Devil's Kitchen Trail

Devil's Kitchen Trail is a 1.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Camdenton, Missouri that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

The Devil"s Kitchen is natural surface loop trail takes you through dry chert woodland and glades before entering the Devils Kitchen sinkhole which is a small cave shelter. This natural surface loop trail takes you through dry chert woodland and glade communities before entering the Devils Kitchen sinkhole. The sinkhole contains a geologic feature known as Devils Kitchen, which is a small cave shelter. After descending off the glade and through a woodland, you will notice that the ground around you has large areas of rock. You will come upon an opening in the rocks to the right of the trail. As you travel further down and around these rocks, you will find yourself at the entrance to the cave shelter. If you investigate back into the opening, you will be treated to a view of the sky through the chimney at the rear of this cave. The trail continues past the Devils Kitchen feature to a steep concave bluff wall known as Devils Promenade. To reach the Devils Promenade, you must step across a small gap in the bedrock surface of the trail. After Devils Promenade, the trail climbs out of the sinkhole and crosses a county road, Post Office Road. Once across the road, the trail continues through an open woodland to the Post Office Day-Use Area, where it crosses State Road D. Follow the large footprints painted on the road surface to cross the road safely. An overlook here has a nice view of the castle across the spring chasm and an interpretive panel on the historic town Hahatonka. The trail joins tSpring Trail, Colosseum Trail and Dell Rim trail at this point, so watch for the brown blazes to follow Devils Kitchen Trail back to the top of the natural bridge. From here, you will cross State Road D into the Ha Ha Tonka Oak Woodland Natural Area parking lot where you started.

we have tried this trail twice with our kids and get a bit confused after we cross mail road and follow it up to park area. we have no idea where to go from there and we even asked a park ranger, who said he cuts the grass on trail, and said it's not a loop but in order to go back to parking lot, you have to walk same route back?

We actually hiked portions of Devil’s Kitchen, Colosseum, Castle and Spring trails. The Ranger tied them all together in a loop (see photo) with one short distance reversal, totally around 4 mi and we did it in less than 2 hours with photos and a few breath-catching stops during/after the 300+ stairs. It was a great way to see the various features of the park, but overall, I think we liked the Devil’s Kitchen portion slightly better because it was denser and very little traffic. Very nice hiking, possibly 5 stars for our home state of MO but we reserve our 5 star ratings for awesome national parks. :)

Wish the trail was marked a little better; but it was very beautiful and peaceful.

Trail heads and trail could have been better marked. The rocky awnings were pretty and overall, the trail was a fun, moderate hike.

Very cool features, esp the Devil's Kitchen cave and Promenade features. I wish the blazing had been better--I wasn't sure I was going the right way when crossing the Post Office Road and moving farther from the parking lot. The trail seemed longer than the posted 1.3 miles (but maybe I was just tired since this was my last trail of the day, after 4 hours!). I cut it short and ended up retracing my steps back to the parking lot. I'll definitely return and do the full loop.

beautiful rock formations and a very easy trail.

loved this trail. it got a little confusing a few times with all the leaves on the trail but overall so worth it!

Really cool short trail. Awesome rock formations, tall bluffa, and a small cave. Would definitely do it again.

This is one of my favorite trails at Ha Ha Tonka State Park. I hiked here regularly in the early to mid 1990's.
The best features are the Devil's Kitchen cave and the Promenade. I gave it 4 stars, instead of 5, because the hike through the Savannah area is usually kind of boring, aside from a few wildflowers. However, there are occasional deer or fox sightings. Sometimes in Winter or early Spring, you can get a glimpse of a bald eagle soaring overhead.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Great trail - lots to see - can be kinda buggy on parts of it - so come prepared

Saturday, May 27, 2017

We started at the picnic area near the Natural Bridge, walked over the bridge, through the Devil's Promenade and Kitchen, then returned through the Colosseum and under the Natural Bridge. That was a great route with many great rock formations!

Monday, February 20, 2017

Great trail! Had a bit of everything; will go back for sure!

Friday, December 02, 2016

wonderful hike! lots of geologic interest! :)

Friday, October 14, 2016

Nice and shaded on a warmer day.

Friday, August 05, 2016

One of my favorite parts of Ha Ha Tonka. Take bug spray. But it's totally worth it.

Friday, July 01, 2016

Hiked in summer heat and the trail is plenty shaded. The trail was also clear which is nice for ticks in Missouri. Amazing rock formations.

Sunday, January 17, 2016

It was a bit too touristy of an area for me. It was cool to see the rock overhand and cave, but those two things were the only attraction to this trail.

Monday, January 11, 2016

Nice trail

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Great trail. Nice scenery.

Sunday, September 08, 2013

Was a great trail on a very hot day

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Besides the cliffs and sinkhole, trail was just ok. Rocky terrain, and unfortunately not much wildlife (perhaps time of year we went). Full of poison ivy/oak so highly recommend applying some repellent beforehand.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

I did this trail to extend my backpacking trail at Turkey pen hollow trail. This added 1.25 miles to the 6.5 miles Turkey Pen Trail. The sink hole and the cliffs added some nice scenery.