Green's Cave Bushwhack: Hamilton Hollow Route Trail

Green's Cave Bushwhack: Hamilton Hollow Route Trail is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sullivan, Missouri that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

old growth

It's a beautiful hike with lots of twists and turns. You have to get creative in a few spots when passing over creeks. There one spot where the trail disappears and you have to walk the dry creek bed until it reappears. That was challenging. And be prepared for wet shoes during the rainy season. It can be hard to get across the different wet areas.

Also, the ticks! Holy cow! Brushed about 10 off me during the hike, picked off 11 when I go home.

But, the cave and its surrounding areas make it worth it. Beautiful!

Monday, November 09, 2015

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Friday, August 28, 2015

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Got some good picture and had a lot of fun but never found the 5mile trail....

rock climbing
Saturday, December 29, 2012

2 words--Tick Repellent!

Now, as awful as this report might sound, I LOVED this trip. We used this trail to get to the bluffs at Green Cave to do some rappelling (advanced permit required). The Green River was running very high, and we ended up having to catch a ride with some drunk canoers to reach the cave & its bluffs. Only problem was by the time we were done with the day, all the canoers were gone. We ended up having to swim up river for a few hundred yards, carrying 60lb packs. A buddy drowned his cell phone in the attempt.

When we got back to our hotel that night, we were CRAWLING in ticks. By that, I mean we used up a roll of duct tape, using strips of it to pull ticks off our arms and legs--there were far too many small ones to pull off one at a time.

This trip was great! I really did love it, but should I ever rappel at Green Cave again, I'll rent a canoe and float the river to my destination.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

One of my top 5 in the state. Caves, springs, old homesteads, vistas of the meramec river. Greens cave and bluff are the highlights of this hike. Greens cave with its 124ft enterance-is breathe taking. There is no designated trail to any of this, if you are not comfortable with land navigation, don't try it.