Dogwood Loop Trail

Dogwood Loop Trail is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near High Ridge, Missouri and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

I was there on Mothers Day. I guess from the flood, not many folks had been hiking the trail for awhile. It was really over grown. Not at all like I remembered it.

And the TICKS!!! Used bug spray and still picked 6 or 7 off my body when I got home. So disappointing....

Tick city!!! Don't know if the mild winter giving us no hard freeze, combined with the recent flooding ousting low-lying insects from their homes created the perfect tick storm, or what! All I know is that even with bug spray, we had ticks on our bodies and clothing. And my husband and I spent quite a bit of time picking literally HUNDREDS of lone star ticks off of our dogs! Really a bummer and I'm assuming it's typically not like this, since I didn't see much in the way of insect warnings in any other reviews. Thought I'd go ahead and mention it to spare anyone else thinking about venturing out on these trails the headache. Our dogs use the Bravecto chew tabs for flea and tick control. But the thing is, the ticks apparently have to ingest their blood first, then drop dead....sooo, yeah... that was a nightmare to deal with bringing , no joke, HUNDREDS of ticks home on the dogs. If you're thinking about hiking these trails, douse yourself in powerful big spray and really, really consider leaving Fido at home! Or maybe wait for winter.... the ticks were bad.

If you enjoy seeing horses & having a few steep climbs this is for you.
You will come to a stream that you can't cross however, if you go right & up the hill I sends you back to the parking lot by Kraus Farms & that makes a nice long loop.

Did the multi-use trails: Yellow, Red and Purple. Did not see anyone else the entire hike. Very hilly so got in a good amount of exercise. A little noisy by the highway but not bad. Make sure to take a trail map so you can make sure you know where you are at when you get to a trail intersection.

It's a nice hike. You're on the trail and then suddenly it just stops because there's not a bridge to go over the stream. It looks like there was a cement bridge there. We went back around and crossed a makeshift path that goes through the riverbed. There are not any signs to warn you about this. Depending on which way you start out, it's either at the very end (if you start at the dogwood trailhead) or very beginning.

I have seen reviews about the traffic noise. I personally didn't find it bothersome. You're safely next to the road for 0.05 miles basically. It's not all that big of a deal.

Was ok. Wanted to run the 2.5 mile blue trail but didn't find that trail head. Portion I ran was mostly flat and gravel. Definitely geared more towards horses. I may study the map and try to make my way up onto the ridge and other trails next time.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Beautiful area.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

The highway was very loud and there must be a shooting range near. Very pretty.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

This is one of my favorite hiking spots for a peaceful hike. The drone of the highway is louder if you take the ridge further into the area, especially in the winter, but in the warmer months the lush forest blocks a lot of the noise. For large portions of the hike I can't hear it at all. The wildflowers are beautiful here in the spring and summer, and half of the time I don't see another person there. The flat, Meadow-like areas aren't challenging but feel like I've been transported much further out of the city. Very tranquil and relaxing.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

i liked the trail much more than i was expecting...plenty of wildlife and it was not crowded. i am definitely going back. there was traffic noise but it wasn't very annoying.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Sunday, November 08, 2015

Many trails criss cross the area and are more or less well marked.

The area is multi use, however, horse riders either don't care or are unfamiliar with the concept of trail erosion. Most of these trails are impassable mucks with dry stretches in between.

Overall a pretty walk with road noise toward the north.

Monday, October 26, 2015

Great. The traffic noise on the ridge was loud but behind the ridge is was perfect.

Thursday, October 15, 2015