Hidden Valley Natural Area Loop

Hidden Valley Natural Area Loop is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kansas City, Missouri that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hike through a natural planting program that Kansas City Parks and Recreation has carried out in the first part of the hike, then through woods to a lookout on a high wooded ravine. From there, you can hike further back to a cliff overlooking the Missouri River and 210 Highway.

The trail itself was beautiful and felt fairly moderate, although it may have been the 100+ degree weather talking. :) The only downside was who we are fairly sure was a homeless man hanging around at the far edge of the loop, near the highway. Didn’t get good vibes from this gentleman, and my boyfriend and I hightailed it through the last 1.5 miles. A shame, because the hike really was fantastic!

Went clockwise on my mountain bike. Some of the best flow trails I've yet to experience. I rated 4 b/c I thought the trail was going to be super easy, but I wound up having my 1st crash in my KC trailing life (I moved here in May). I've ridden Landahl, BSLNST, part of Lake Jacomo, Kessler Park, & Rancho Swope. A lot of those trails were quite difficult, some were extreme. None of them I've had a wreck in until this one.

It was on a simple dip that happened to be too steep coming up. I was going a bit fast & it felt like my front tire hit a brick wall - it knocked me off balance. It also slightly bent my front wheel.

Other than that, it was pretty great. Almost like a roller coaster. The valley was also magnificent. Will go back & be more careful. Heh.

This is a dirt trail that is very easy to follow, well-marked, and fairly well maintained. In dry weather it was completely fine but I can see it being very difficult in wet muddy weather. There were lots of butterflies, birds, and insects. We also saw a raccoon and a few squirrels. It was easily passable and enjoyable with a small dog. This would even be a really enjoyable mountain biking trail for someone with at least moderate skills. In terms of exercise, hiking at a brisk pace made for a decent workout with the number of hills and gullies. The only real downside was the number and frequency of spiderwebs. We probably encountered 40 to 50 small ones across the trail as well as significantly more off to the sides.

intense dirt trail. not easy but moderate.

very very exciting trail to bike on. warned to not ride when wet out. its hands down the best mountain bike trail in Kansas city. if you bike its like a rollercoaster. for experienced riders only. trail is actually 3.2 miles long.

Last part of trail was a little tough for me

Nice little hike. Took me about an hour. Mostly a green tunnel through woods you break into sunshine one short stretch. Fairly isolated quiet feeling except for a short stretch along a parallel line with hiway 210. Saw a big buck deer on my first hike about 15 min in.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Great trail. It starts in an open area but the majority of the trail is in the woods. I stayed in the obvious path and didn't have any trouble.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

At first it was okay. Path was narrow and mostly dirt and mud, but we stuck it out. Bugs everywhere cause of the trees being in close proximity, got stuck by a couple thorn branches sticking into the path. Took a wrong path in the middle section, luckily it made it back to the main path. At the end the trail disappeared, we followed truck tracks to get to a subdivision and then followed the road back to the park we parked at.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

The trail is very narrow and I lost it at one point. It also doesn't seem to be heavily trafficked. I took my dog with me but I wouldn't be comfortable going alone.
On a positive note it was peaceful and naturally beautiful

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

A great hike for being right in town. Trail maintenance overall was very good. The trail does split in some areas and there are no blazes. I had same issue as another reviewer that in the second clearing the trail was not hardly visible in the field. Luckily had map with me from AllTrails or I am not sure I would have found it. Overall a great hike for being in town and would highly recommend. I was staying at a nearby hotel and definitely needed a break into nature. Stopped at the park as well which was very nice and plenty for kids to do and great walking path. From the hotel and a couple small diversions I had 5.5 miles in and 2 hours.

Monday, May 08, 2017

A great walk. The whole loop took us 2 hours and more than 2.5 miles because it seems like we got off the path in the beginning going clockwise. A few bikers so pay attention so you don't get hit on a blind curve. We didn't see a homeless encampment and all the trash we saw seems like it was blown or dumped from 210 Hwy.(it is VERY trashy near 210 so watch your step.) The 1st poster said something about overlooking the river, this is impossible without crossing the Hwy which I do not recommend.
I will go again and try to find the correct path in from the clearing, all in all it was nice and there were a little bit of birds and skinks to see.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Great trail. A little steep here and there but so beautiful

Monday, March 06, 2017

Awesome city getaway! If you live near by! Yeah there is some trash by the highway! As there is by every highway! but besides about 30 yards of a 3 mile trail its pretty clean! Perfect for hiking and off road biking

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

nice hike. better than I expected

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Trail was very pretty, first time I tried to find it followed Google and thought perhaps it'd been cleared out as there was a park with paved path. The natural area is across the street from the parks parking lot. Was pretty clear where the trail was until reached the highway going counter clockwise. After passing the highway area it gets a bit sketchy. wound up losing the path in the second clearing so walked through the clearing to the apartment complex on the other side. Encountered a family that had the same issue with losing the path. Leaves could have perhaps been a contributing factor. All in all not a bad trail. Did see a couple shelter remains but looked long abandoned. Pretty area.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

I found no evidence of a homeless encampment and I have hiked all of the trail system here. It is a beautiful old growth forest with lots of topography challenges. Much longer main trail than the listed 1.4miles. The trail loops, but passes through two large clearings, so be on the lookout for trailhead's in the clearings. This is a lot of awesome packed into a very small package. I highly recommend it.

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Like the reviewer below, I was seeking a nature hike close to home, and this one had been included in the Hiking Kansas City guide. I would not recommend this trail to people hiking alone, especially women. I think there is a homeless encampment in here. I saw the party area dump noted below, and walked to the ravine overlook. I also walked around it and found toilet paper/feces, as well as campfire remains. I got a very bad vibe, and walked onward. A little farther on, my spidey senses went on high alert, there was a loud rustling in the woods, a plastic grocery bag flew up in the air, and I got the feeling I was being scared off. So I got the @#$% out of Dodge! I finally came to an open field that felt safer, followed that a little further and found a sleeping bag. Immediately headed toward the nearby townhome complex to leave.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Because of a busy Saturday, my wife and I needed a short hike close to home and found it at Hidden Valley Natural Area. Parks and Rec is carrying out a nice natural planting program there, so there were lots of wildflowers as we started our hike. The trail quickly leads into the woods, but not before crossing over what must be a major party spot, judging from the amount of beer bottles, cartons, and charcoal bags. There are also lots of tire marks up until the trail enters the woods. The trail intersects with an east-west trail, and if you turn west, you quickly come to a lookout built over a deep ravine. That's as far as we went, but there were paths from there that I've heard lead back to a cliff overlooking The Missouri River valley and the old Sam's Club Casino. There are other side paths that we didn't explore but could spend the better part of a morning doing so if we were so inclined.