Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park Trail

Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lesterville, Missouri that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

A wheelchair-accessible .30-mile trail leads to an observation platform over the flowing waters of the shut-ins. The trail becomes more difficult, continuing up a stairway. Entering the East Fork Wild Area, Shut-Ins Trail follows natural tread through oak-hickory forest and small glade clearings, eventually returning to the main parking lot. This somewhat loop trail involves some short rocky climbs and a long series of stairs. You may also encounter some water crossings in wet weather. This trail is for day-use hiking only. No pets are allowed on Shut-Ins Trail.

Home this one backward for a real fun refreshing swim at the end and you also won’t be soggy for the hike itself. My 7 year old loved the shut ins and also some cool formations along the scenic trail in the woods We had a little high water. Yellow flag day. We had as much fun scrambling around up the various rocks as we did swimming

Great views, awesome trail!

go in the off season and go explore. get off the wood broad walk and into the woods!! blue trail was one of the best out of the weekend.

This trail was awesome! We went the day after it had rained all day and the shut-ins were full & gorgeous! There were even some really pretty waterfalls along the trail too - again I think this was because we went right after a big rain. Manageable with tennis shoes, but waterproof hiking shoes/boots would’ve made this trail more fun since it was so wet.

Would not consider it an easy trail. Moderate-difficult is much more appropriate. Great views!

Good scout trail.

Trail was fantastic and I had a great time. It was far more challenging than I would expect for an Easy rating though. It is easy through the observation platform and boardwalk. Once you hit the natural trail areas it is more difficult and is better classified as Moderate.

My husband is in a leg and arm cast, from an accident. The trail is paved, so it was glorious to get him out. We have 2 small boys and we enjoyed a picnic and a walk to the shut it's. I love it here!!

Great place to hike. A lot of the shut ins trail requires more technique. I would classify this as moderate to difficult and not easy.

good but busy

Did the trail yesterday, loved it.. great markings so we didn't get lost. Lots of people in the shutins but quiet on the trails, just how I like it..wouldn't classify it as easy.

Loved it! There were quite a few people in the main swimming area, so we went hiking first and ended up finding more secluded water for swimming. The water is clear and the hike was beautiful.

Was very nice! Some areas were overgrown a little. We started at the shut-in and walk down by the river. I did slip on a wet rock and ended up wet from waist down. My wife just laughed at me.

This place is the most amazing place I have ever been in Missouri. A must see.

Best short hike I've done. Great if you like elevations. Go counter clockwise. Fairly rocky so would recommend hiking shoes not Sandals. Shut-ins at the end to cool down. Not sure I would classify this as easy - especially in 90F ☀️

would not classify as "Easy" if you are hiking the entire trail.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Went in Nov 2015. It was my first time and had no idea what to expect. We were the only ones there and it was so breathtaking I teared up. It was one of the first times I really had the chance to see something so beautiful (being a city girl) and since then I vowed to get out into nature as much as I can and see new things. The winter silence of the water is so tranquil. Visited again during summer and it was packed and crowded so left a bit early. I love my hiking during the off times as you could say and this is one of the places that it is perfect for.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

Did this trail a few times many years ago with family and with scouts. Great area for summer fun among the cascading rocks.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Nice easy trail with combination of river and bluff views. Well marked, hiked in the rain, no issues with mud.

Monday, February 06, 2017

amazing place, great scenery

Saturday, February 04, 2017

LOVE THIS PLACE !!!
If you haven't been start making plans.
One of the neatest places in the whole state.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Great little hike with plenty to see and enjoy!

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

the best place on earth

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

I always stop by the shut-ins and elephant rock every two years or less. the shut-ins are beautiful! The last time we went it was in April and there was no one there. I recently moved just miles from the park and will be a frequent visitor now.

rock climbing
Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Amazing! Very beautiful view as well as a fun time.
Make sure to bring a change of clothes and swimming shoes and to be safe!

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Beautiful trial with wonderful scenery. Not too difficult but be prepared to get wet and watch out for some slippery rocks.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

It was beautiful! Four children and two adults spent four hours on the river crossing and climbing the rocks! :) bring water shoes

Monday, November 23, 2015

Fantastic park! Everything you would want in a backpacking trail. Did the Goggins Mtn to OT to Shut-Ins trail loop. Took about 6 hours. Great scenic overlooks!