Devil's Honeycomb Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Irondale, Missouri that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 374 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Devil's Honeycomb trail is a hiking trail that is half forest with glades, savanna, and old fields. A unique geologic formation known as Devil's honeycomb is comprised of polygonal columns of rhyolite and can be found at the area's highest point. The rocks were once liquefied by ancient volcanoes associated with the St. Francois Mountains. Some of the molten rock contracted and cracked as it cooled to create multi-sided columns. A rhyolite formation, known locally as the Devils Honeycomb, is one of Missouri's geologic wonders, and is the highest point on Hughes Mountain. The areas glades are natural openings on western or southern slopes and are dominated by native grasses and a variety of wildflowers. Glades occur where the soils are extremely thin and usually include areas of exposed bedrock. The thin soils, combined with the south and west exposure create a uniquely harsh habitat. 2/3 of the area is wooded. The forest is dominated by post and white oaks with areas of stunted specimens of blackjack oak and black hickory. Glade plants include little bluestem, broomsedge, poverty grass, the small but colorful flame flower, prickly pear cactus, yellow star grass, spiderwort, and wild hyacinth. Animals often found on these glades include fence lizards, collared lizards, lichen grasshoppers, and prairie warblers. Exposed rocks within glades are often covered with a variety of lichens.

Beautiful trail and view at high point! Beware of wasps on your way up though hahaha. My mom and I got swarmed more than 3 times walking up the trail.

Short little trail, but really cool rock formations. Definitely worth the hike for the view at the top and to see the unique rocks at the peak.

Have known about this trail for years, but always skipped stopping there because of how short the trail is, and instead headed on to longer trails like Bell Mtn or Buford Mtn in the same general area. Having finally visited Hughes Mtn, now know that was a mistake. This is a wonderful place to wander and explore, and not worry about getting in lot of miles. So many cool things to observe. In the spring there are numerous wild flowers to see. Lot of fence lizards, that are fun to watch. And of course the unusual, unique rock formations. And even though the official trail is less than a mile, there are plenty of acres to explore off trail. The surrounding woods, at least in May when I was there, are easy to walk through, with not too much underbrush to deal with. Even had phone reception the whole time, so could just use google maps to head back towards the trail when wanted to. I rated this easy because of the short length. Even if you aren't too fit, you can just take your time and should be fine. There is a short, steep ascent toward the beginning, but after that nothing too hard.

Easy and short 1 mile hike to top. Rocky terrain with interesting rock formations. Countryside view of rolling hills, trees, and fields.

Enjoyed this quick hike. Went mid-week last week, and only saw a few other people on the trail. Everyone kept their distance. Not a difficult hike at all, but cool rocks at the top. Pretty open with not a lot of tree coverage past the first part, which meant the sun was pretty direct. A lot of exposure for my black dog on a hot day (we needed to keep cooling him down), so remember the water and sunscreen to hang out at the top.

This trail ended too soon! Upon making it to what seemed like the top, I wandered around the rocks looking for the next trail marker for ~5 minutes before realizing I was indeed at the end of the trail— the top of Hughes Mountain. I was enjoying the trail so much that I was definitely ready to keep going! I’m glad I brought a bag of snacks with me, not because I was famished from a hard trek, but because it was SO peaceful and lovely at the top. As long as you don’t mind sitting on a rock (there’s plenty of flat, rocky “seating”), I would SO recommend turning this into a little lunch date or family picnic on a nice day! I’m kind of surprised it’s not a more heavily trafficked trail, or maybe I just came at the right time. I arrived and started hiking around 11:45am (on a BEAUTIFUL Tuesday morning) and was seemingly the lone visitor with my canine hiking pal...other than a distant deer (I think) and a small lizard that my dog would have liked to make friends with. This seems like a GREAT option for families with kiddos, well-behaved dogs, or most anyone looking for a quick/afternoon hike. It is a little rocky; I would rate this as “Easy” in terms of being able to easily follow the trail markings, but indeed “Moderate” in terms of the rocky footing. (Today, in my favor, the rocks didn’t seem slick/slippery at all... I imagine a little recent rain would change that.) If your knees (etc.) are a little more on the “creaky” side, you might find yourself slowing down a bit on some of the steeper steps...but otherwise, it’s a mix between some spots that were a little muddy (nothing but the bottom of my shoes and bottom of my dogs feet got dirty) and pretty rocky. 10/10, other than wishing there was about twice as much length of trail to enjoy, I loved this and would definitely recommend to most anyone!

This is a must see for anyone who is in the area. Missouri has a lot of geological gems and this one is well worth the fairly easy hike. My hikes consist of toting a two and three year old along and this one wasn’t bad even carrying them all the way back down.

Nice hike to the top with a beautiful view. Rock formations were cool. The hike is more like 2 miles.

Muddy at the start today 01.05.2020 but once you get into the first rocks it’s smooth sailing. First time hitting it and was easy to find the top and the devils honeycomb.

Beautiful scenery, nice walk,trail was well marked further up not the first couple hundred feet but it still was easy to find.

It is a really unique place and a gorgeous view

I took the dog for a wonderful afternoon hike on a sunny and cool 80* day in September! We were the only ones there the whole time. Super easy hike with well marked trail. Lots of great photo ops and some pretty spots with excellent views of surroundings. I would love to bring my girls back in fall when the leaves are changing colors and there is a crispness in the air.

Tons of spiders. Bring a stick to knock webs down with. Quick and beautiful hike

Great rock formations and great views!

Easy trail, but absolutely beautiful. The view from the top is amazing!

Easy and short. Mediocre reward.

Absolutely beautiful view at the summit!! Be prepared for some steeper inclines, loose rocks, roots and difficult terrain for and inexperienced hiker. We were advised by another hiker that they saw a ferrel hog; they are a known problem in the surrounding area and can be dangerous, however, we cannot personally verify the sighting.

I hiked this trail a few times before i realized the trails goes further up. So when it looks like the trail ends, keep going up! It was definitely worth the view at top! Been back several times, one of my favorite shorter hikes

Sun May 12 2019