Current River Trail

Current River Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Round Spring, Missouri that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trailhead for Current River Trail is located in the southernmost part of Echo Bluff State Park. The trail provides access to many of the park’s amenities before traveling to Current River State Park. An at-grade crossing over Highway 19 is available for hikers using the trail to connect between Current River State Park and Echo Bluff State Park.

I mountain biked this trail and did not find it extremely well maintained or blazed. It had logical switchbacks and a good gradient for rainfall but there were multiple downed trees, few fresh looking as there was growth over the trees. I was glad there was no one on the trail but not glad to have to clear all of the spider webs with my face.
I did not see this trail marked for mtb but I'm not sure why not... in the 11 miles I did there and back (not finishing the trail completely) I climbed 3500 feet and although I had to jump off a lot on the way in and there was quite a lot of loose gravel the way back was a blast.
The highway 19 crossing was not the most confusing part of the trail as I saw a switchback maybe 1/2 mile after the highway for a trail with yellow markers that shared the Current River Trail for a ways. Also, leaving from the Echo Bluff trailhead (which was pretty clear and well marked) about 1/2 mile after the wheeler bridge you have to turn right to stay on the trail marked on this App's map but I believe staying straight on the double track trail will take you on the trail found on the Current River State Park's website,which has the trail ending at a lollipop of CR 19-50 and the actual Current River. IDK which is which but I had a lot of fun either way.

This well blazed and maintained trail has been lengthened since it was first added to this app and is officially 5.25 miles one way (I had 5.4 miles) making it just shy of 11 miles out and back. It passes mostly through forest but does cross a couple of roads and uses the Wheeler Bridge at Echo Bluff to cross the Current River.

It starts at the southern entry point for Echo Bluff State Park and ends at the gym for the historic 1930’s Alton Box Board Company corporate retreat at Current River State Park. I was lucky enough to run into a groundskeeper who gave me a tour of the gym and other resort buildings. Several species of fungi were on or next to the trail, including Chanterelles, Elegant Stinkhorn and a beautiful Indigo Milky.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

This trail is extremely well maintained and so grateful after some of the hikes I have done this summer. The trail starts with some beautiful rock formations, but is mostly through woods the entire time and ends at a small off shoot the Current River. The only reason I didn't give this was a 5 is because you do have to cross the road several times and it's not well translated until you search along the other side for the orange marker. In addition, there are no substantial views if you are looking for those.

Sunday, July 09, 2017