Fire Tower Trail

Fire Tower Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cassville, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Heavily Wooded,Rock Ledges,beatiful views Rugged Ozark terrain, dense hardwood forests, open dolomite glades and deep hollows. The views from its wildflower-filled meadows remain pure wilderness. The steep mountainsides have extensive woodland belts that hide numerous stony bluffs, sheltered forest coves, springs and clear-water streams.

This trail has everything. A view of the spring with its clear turquoise water. Then a steep climb through woods to fire tower. Then great views of cliffs and benches. Then a bit along the river. It really is a trail that covers everyone

Very enjoyable trail. Fairly easy with some great rock formations on the lower side. Ran int a couple of roaring river employees before I started they were very helpful and informative.

Nice hike

Nice trail! near the end of the trail there is a nice mountain view....and the last mile or so was along the waters of roaring river.

Beautiful! Colors are just turning. I'd go back again. It's steep up either side.

Great hike. A bit slipping with Pepe's at spots. In the winter the view from the fire tower might be good, but even so, a hike I would do again. Great late summer wild flowers at spots.

Beautiful hike! We enjoyed the different elevation and views. Will definitely go again.

loved that the fire tower is there to climb really nice hike

Wonderful hike! great elevation, beautiful flowers, little cave like overhangs....beautiful!

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Great hike... lost the trail at the end.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

This Trail is beautiful in the Fall. If you start from the hatchery do not stop at the fire tower, which isn't worth going up, it has no spectacular view from the top. If you continue on you will come to an open area, there is a sign that says glade restoration, that has a great view of surrounding hills. Keep going! You will eventually cross a highway and the trail will start following part of the river where you and your dog can get in and cool off. It's a pretty long hike so make sure you take some water and snacks!

Friday, August 05, 2016

I love this trail. Plenty of level change and distance. The Fire Tower is a nice touch.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

It was really fun I thought it was going to be really hard but I'm 10 and it was really easy and fun there are little stems that are really fun too look at and there is a fire tower that you can go up

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

My favorite trail on roaring river. The topography changes throughout. The tower is a great place to stop for a meal and hang out. The park was flooded when we went last and we trudged through a lot of water, but it was still a blast.

Tuesday, November 03, 2015

I absolutely loved the hike on the Fire Tower Trail loop. Beautiful scenery and very well-kept hatchery, lodging, and trails. However, the "loop" is not a true hiking loop since you have to travel on the highway for the last part and to get back to your vehicle.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Came back to hike the trail again. Weather is perfect. I really enjoy this trail. The kids love it!

Sunday, October 04, 2015

Map is not correct. Good incline. Beautiful rocks to climb on. My four and six year old maybe it to the tower and back with no problem. Perfect weather today.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

The trail itself is very nice with different terrain and elevation changes but I did expect more from the tower at the end. After climbing to the top I was hoping to get some great pictures but because it was Spring and the trees were taller than the tower I couldn't really see anything. Nice hike though!

Monday, March 23, 2015

Very short, quiet trial.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

This was a great hike. Though the trees have grown about 20 ft higher than the top of the actual Fire Tower Lookout, it is still quite peaceful when you make it to the top.
It is a moderately easy trail and it feels far from any commercialization so you can really enjoy the beauty of nature while you are out.
Stay on the lookout for water moccasin's, though, as I did see one near a spring on my hike.

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Hiked the fire tower trail today. Short an sweet. Good to be home.

Monday, May 26, 2014

Don't use the map on this app for the trail. You will be sad when there is no fire tower at the end

Monday, February 03, 2014

Decent hike. The area was covered in bluffs to explore and the view up the mountain (or big hill) was breathtaking. Being up in the tower was peaceful although we couldn't see over the tree line.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

My Husband I really enjoyed this trail! It was super steep to start and the be Bear Aware sign made me a bit nervous, but over all it was wonderful! We got to see some amazing views, it really felt like you were lost in the middle of no where! There were times where the trail was hard to follow and I think we got lost into some other trail along the way, but all of it was beautiful so we can't complain. The river was picture perfect and there was one spot where we walked next to some gorgeous bluffs. The Dogs had a great time traipsing through the leaves, but refused to climb the tower! My Husband and I took turns climbing up and were both impressed at how sturdy it still is! I would recommend this more as a Fall/Winter Hike as the views would be more obstructed when the trees are full of leaves.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A good evening hike. Began at the Roaring River Wild Hills Area where we noticed some new signs "Be bear aware". We had a confirmed black bear sighting within 5 miles of the house last week which I assume prompted some signage in neighboring parks. All 3 trail heads start steep but once on the ridge it's fairly easy going. Fire Tower is below the tree line reducing what I hoped would be a great view. Maybe better for the fall without as much foliage. Be careful on the first flight of steps going up the tower as the left side railing was loose.

Somewhat disappointed with MO State Park because as we approached "Deer Leap Trail" intersection there was a clear sign stating that the Nature Center (other TH for Fire Tower) was to the right. We descended about 500-800 ft before I saw the next marker indicating we were on Deer Leap. Running out of daylight, we didn't bother to go back up and instead followed Deer leap to the River trail which takes you back to the nature center. From there, we followed the road another 1.25m back to the car.

With the additions and our decision not to go out and back, we totaled 4.75m.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Very strenuous and steep climb at first, but then levels out on top of a ridge that leads to the fire tower which is about a mile and a half in from the start .This is an out and back but just went to the fire tower and came back.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Nice hike that's takes you up along a forested ridge. Wide well maintained trail that loops down, crosses the road and travels along the river.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Well maintained trail with nice views along the way to the fire tower at about the halfway point from either end of the trail. Both ends of the trail rise sharply and then level out to a slow climb htrough the middle section of the trail to the tower. Some nice cliff overhangs to stop under for lunch.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Fire tower trail was a nice hike through the mature Ozark hill country. The highlight was being able to climb the old tower. The disappoinment ws the tower was shorter than the surrounding timber, so their was no view of the surrounding valley. Still it was a pleasant hike.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Did this trail once. Was a nice hike, a little steep in places. A good hike to get away from the crowds on the river.