Cuivre River Trail Loop

Cuivre River Trail Loop is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Troy, Missouri that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 669 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Clear water spring, bluff views. The trail head for Big Sugar Creek Trail is located on the west side of the park road, midway between Camp Derricotte and Camp Sherwood Forest. The trail traverses much of the Big Sugar Creek Wild Area, including Sugar Bluff, a bottomland forest along Big Sugar Creek. The trail also passes through steep fern- and moss-covered hollows dissecting the watershed. The trail is open to hikers throughout, and to equestrians on the southern half. Overnight camping on the trail is permitted in designated spots for groups of seven or more, whereas smaller groups may camp anywhere at least 100 yards off the trail.

Maci and I did the North Loop (4 mi.) today. I know it’s early September so it’s my own fault, but....GNATS. OMG THE GNATS!! Relentlessly distracted me from enjoying the hike. We picked up the pace a little after the halfway point!! The trail was in good shape, a bit narrow (overgrown) in places but not bad at all. Trail is pretty rocky at times, so watch out for your doggo’s paws! We will have to hit this one again a bit further into the Fall. Didn’t even check out the campgrounds today which we normally do. Just wanted to be done!! Will hike again.

I only made it through the Big Sugar Creek section today. Had to take the connector back. The bugs were just too damn much. The trail was fairly overgrown, too. I'll check it out again in fall, after the first frost.

The trail on here is actually a combination of Cuivre River Trail and Big Sugar Creek Trail. Go right at the first intersection, then left at the second. I hate using my phone while on trail, but we had to rely on it to do this specific trail listed. Honestly, I’d stay away right now. We backpacked it, and the swarms of gnats were so bad we literally packed from trailhead to campsite (where we quickly built a fire in the heat to smoke out bugs), then campsite to spring (only because we were desperate for water) to trailhead. Any time we would try to pause to catch our breath, the gnats got unbearable. I’m pregnant and needed to stop, but just couldn’t. Now my face is swollen and my right eye can hardly open because of the gnat bites. I’m not one to complain this much, but the gnats were unbearable. Campsite #3 has no access to water and was hard to find coming from the Big Sugar Creek Trail. I finally followed a hunch, and went on what looked like a social trail that had “no hiker/no horses” sign on it. There wasn’t a “no backpacker” and it led to the well-established campsite. Coming from the other direction, there was a sign with the number 20 on it. I spent most of the night awake, convinced the campsite was haunted, and at 2:45 AM, I heard a baby crying nearby. As we packed out, we walked by a cemetery that wasn’t on the main trail. Spooky to say the least! In sum, stay away right now because of the bugs. We also pulled about 50 ticks off of us between my wife and I over two days. Water is scarce at campsites, but closer to the beginning of the loop is Big Sugar Creek and the end there is a beautiful spring. If it weren’t for the gnats, we would have been able to enjoy it. It was a fairly easy trail for backpacking with minimal elevation changes, just make sure you pack an abundance of water if you plan to stop at campsite #3.

Check out Big Crazy Outdoor Adventures or bcoa.tv on YouTube I’ll be posting this and other trails. On this trail there were lots of gnats. It had just rained the night before which I’m sure added to the bug activity. Lots of water and mud. The overlook would be an even better during the winter. I’ll be headed back for that. My favorite trail is Big Sugar Creek Trail with the view of Big Sugar Creek on top of a big rock cliff.

Combined North Loop with Big Sugar Creek trail for a quick overnight trip. Using AllTrails saved us several times - intersecting trails made it a little confusing. We had plenty of tick repellant on. Nice trail and nice campsites.

nice variety of terrain peppered with numerous tributaries from small creeks to riverbeds. several interwoven trails coupled with overgrowth making it tricky to navigate at times without a map. ticks emerging due to warmer temps.

Tue Oct 30 2018

best during cooler season,less bugs

Tue Aug 28 2018

I enjoyed the hike, but ended up with poison ivy, 100’s of chiggers, ands tick borne illness. Would never hike this area ever again.

Mon Jul 30 2018

Just hiking through trees. Nothing special. The trail was a bit overgrown

Mon May 28 2018

My wife and i hiked this trail and has lunch at the backpacking campsite. we accidentally hiked it backwards. but this trail is absolutely gorgeous. one of the most beautiful trails I've ever been on. it feels like you're in a fantasy book somewhere! absolutely amazing creek bed and tall canopy trees with ferns and small undergrowth.. only con: the ticks are outrageous. 30+ in just a few hour hike.

Thu Apr 26 2018

Nice trail that's easy to follow. Gets a little confusing right before connector 5 so pay attention to the trail markers!

Sun Apr 22 2018

Lot of trees down but very nice hike.

Mon Apr 16 2018

this hike is not 6.6 miles more like 4 miles.

Sat Dec 02 2017

It was awesome until we came to a section where 3 trails met up. We followed the orange blaze because that’s what the map on here was showing but then the blazes disappeared. From there we ended up at a point with several different trails all unmarked and tried to use our best guess as to which one was the actual trail. It didn’t work and we ended up backtracking and then finally bushwhacking back to the road and taking that to the trailhead. Additionally, the trail needed some maintenance in terms of large trees across trails.

Sat Jul 08 2017

This trail was much longer than the sign says. It was nearly 6 miles. A lot of steep inclines Great workout!

Sun Apr 09 2017

awesome

Mon Jun 27 2016

Great little hike for our first time. Not too strenuous, but there were definitely parts that you had to work a little harder for. Found a nice little creek that had water to hang out at and rest for a bit, but most of the waterways were dry.

Sun Jun 19 2016

Did the blue loop, distance was 3.8 miles. Nothing too difficult but the trail is steeper than the Mt. Bike trails I am used too. Blue trail was for hikers/backpackers only. Primitive camp ground at about half way through. Beware creek crossings (1-2) could be wet. Pretty country, heavily wooded.

Sun Apr 10 2016

this is one of my favorite places to trailride. we live 30 minutes from Troy and we spend at least 2 weekends a month riding the trails at this park. there are a lot of interesting things to see throughout the park. and it's so peaceful. I really enjoy when we run into hikers with kids. The looks on those faces when they see the horses. It makes my heart happy and I really enjoy when they are interested enough to want to pet them.

Sun Apr 03 2016

It was nice, a little muddy in places water was rolling in creek and fun to hike

Sat Mar 12 2016