Lewis and Clark Trail and Lewis Trail Loop

Lewis and Clark Trail and Lewis Trail Loop is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Toonerville, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Stunning views of the Missouri River Bluffs, Best hike in Metro Area This is the most scenic hike in the Metro St. Louis Area. Three sections of the trail pass by limestone cliffs and bluff escarpments where hikers enjoy a beautiful view of the Missouri River. These sections require you to take a short spur off of the main trail. The bluffs are usually about 25 yards from the main trail. These sections come up in the first 2 miles of the hike. Moderately strenuous for Missouri hiking. One possible, yet easy, creek crossing in wet weather. Be sure, at the creek crossing, to take the fork that heads NORTH or else you will be doing the full 8.2 mile loop (Lewis Trail).

Enjoyed the Lewis & Clark trail. Beautiful views of the Missouri River.

Good trail to run. Well maintained. A couple fallen trees to go around. I went on a Saturday morning. The trail was a little busy but is wide enough through most of the trail to accommodate the traffic.

Fantastic hike. Completed the Lewis trail, which as other users have pointed out, is actually 8.1 miles. I did it backwards, which was an odd challenge, as signage was poor, but that’s my own fault. Recently downed trees block trail access in multiple points, making it necessary to go off trail to get around. Overall a great hike. Took me 3 hours.

Solid hike. The views from the bluff were breathtaking. Only gripe/warning I have is if you chose to start the trail heading east. It isn’t marked well or very defined. We lost it completely at the creek crossing and decided to follow the creek bed until it intersected the trail again down closer to the river.

That was fun, but with all the lose and sharp rocks my feet let me know later how the felt about it. We will definitely do this trail again when we come back to visit family.

Bad with ticks my dog is covered in them.

actually a little over 8 miles. Great terrain

This is one of my favorite trail systems in the area that I can get to quickly from my house. You can kind of get it all here, for Missouri anyway. Right off the bat you quickly hit a nice, scenic Missouri River view, and as you continue along the bluff there are multiple spots for stopping at lookouts. I usually take a 20-30 lb. pack and use this area for training, you get some steady, steep inclines out here that will knock the wind out of you and get your heart rate up. I enjoy hiking the longer Lewis trail by myself, and once you get on the east path, where Lewis splits off from Clark, I usually find it pretty solitary which is nice.

A couple of things to note, at certain times of year the mosquitos can be absolutely abysmal. I've been here when it's really just impossible to stop moving, and you can see a literal cloud of them chasing you, like little buzzing, blood-lusting zombies. Coming prepared with deet spray and a mosquito net, long pants and sleeves is a requirement.

This trail does have potential to get muddy at times, so be prepared for that as well after it rains.

Great trail overall, couple of tough hills for this beginner - it was my second time hiking the shorter trail - but highly recommended. Went on a weekday and it wasn’t crowded at all.

A great workout with wonderful scenery, particularly late spring. As many ascents and descents as I was expecting, however the trail variety I wasn't. Some parts are pretty heavily trafficked and dusty, and other parts suddenly switch to lots of small loose rock. Definitely wouldn't feel comfortable doing this right after a rain or when muddy.

I did the 5 mile loop which was perfect, lots of things to stop and look at along the way, didn't feel like a short little nature trail. Makes for good mountain endurance practice. Will do 8 mile loop soon!

In you are wanting a trail that is pretty lengthy but has good scenery and isnt hard on your dogs paws I would highly reccomend it. Especially if there has been a decent amount of rain pretty recently when you go because there are some pretty creeks that you run in to!

Beautiful trail. Lots of variety in the terrain. Nice overlooks of the Missouri River.

Great trail, with good views of the Missouri River. It does seem to a fairly heavily used trail though.

Great hiking trails through hills and valleys, lowlands, and bluffs overlooking MO River. I have gone off trail into farmer’s field and hiked the woods between other fields to find more solitude and see more wildlife such as deer and a coyote.

Excellent hike - a bit muddy in spots but well worth it - the river over looks were great

What a great hike, lots of great river views from the outcroppings on the bluffs. Will definitely do it again!

Favorite trail with lots of big hill climbing and great views of the Missouri River. Crowded on weekends but if you go early you can enjoy some solitude.

Lewis Trail is 8.3 miles. Clark Trail is 5.3 miles. Both have great river views and some good hills. Always a great hike!

Great trail! Challenging, great views. The trail is marked well. Looking forward to hiking again this spring!!

Lewis has a lot less traffic on it than Clark. Very few icy spots. Trail was in good condition and easy to follow. There is one spot where a sign would be helpful - there is a cut to the Katy Trail that is easy to mistake for the trail. Distance is 8.2 miles.

good diverse trail with varied elevation. features fine dust + rocky pathways.

A favorite that’s close by!

my favorite trail around. a few beautiful overlooks which are easy to get to. a few steep climbs. i havent seen any snakes in the 3 years I have been going there. always well maintained. rocky trail so trail running shoes are beneficial. the 5 mile loop can be walked in about 2 hours. ran in 45 mins to 1 hour.

usually i will only see a couple people along the way. not busy at all.

6 stars

It was a very nice trail with great little stops and side adventures. The look out over the water is my favorite. Only thing I didn't like was the trash. No snake sightings, but we did run into a family of deer!

My favorite local trail. A tough series of switchbacks bring you up and down the river bluffs. However the All Trails mileage is wrong, Lewis is 8.2 miles, and the elevation gain is closer to 1,600ft.

Great trail. All Trails says no dogs allowed, but the sign in the parking lot says dogs must be on leash. I brought my dog and saw several others along the way.
I didn't see any snakes like some other reviewers.
I arrived about 8:15 a.m., and the parking lot was almost full by that time.
I did the full Lewis loop which I enjoyed. You could take the Clark cutoff and shorten the hike by 2-3 miles and still get the same great views of the Missouri River.

Have been hiking this trail weekly for years, my favorite in the area. TRAIL RUNNERS FYI: I've been seeing copperheads just posted up directly on trail lately so be cautious.

Good workout if you take the 8 mile Lewis trail. Great views if the river and lots of elevation. If the streams and rivers had not been dry I would have rated it 5

There were a few intersections that are not marked too well. Glad I had all trails to keep me on track!

Beautiful empty trail with a great view of the Missouri River. Took the Clark Trail cutoff, which made this 5.3 miles. According to the sign, the entire Lewis Trail Loop is 8.3 miles.

Great trail. Took two hours twenty minutes
Clark trail 5,3 miles