Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park Trail

Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lesterville, Missouri that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

A wheelchair-accessible .30-mile trail leads to an observation platform over the flowing waters of the shut-ins. The trail becomes more difficult, continuing up a stairway. Entering the East Fork Wild Area, Shut-Ins Trail follows natural tread through oak-hickory forest and small glade clearings, eventually returning to the main parking lot. This somewhat loop trail involves some short rocky climbs and a long series of stairs. You may also encounter some water crossings in wet weather. This trail is for day-use hiking only. No pets are allowed on Shut-Ins Trail.

You know there are a few neg reviews...., but what it’s worth, it’s all opinion. I my self have been here twice once during a red flag day and once on the yellow flag. Some reviews are right if it’s during the “swim” season, then it’s probably not going to be as beautiful because there are a ton of people swimming through the natural slides of shit ins. However during the rainy or off season this park is gorgeous! Roaring waters, the smell of spruce and pine, greenish blue waters, a waterfall, traverse landscape...... I totally loved the shut ins during the red flag day. It was before the stores opened and tourist flooded it. We were one of about three couples there and it was peaceful and beautiful. I agree it should probably be rated a mild moderate. Probably not to good for kids in some places, but with a watchful eye should be ok.

This trail should definitely be marked as moderate. There are multiple steep and rocky inclines and a few drop offs. I would not recommended this trail for children. Also towards the end of the loop the trail split into 2 paths with neither of them heading back the correct way. Not my favorite trail by far.

Favorite place EVER. My family has been vacationing here since I was a baby and we love it. Camping at the state park is really nice. The shut-ins are just a few minutes drive from the campground and are amazing. There is nothing like them, even with the post-flood damage. There are also great trails at the shut ins for hiking. Elephant Rocks is only about a 20 minute drive from the shut ins and is also excellent.

Here’s the good, bad & ugly of it... For starters I’d rate this trail as borderline moderate/difficult due to it being a very challenging trail and a bit technical with a lot of large rock to climb up/down plus a lot of rock scrambles to maneuver across - wear boots & pants - the poison ivy is thick in areas and the trail always seems to narrow where there’s ivy but bring swim trunks & water shoes to cool off in the clear cool Black River on your hike. There’s an impressive waterfall if you hike after a rain and a few small stream crossings too. I’d rather have hiked this during an off season due to the mass of people enjoying the actual shut-ins, it just takes away from being out in nature when you hear a crowd on part of your hike. There are a couple areas that are just beautiful but all in all there’s not much to look at. I lost the trail 3 or 4 times due to a lack of markers but this app always helps gets me back on track. I would suggest beginning your day when the park opens at 8am to view and enjoy the shut-ins before they’re dotted with bodies and noise. I probably wouldn’t hike this trail again, not enough bang for your buck but I’m glad I hiked it anyway.

Took a detour on this while passing through. Definitely a neat little trail.

I would definitely rate this as moderate and not easy if you do the whole trail. But you can do a .3 mile on a boardwalk with stairs which is easy. It was a beautiful hike with great views of the water and we saw a deer up close.

Hike this one backward for a real fun refreshing swim at the end and you also won’t be soggy for the hike itself. My 7 year old loved the shut ins and also some cool formations along the scenic trail in the woods We had a little high water. Yellow flag day. We had as much fun scrambling around up the various rocks as we did swimming

Great views, awesome trail!

go in the off season and go explore. get off the wood broad walk and into the woods!! blue trail was one of the best out of the weekend.

This trail was awesome! We went the day after it had rained all day and the shut-ins were full & gorgeous! There were even some really pretty waterfalls along the trail too - again I think this was because we went right after a big rain. Manageable with tennis shoes, but waterproof hiking shoes/boots would’ve made this trail more fun since it was so wet.

Would not consider it an easy trail. Moderate-difficult is much more appropriate. Great views!

Good scout trail.

Trail was fantastic and I had a great time. It was far more challenging than I would expect for an Easy rating though. It is easy through the observation platform and boardwalk. Once you hit the natural trail areas it is more difficult and is better classified as Moderate.

My husband is in a leg and arm cast, from an accident. The trail is paved, so it was glorious to get him out. We have 2 small boys and we enjoyed a picnic and a walk to the shut it's. I love it here!!

Great place to hike. A lot of the shut ins trail requires more technique. I would classify this as moderate to difficult and not easy.

good but busy

Did the trail yesterday, loved it.. great markings so we didn't get lost. Lots of people in the shutins but quiet on the trails, just how I like it..wouldn't classify it as easy.

Loved it! There were quite a few people in the main swimming area, so we went hiking first and ended up finding more secluded water for swimming. The water is clear and the hike was beautiful.

Was very nice! Some areas were overgrown a little. We started at the shut-in and walk down by the river. I did slip on a wet rock and ended up wet from waist down. My wife just laughed at me.

This place is the most amazing place I have ever been in Missouri. A must see.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Best short hike I've done. Great if you like elevations. Go counter clockwise. Fairly rocky so would recommend hiking shoes not Sandals. Shut-ins at the end to cool down. Not sure I would classify this as easy - especially in 90F ☀️

Friday, May 26, 2017

would not classify as "Easy" if you are hiking the entire trail.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Went in Nov 2015. It was my first time and had no idea what to expect. We were the only ones there and it was so breathtaking I teared up. It was one of the first times I really had the chance to see something so beautiful (being a city girl) and since then I vowed to get out into nature as much as I can and see new things. The winter silence of the water is so tranquil. Visited again during summer and it was packed and crowded so left a bit early. I love my hiking during the off times as you could say and this is one of the places that it is perfect for.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

Did this trail a few times many years ago with family and with scouts. Great area for summer fun among the cascading rocks.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Nice easy trail with combination of river and bluff views. Well marked, hiked in the rain, no issues with mud.

Monday, February 06, 2017

amazing place, great scenery

Saturday, February 04, 2017

LOVE THIS PLACE !!!
If you haven't been start making plans.
One of the neatest places in the whole state.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Great little hike with plenty to see and enjoy!