Engine House Ruins Trail is a 0.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Middlebrook, Missouri and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.
Built in 2005, the east entrance starts on a level, gravel 450-feet-long trail bed and leads to the ruins of an old engine house. The engine house was originally built to repair train engines and cards from the Iron Mountain and Southern Railroad in the 1890s and service Sheehan Quarry operations in what is now the state park. By 1902, 16 granite cars were being operated regularly, shipping Missouri red granite throughout the country. At the engine house or at the west entrance to the trail, is a largely dirt wide path that leads the visitor around the back side of the old quarry and over natural terrain.
Definitely worth the walk.
Fun trail just off the mail hike, be sure to include it in your visit.
Nice remnants of the engine house and views of old quarry. A simple walk to do while doing the braille trail