Lewis and Clark Trail and Clark Trail Loop

Lewis and Clark Trail and Clark Trail Loop is a 5.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near St. Charles, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 564 feet Route Type: Loop

November 25 and 65° F. Great day for a hike on the Clark Trail. Being a Monday, I didn't expect so many people but the parking lot was 90% full when I arrived so a lot of people came out to take advantage of this great hiking day. The trail was in good condition with occasional damp areas but even those small areas were often covered by fallen leaves. With the leaves down, you get more views of the Missouri River from the bluff areas. Also, I didn't encounter a single mosquito or other pesky bug. I see that the Missouri Department of Conservation has changed the official trail length to 5.2 miles (as per the sign on the bench where the Clark Trail and Lewis Trail split).

It was much hillier than I expected. I wasn’t sure how it would be; if it was a wide gravel trail or real root infested one lol. But it was real, the Clark one is the perfect length for a short hike. Next time we want to do the Lewis one at a little over 8 miles

recorded Recording - Nov 03, 03:40 PM

Great trail with great views. Might be my favorite in the stl

Great trail- heavily wooded with some nice overlooks of the Missouri River. A few nice inclines to get the heart pumping. Easy footing throughout. My husband and I completed comfortably in exactly two hours. This one’s a favorite in the STL area!

Trail was a little muddy this afternoon but no real problem areas, after the rain.

narrow paths in some spots but a fun trek.

Decent workout for the average hiker. A bit on the muddy side today but easy to maneuver through or around. Nice views of the river in areas. Heavily shaded. Heavy traffic on the front side of the trail near the views, very little traffic after that.

Took a wrong turn and didn’t feel like going back. Trail was beautiful and muddy. Lots of dogs on the trail.

Some muddy spots and some gnats, but fine!

It had just rain briefly. The trail was pretty wet and muddy. The spider webs across the trail were endless. Would be a much better run on days with more traffic.

August 1, 2019 The trail was flood-free for this trip. Weekday traffic was light and the temp/humidity was perfect. I used insect protection which enabled me to truly appreciate this beautiful piece of land.

The Clark Trail loop has inclines, mostly shaded, and was rockier than expected. Great view of the Missouri River and worth the hike. Went early afternoon in July and hardly any mosquitoes and no ticks (we used deep woods off). Part of the trail was previously flooded but was clear when we went.

No flooding on the trail today!

flooding blocks lower portion of trail

The trail is under water along the river just east of the fork between the two loops, but there's a path just above it that you can take to avoid the water. There were also some muddy spots throughout, but otherwise the trail was in good condition. Very few mosquitoes, but we wore bug spray just in case. Great hike today!

Beautiful trail with lots of shade, but next time I’m bringing stronger bug spray

My family and I have hiked both of these paths many times. The Lewis path is about 5.5 miles and the Clark path is about 8.5 miles. Both start and end at the same trailhead, but split off and rejoin inside the park. When we went in June 2019 the park was split in two because the creek had risen out of its banks and flooded the lower area. The mosquitoes can be relentless, but for this area the park is one of the best.

Love the trail. I’ve been running it for years. But currently, the mosquitoes are unlike anything I’ve ever seen. It makes it miserable to do anything but run.

too many mosquitoes right now!!

I love this trail normally. Right now allllll of the mosquitoes out and bug spray was not enough. I’d avoid.