Fire Tower Trail

Fire Tower Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cassville, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Heavily Wooded,Rock Ledges,beatiful views Rugged Ozark terrain, dense hardwood forests, open dolomite glades and deep hollows. The views from its wildflower-filled meadows remain pure wilderness. The steep mountainsides have extensive woodland belts that hide numerous stony bluffs, sheltered forest coves, springs and clear-water streams.

There is a lot to like about this trail...elevation, distance, scenery...But I was a little disappointed in the fire tower providing zero view and having to cross the highway twice. Enjoyed the finish along the river.

It took us over an hour to find the trail head. It’s off the side of the highway basically in the middle of nowhere. To get there you have to walk along the highway which is incredibly hilly/curvy and cars, trucks and trailers are flying by going 40+. We didn’t even walk much of the trail because it was too hot and we didn’t have enough water for 2 people and 4 dogs. As usual in MO, the water is a crystal teal and beautiful but this park was SWAMPED. The wading area was full of screaming kids throwing rocks at one another and the fishing areas were packed. I had no idea this was a giant trout hatchery and so that was a little disappointing. I’m more of a let the dogs off leash and see 0 people on the trails kind of person. The drive for me was 3.5 hours and I would never come back. It was a beautiful park but not for activities I enjoy.

Nice hike, only took a little over two hours at a mild pace taking pictures along the way.

Don't access at Hatchery, steep climb, use another.

Great hike. I wished it got closer to the river sooner, but all in all a good trail. tIt took us about 2 hours at a moderate pace. Good incline for the first half mile or so, then it eases up.

Longer trail with a steep climb early on making you earn it. What goes up must go down so after the tower you get the decline and after that it levels out. Little bit of everything on this trail.

This trail has everything. A view of the spring with its clear turquoise water. Then a steep climb through woods to fire tower. Then great views of cliffs and benches. Then a bit along the river. It really is a trail that covers everyone

Very enjoyable trail. Fairly easy with some great rock formations on the lower side. Ran int a couple of roaring river employees before I started they were very helpful and informative.

Nice hike

Nice trail! near the end of the trail there is a nice mountain view....and the last mile or so was along the waters of roaring river.

Beautiful! Colors are just turning. I'd go back again. It's steep up either side.

Great hike. A bit slipping with Pepe's at spots. In the winter the view from the fire tower might be good, but even so, a hike I would do again. Great late summer wild flowers at spots.

Beautiful hike! We enjoyed the different elevation and views. Will definitely go again.

loved that the fire tower is there to climb really nice hike

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Wonderful hike! great elevation, beautiful flowers, little cave like overhangs....beautiful!

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Great hike... lost the trail at the end.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

This Trail is beautiful in the Fall. If you start from the hatchery do not stop at the fire tower, which isn't worth going up, it has no spectacular view from the top. If you continue on you will come to an open area, there is a sign that says glade restoration, that has a great view of surrounding hills. Keep going! You will eventually cross a highway and the trail will start following part of the river where you and your dog can get in and cool off. It's a pretty long hike so make sure you take some water and snacks!

Friday, August 05, 2016

I love this trail. Plenty of level change and distance. The Fire Tower is a nice touch.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

It was really fun I thought it was going to be really hard but I'm 10 and it was really easy and fun there are little stems that are really fun too look at and there is a fire tower that you can go up

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

My favorite trail on roaring river. The topography changes throughout. The tower is a great place to stop for a meal and hang out. The park was flooded when we went last and we trudged through a lot of water, but it was still a blast.

Tuesday, November 03, 2015

I absolutely loved the hike on the Fire Tower Trail loop. Beautiful scenery and very well-kept hatchery, lodging, and trails. However, the "loop" is not a true hiking loop since you have to travel on the highway for the last part and to get back to your vehicle.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Came back to hike the trail again. Weather is perfect. I really enjoy this trail. The kids love it!

Sunday, October 04, 2015

Map is not correct. Good incline. Beautiful rocks to climb on. My four and six year old maybe it to the tower and back with no problem. Perfect weather today.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

The trail itself is very nice with different terrain and elevation changes but I did expect more from the tower at the end. After climbing to the top I was hoping to get some great pictures but because it was Spring and the trees were taller than the tower I couldn't really see anything. Nice hike though!

Monday, March 23, 2015

Very short, quiet trial.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

This was a great hike. Though the trees have grown about 20 ft higher than the top of the actual Fire Tower Lookout, it is still quite peaceful when you make it to the top.
It is a moderately easy trail and it feels far from any commercialization so you can really enjoy the beauty of nature while you are out.
Stay on the lookout for water moccasin's, though, as I did see one near a spring on my hike.

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Hiked the fire tower trail today. Short an sweet. Good to be home.

Monday, May 26, 2014

Don't use the map on this app for the trail. You will be sad when there is no fire tower at the end

Monday, February 03, 2014

Decent hike. The area was covered in bluffs to explore and the view up the mountain (or big hill) was breathtaking. Being up in the tower was peaceful although we couldn't see over the tree line.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

My Husband I really enjoyed this trail! It was super steep to start and the be Bear Aware sign made me a bit nervous, but over all it was wonderful! We got to see some amazing views, it really felt like you were lost in the middle of no where! There were times where the trail was hard to follow and I think we got lost into some other trail along the way, but all of it was beautiful so we can't complain. The river was picture perfect and there was one spot where we walked next to some gorgeous bluffs. The Dogs had a great time traipsing through the leaves, but refused to climb the tower! My Husband and I took turns climbing up and were both impressed at how sturdy it still is! I would recommend this more as a Fall/Winter Hike as the views would be more obstructed when the trees are full of leaves.