hike.

My Alltrails/GPS indicated a hiked distance of 10.4 miles and a traveling time of 3:34.

Gorgeous and shaded trail with a spectacular view of river. Pretty easy overall except few hill where you will break a sweat.

We happened to hit this trail the day of a trail race. Everything was super well marked for the runners, and we had a cheering section when we finished!

Views of the Missouri along the bluffs were nice - bet they’d be even prettier in the spring or fall!

very shaded hike with a lot of butterflies and a few decent views. The trail is full of spider webs if you take the Lewis at the fork but still a nice hike

Can someone fix the website....The directions address is not right...it takes you to 94 Shaw Ct, which is a cul-de-sac off of Page Ave. The map itself is right, which is crazy, but the address is wrong on the directions link. :(

Really nice trail that is convenient to St. Louis (and close to the burbs). I went trail running today, in the midst of hot and humid Missouri summer. The trail was perfectly shady with off-shoots to view the river from the bluffs. I ran the 5.3ish Clark trail and only had to walk partly up one ascent so the hills were reasonable for an experienced runner and a nice work out. The trail narrows near the fork between the two trails but was easy to navigate. I found the signage acceptable knowing to keep an eye out for trail markers. The trail was not terribly busy mid-Saturday morning but the parking lot was full. Highly recommend!

There are several fallen trees you have to navigate around and the signage is not great. Otherwise, it’s a gorgeous and shaded hike with views of the river below.

Excellent mix of terrains. Ranges from easily runnable sections to difficult rocky inclines. Liked the fact that it was tree-covered and shaded. Great views of the river. Had a great run out there and will come back the next time I’m in town.

This is my Happy Place..

A little bit of everything, terrain and scenery-wise. Very well maintained.

Loved it! My wife, myself, and our five kids had a blast.

Enjoyed the Lewis & Clark trail. Beautiful views of the Missouri River.

Good trail to run. Well maintained. A couple fallen trees to go around. I went on a Saturday morning. The trail was a little busy but is wide enough through most of the trail to accommodate the traffic.

Fantastic hike. Completed the Lewis trail, which as other users have pointed out, is actually 8.1 miles. I did it backwards, which was an odd challenge, as signage was poor, but that’s my own fault. Recently downed trees block trail access in multiple points, making it necessary to go off trail to get around. Overall a great hike. Took me 3 hours.

Solid hike. The views from the bluff were breathtaking. Only gripe/warning I have is if you chose to start the trail heading east. It isn’t marked well or very defined. We lost it completely at the creek crossing and decided to follow the creek bed until it intersected the trail again down closer to the river.

That was fun, but with all the lose and sharp rocks my feet let me know later how the felt about it. We will definitely do this trail again when we come back to visit family.

Bad with ticks my dog is covered in them.

actually a little over 8 miles. Great terrain