Lakeside Wilderness Hiking Area

Lakeside Wilderness Hiking Area is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Branson, Missouri that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Lakeside Forest Wilderness Area is in the heart of Branson and offers a nature escape with 140 acres of wooded and rugged hill country. Highlights include the 1911 Owen homestead, grotto, two small caves, and 315 stone steps. Trail 1 starts through an upland forest where mature trees dominate and the fairly level 3/10 mile trail makes for an easy walk to the steps. Along this portion you can relax on one of the rough hewn benches built by local the Boy Scouts. A set of 315 stonework steps lead down toward Lake Taneycomo. Fairly steep in design, this part of the trail takes some agility, along with a good pair of lungs and comfortable walking shoes. Many spots allow passage for only one person. The steps were built from 1937-1938. Inscribed in mortar on a step near the bottom are the building dates and the names of the workers, along with this testament of their hard work, Let those who tread here not forget, that these steps were not made of stone and mortar alone, but of sweat, blood, and agony. While walking the steps, you will see the first of two caves located in the wilderness area. At the bottom of the steps, the 1/5 mile Bluff Trail will take you by a grotto and waterfall and end at the Old Soldier's Cave. The total mileage for Trail 1 is 7/10 mile (one way). Trail 2 winds its way through forest and glades, making a 1 3/10 mile loop. This fairly level trail best suits families with small children and folks who desire an easier stroll. About halfway down the trail is a picnic area with tables. Oak-hickory forest makes up much of the woodlands, and during the spring, blooming eastern redbuds and flowering dogwoods enhance the landscape with their striking contrast to the stark forest. Also, note the large cedar-like trees with multiple trunks called Ashes Junipers. These uncommon trees are unique to the glades.

Very nice hike with my 15 and 11 year old kiddos. Took the trail to the grotto and cave, very unique and certainly worth a couple of hours.

My husband and I, along with our 9 year old son, hiked this trail in about 2 hours. Taking numerous stops to admire various beauties of nature, especially the Owen's homestead.

Difficult and hot trail, but great views!

Awesome trail - great for our family. Loved the caves, steps and wildlife. The grotto was definitely the highlight!

Awesome trail. Be in shape if you walk the cliff trail. Great scenery, take pictures.

I’ve been to Branson many times, but this jewel of a trail is hidden in plain sight. Amazingly, it’s just south of 76 at Falls Creek Rd. I’m too embarrassed to say how many times I’ve passed the parking lot without noticing the trailhead. A must stop for all hikers from beginners to old trail hounds like me. Most of the trails are easy to moderate. Very few difficult areas unless you are terribly out of shape.

I love this trail, and you'd never know it's right off the busy Branson strip. I went on a cooler July day, and there were flowers, all sorts of

Caves were a great touch. Well marked, with good inclines. Great access from Branson.

Not marked very well, but a great hike. Wanted to see the waterfall, but it was dry.

So glad we went on this trail. Views were beautiful and the caves were really amazing! I would have given it 5 stars but the trails are not marked well at all! We went off a trail and didn’t realize it for quite some time!

Enjoyable hike, several trails to choose from.

It’s a short, semi-technical trail that makes for a fun run in town. Some of the back trails are single track, but the highly trafficked areas are wide and even. I’d rate it higher but there’s no access to the lake.

Our family has done this trail several times. It is our favorite in the area. It is challenging but well worth it.

Very impressed considering it was RIGHT OFF the strip. Felt secluded for the most part but we went during the week. Caves are cool and some climbing, scrambling was possible in a bunch of spots. It was way better than expected you can’t go wrong here since it’s not far off the beaten path and as accessible as you can get

Nice little network of trails but they could use better markings. We apparently took one trail that wasn't even on the map.

Is this trail good for bikes? Thanks.

Love this place...gorgeous and a great workout

Lots of options on this hike, you can hike through this area without taking the steps but taking the steps is an adventure. They are definitely a workout, but doable if you allow yourself to take breaks when needed. This can be a scary hike for someone afraid of heights. The views are great and this is a park that has very easy access. You'd never know you were in the middle of Branson! If this hiking area had more rails on the steps (some parts were without rails) and if the waterfall was not dried up, I would have given it a 5.

This was a fun trail. Not super easy with lots of down then up but nice scenery. I'm a fan!

Gorgeous views at the top and the waterfall and rocks at the bottom are really cool!

great trail.

Nice hike. Kids really liked it.

I really enjoyed these trails. Some were quite easy, on the other hand, some were quite challenging.
The hard ones were the most scenic, beautiful, and interesting.
I took the hard trail up out of there; skipping all those stairs.
This is at the top of my favorites.
The negative is that the trails are not marked well. You definitely need a map; this is the link.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Not impressive. Trails not marked well.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Nice set of trails that have small caves, a waterfall (rainy season), some history and a nice view of the lake. I was hoping for a longer off the beaten path trail system, but it was good 2 hour hike. I just wished that AllTrail had the same colored path system as the park map since phone GPS was spotty.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

My cousin and I had a great time exploring out here. It was beautiful. We went out a little further and had fun climbing some of the different terrain. The scenery was beautiful, especially the waterfall.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Wonderful caves and waterfall!

Monday, May 29, 2017

A hidden gem right in the middle of Branson! My husband and I, and our 9 year old son loved it.

Friday, May 19, 2017

We take the dotted trail down along the cliffs. There are two or three small caves and waterfalls. We park a car at sunset park if we don't want to go back to the main entrance. Kids (9&11) love it!

Thursday, April 06, 2017

great views. be prepared for alot of stairs! made 100 years ago. I quite enjoyed this stop!