Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park Trail

Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lesterville, Missouri that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

A wheelchair-accessible .30-mile trail leads to an observation platform over the flowing waters of the shut-ins. The trail becomes more difficult, continuing up a stairway. Entering the East Fork Wild Area, Shut-Ins Trail follows natural tread through oak-hickory forest and small glade clearings, eventually returning to the main parking lot. This somewhat loop trail involves some short rocky climbs and a long series of stairs. You may also encounter some water crossings in wet weather. This trail is for day-use hiking only. No pets are allowed on Shut-Ins Trail.

Trail was fantastic and I had a great time. It was far more challenging than I would expect for an Easy rating though. It is easy through the observation platform and boardwalk. Once you hit the natural trail areas it is more difficult and is better classified as Moderate.

My husband is in a leg and arm cast, from an accident. The trail is paved, so it was glorious to get him out. We have 2 small boys and we enjoyed a picnic and a walk to the shut it's. I love it here!!

Great place to hike. A lot of the shut ins trail requires more technique. I would classify this as moderate to difficult and not easy.

good but busy

Did the trail yesterday, loved it.. great markings so we didn't get lost. Lots of people in the shutins but quiet on the trails, just how I like it..wouldn't classify it as easy.

Loved it! There were quite a few people in the main swimming area, so we went hiking first and ended up finding more secluded water for swimming. The water is clear and the hike was beautiful.

Was very nice! Some areas were overgrown a little. We started at the shut-in and walk down by the river. I did slip on a wet rock and ended up wet from waist down. My wife just laughed at me.

This place is the most amazing place I have ever been in Missouri. A must see.

Best short hike I've done. Great if you like elevations. Go counter clockwise. Fairly rocky so would recommend hiking shoes not Sandals. Shut-ins at the end to cool down. Not sure I would classify this as easy - especially in 90F ☀️

rock climbing