Fort Bellefontaine Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(228)
Fort Bellefontaine County Park

Fort Bellefontaine Loop Trail is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near St. Louis, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 134 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: This park is currently closed due to COVID-19.

Absolutely beautiful.

Great place to hike. Trail is easy and pretty much flat. Beautiful ruins. I would add pics but can’t find an uplink.

this trail is awesome a little muddy might need hiker water proof boots but great views

it is not closed. I hiked during the rain and the trail was still easily manageable as most of it is gravel. It feels like more of a walking trail then a hiking trail. Apparently normally Coldwater Creek is shallow enough to cross, but it was white water rapids this past week. Exploring the ruins of the old fort was cool. The staircase built in 1930 was beautiful and it's ashame the area went to waste. There are benches along the way to rest aswell as sone plaques to read. I don't see a need to come back unless I wanted to run, but it was worth the one time trip.

trail is open

This trail was an easy hike with changing viewpoints. You start off in an almost prairie type field until you enter the woods. As you go deeper into the trees, there are opportunities to go off the trail and take in some pretty fantastic water views. Eventually you come across some relics of the past fort which offer great photo ops and a glance into history. Take the time to read about it along your journey.

I was so happy with this trail. Good for all ages as I took my daughter that’s 2 and a half and baby wore my 10 month old. My daughter loved it! And was Easy for her to do! Would recommend this trail! We had a wonderful day exploring this area.

recorded Fort Bellfoutain

flooded

I hiked this trail a couple months ago with my wife and dog. All skill levels can complete this trail. It has a spot after the K9 training facility that is a bit confusing. Be sure to use the map on AllTrails. Other than the confusing portion, the trail is easy to follow and beautiful. From the river to the ruins, even the parking area, it’s a pretty cool place to be.

I read some bad posts about the trail. For example a guard station, juveniles on the trail, loud barking police dogs, none of this was witnessed by me. The trail is great, fantastic scenery, not overly challenging and will return often

closed for right now

Solid trail

Not crowded. Gravel trail. The creek & old structures are cool.

great trail and beautiful views, did this with my wife,5yo daughter and dog. there was alot of trash we bring bags hanging from our gear to clean up with but the amount would have taken forever we filled 3 bags each in the time we were there, but besides that I would list this as easy and a great place to spend the day.

What a beautiful hike. For majority you follow the river. This is a gravel path. The structures along the hike are blast from the past. At one point I got off the path because it’s not marked but once you see the green information sign and the yellow “gate” you follow that path, not the one that continues around the pond. Great for all ages. Does anyone know if you can swim in parts of the “River” it follows?

Great family friendly hike. Went on a beautiful day in March and it wasn’t too muddy. Agree with other posts....we’d say this is more easy than moderate and could use some serious trash cleanup. The kid loved the structures and fort.

I really liked this trail and would have given more stars, but there is a lot of trash.

Great trail-kid friendly. We were the only ones on the trail and enjoyed walking along the creek and river, then exploring the bath houses and grand staircase (make sure to go to the top for a view). Needs a bit of cleanup for trash closer down to the waterline.

Nice easy trail with some interesting ruins and views.

Nice trail!!! Creek views, river views and the old park structures are neat. good little hike. I'd call it easy. I did have a bit of a hard time finding the start of the trail. I walked down the gravel road and looped around past the police dog training site. no trail. so I did it again and found on the far side of the little pond there was a bench and what looked like a trail. there was a gate over it. I started walking down that way and sure enough, it was the trail. no other issues.

Nice solo hike - easy to follow and right along the river. Muddy but manageable. Really neat to see all of the structures. Will be back!

highly recommend

a lot of old ruins and a grand staircase make this pretty unique, it got dark before I finished so I need to go back and get a better look.

really awesome trail. ignore the people talking about how scary it is being that this trail is located at a juvenile detention center. you never see the kids. you never hear them. the trail is slightly overgrown but overall a really good hike. been going here for years.

It’s not a bad park if you don’t mind it being a juvenile detention center. It was very empty except for people you could hear in the woods. It was a very sketchy experience I will not be going back but all and all it was a cool to see the old historical staircase.

the whole wooded section of the trail was overgrown. they need to do maintenance on the trail badly.