Hidden Valley Natural Area Loop

Hidden Valley Natural Area Loop is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kansas City, Missouri that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hike through a natural planting program that Kansas City Parks and Recreation has carried out in the first part of the hike, then through woods to a lookout on a high wooded ravine. From there, you can hike further back to a cliff overlooking the Missouri River and 210 Highway.

Nice little hike. Took me about an hour. Mostly a green tunnel through woods you break into sunshine one short stretch. Fairly isolated quiet feeling except for a short stretch along a parallel line with hiway 210. Saw a big buck deer on my first hike about 15 min in.

Great trail. It starts in an open area but the majority of the trail is in the woods. I stayed in the obvious path and didn't have any trouble.

At first it was okay. Path was narrow and mostly dirt and mud, but we stuck it out. Bugs everywhere cause of the trees being in close proximity, got stuck by a couple thorn branches sticking into the path. Took a wrong path in the middle section, luckily it made it back to the main path. At the end the trail disappeared, we followed truck tracks to get to a subdivision and then followed the road back to the park we parked at.

The trail is very narrow and I lost it at one point. It also doesn't seem to be heavily trafficked. I took my dog with me but I wouldn't be comfortable going alone.
On a positive note it was peaceful and naturally beautiful

A great hike for being right in town. Trail maintenance overall was very good. The trail does split in some areas and there are no blazes. I had same issue as another reviewer that in the second clearing the trail was not hardly visible in the field. Luckily had map with me from AllTrails or I am not sure I would have found it. Overall a great hike for being in town and would highly recommend. I was staying at a nearby hotel and definitely needed a break into nature. Stopped at the park as well which was very nice and plenty for kids to do and great walking path. From the hotel and a couple small diversions I had 5.5 miles in and 2 hours.

A great walk. The whole loop took us 2 hours and more than 2.5 miles because it seems like we got off the path in the beginning going clockwise. A few bikers so pay attention so you don't get hit on a blind curve. We didn't see a homeless encampment and all the trash we saw seems like it was blown or dumped from 210 Hwy.(it is VERY trashy near 210 so watch your step.) The 1st poster said something about overlooking the river, this is impossible without crossing the Hwy which I do not recommend.
I will go again and try to find the correct path in from the clearing, all in all it was nice and there were a little bit of birds and skinks to see.

Great trail. A little steep here and there but so beautiful

Awesome city getaway! If you live near by! Yeah there is some trash by the highway! As there is by every highway! but besides about 30 yards of a 3 mile trail its pretty clean! Perfect for hiking and off road biking

nice hike. better than I expected

Trail was very pretty, first time I tried to find it followed Google and thought perhaps it'd been cleared out as there was a park with paved path. The natural area is across the street from the parks parking lot. Was pretty clear where the trail was until reached the highway going counter clockwise. After passing the highway area it gets a bit sketchy. wound up losing the path in the second clearing so walked through the clearing to the apartment complex on the other side. Encountered a family that had the same issue with losing the path. Leaves could have perhaps been a contributing factor. All in all not a bad trail. Did see a couple shelter remains but looked long abandoned. Pretty area.

I found no evidence of a homeless encampment and I have hiked all of the trail system here. It is a beautiful old growth forest with lots of topography challenges. Much longer main trail than the listed 1.4miles. The trail loops, but passes through two large clearings, so be on the lookout for trailhead's in the clearings. This is a lot of awesome packed into a very small package. I highly recommend it.

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Like the reviewer below, I was seeking a nature hike close to home, and this one had been included in the Hiking Kansas City guide. I would not recommend this trail to people hiking alone, especially women. I think there is a homeless encampment in here. I saw the party area dump noted below, and walked to the ravine overlook. I also walked around it and found toilet paper/feces, as well as campfire remains. I got a very bad vibe, and walked onward. A little farther on, my spidey senses went on high alert, there was a loud rustling in the woods, a plastic grocery bag flew up in the air, and I got the feeling I was being scared off. So I got the @#$% out of Dodge! I finally came to an open field that felt safer, followed that a little further and found a sleeping bag. Immediately headed toward the nearby townhome complex to leave.