Grotpeter Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Valley Park, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 360 feet Route Type: Loop

Varied routes and the challenging terrain with numerous elevation changes make this a popular trail with all users. In addition to the main trail, five white connector trails, totaling 2.6 miles, are available to enhance, shorten or lengthen the users experience. From the trailhead, east of the park office, the trail crosses Kiefer Creek Road before climbing up and over a hillside. The trail then winds up another hill to the top of a long ridge. White connector trails 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 can be used to bypass steep sections of the trail. After reaching the pinnacle, the perimeter trail follows the crest of the ridge before starting a long downhill back into the Kiefer Creek valley and back to the trailhead.

My favorite trail in Castlewood because it is the least crowded trail (usually) in the park and less muddy than the River Scene trail. There is a nice part of the trail along Kiefer Creek behind the park office that skirts a series of scenic meadows.

Friday evening hike, and aside from the roaring motor of a bike, the trail was very quiet and very lightly trafficked. Not many mosquitos either. If you like rocky short trails and variations of elevation, I'd highly recommend.

One of my favorite trails. Well maintained. Lots of people and always dogs.

good trail it was muddy when I went so the going was slow but I'm sure on dry days I would move faster. Woods were very nice I will be back!

Was the perfect way to take my mind off of Coronavirus. So nice getting out of the neighborhood and trying something new with Ricki.

This is a trail I have hiked many times over the years, and have yet to get tired of. Granted it is not as scenic as some of the other trails close by, but this by no means makes it any the less worth doing. It is a great moderate hike of around four miles, which at an unhurried pace takes me around two hours. Initially very steep and rocky depending which way round you go. The rest of the way consists of hilly, heavily wooded terrain. Watch out for exposed roots and stones. Today the trail was dry, however after rain it is very muddy and slippery. Many different woodland birds will accompany you on your travels here. Heard first Phoebe of the season. Happy Trails!

Did this on 3/7/2020 along with lone wolf. No mud I was surprised. Last week did back side of Rockwoods and it was very muddy. Anyway, crowded but very few bikers. I suspect that will change tomorrow and going forward with nice weather.

This trail wasn’t heavily trafficked for a Sunday, but there were a few trails that broke off/intersected this one. There were a few other dogs and maybe 15 other people we ran into. Small pockets of mud, but nothing terrible. Not the most scenic in Castlewood, but it was still nice nonetheless.

It was a nice hike. Pretty standard for a winter hike. The trail was muddy but not too bad. lots of people out since was the first nice day in awhile. I would like to go back and do the other 2 trails in the park.

Very well marked, even the connector trails. It's one of less trafficked (but also less scenic) hikes at Castlewood. Very nice.

Good trail, almost desolate when compared to the other hikes in Castlewood which is why I like this one. None of the great views the other hikes have but good length and you still walk along the creek at parts. Good hike for a dog

Great hike just a little muddy in spots. Beautiful day...much better than sitting on the couch watching tv!

recorded Grotpeter Trail

The trail was extremely muddy today . The suck your shoes off type of mud. Otherwise very nice day.

Incredibly muddy

I took my dog with me who was very startled by sounds that I believe may have been gun shots- I’m assuming there’s a range nearby. This may not be a good fit for dogs with anxiety. Scenic and challenging! But currently very muddy

icy

We did a great morning hike with the dogs today. The trail was rather icy, but we survived, and we will definitely do it again. Beware of cardiac hill. It is definitely a heart pumper.

Beautiful trail ! A little wet but doable with appropriate shoes.

Still pretty muddy, but a favorite trail of mine.

Well you know, the average for such a beautiful day, over packed with people but hey it's 57 degrees on New Year's Day! A little muddy here and there but nothing terrible whatsoever. Ended up completing the Lone Wolf after finishing this one. Grotpeter is a perfect Trail for any hiker but definitely more on the easy, outside of one good-sized hill. Only slightly rocky, you could easily hike this in regular old sneaks if you wanted to. Combine Grotpeter and Lone Wolf to put the hike closer to 6 miles and over 500 feet of elevation gain. HH

My son and I had a nice hike this morning. The trail is very muddy with all of the melting snow, but very enjoyable!

Grotpeter was good, heavy leaf coverage and some rocky, washed out uphill/downhill sections. For an early morning Sunday in December the trail traffic was light but still busier than I thought.