Cuivre River Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(104)
Cuivre River State Park

Cuivre River Trail Loop is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Troy, Missouri that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 669 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Clear water spring, bluff views. The trail head for Big Sugar Creek Trail is located on the west side of the park road, midway between Camp Derricotte and Camp Sherwood Forest. The trail traverses much of the Big Sugar Creek Wild Area, including Sugar Bluff, a bottomland forest along Big Sugar Creek. The trail also passes through steep fern- and moss-covered hollows dissecting the watershed. The trail is open to hikers throughout, and to equestrians on the southern half. Overnight camping on the trail is permitted in designated spots for groups of seven or more, whereas smaller groups may camp anywhere at least 100 yards off the trail.

Too many ticks

We took this trail route through Cuivre counter clockwise, which took us on the Big Sugar trail and linked to the Cuivre River Trail. It was completely shaded and very pleasant to listen to the sounds of songbirds and rushing water during most of our hike. Although it hadn’t rained in the past couple days, it was muddy, which was surprising (perhaps a function of the high humidity).

7.0 mi / loop /moderate 715 ft elevation gain Features: River Was an overcast cloudy day but no rain. Overgrown in some areas but manageable. No ticks was a huge plus. Elevation gain wasn't bad either, a good lil 7 miles. Creek crossings here and there, but wildflowers were hard to spot. Saw a few different snakes. #HH

My wife hiked the 3.7 mile loop. It's blazed in blue. Fantastic hike. Great scenery. What I would say is the hardest part is simply the length. It can take up to 3 hrs to complete so I wouldn't recommend this trail for children under 13, unless they really really like hiking. My wife and I finished it in 90 min. There are couple of spots that are challenging but the final leg is the gravel equine trail so it makes for a great cool down. We will definitely be adding this to our list of regular hiking trails.

Great trail I would have given it 5 stars but the ticks were on a rampage lol. #bringdeet

From what we could tell by maps, this was a combination of parts of two trails, Big Sugar and North Loop. Could have been marked a little better in places, but it was a fun, interesting, challenging trail run. Will be back for this one.

Did the north loop yesterday. Trail was gorgeous this time of year. Bit of everything on this hike--hilltop view; 2 springs; pines; creek crossings; long views under the trees; a big, eerily empty riverbed. Only passed one other couple (on horseback).

trail was in good shape. not much understory- presumably was burnt off. we were able to see long distances. beautiful.

Saw a few deer both times I’ve done this trail. Many creek crossings. Can’t wait to do again when there’s more greenery.

We had a great hike yesterday. It has dried out for the most part. A few trees and broken branches had fallen across the trail due to recent heavy winds. This trail is. relatively flat on the south end. I plan to =put a hammock up by the stream and catch a nap on the. next hike.

icy

Great trail. Today just a little cold and muddy/icy. Had my son with me and he really wanted to fish, so we did. Nice time with him!

Trail 2 lots of mud and abundance of deer. Beautiful day!

The north portion of this trail is blazed in blue (it is the same other as part of the Big Sugar Creek Trail). The south portion is blazed in orange. The entire trail is marked well.

Nice, easy trail. Several easy, pleasant trails in this state park.

Maci and I did the North Loop (4 mi.) today. I know it’s early September so it’s my own fault, but....GNATS. OMG THE GNATS!! Relentlessly distracted me from enjoying the hike. We picked up the pace a little after the halfway point!! The trail was in good shape, a bit narrow (overgrown) in places but not bad at all. Trail is pretty rocky at times, so watch out for your doggo’s paws! We will have to hit this one again a bit further into the Fall. Didn’t even check out the campgrounds today which we normally do. Just wanted to be done!! Will hike again.

I only made it through the Big Sugar Creek section today. Had to take the connector back. The bugs were just too damn much. The trail was fairly overgrown, too. I'll check it out again in fall, after the first frost.

The trail on here is actually a combination of Cuivre River Trail and Big Sugar Creek Trail. Go right at the first intersection, then left at the second. I hate using my phone while on trail, but we had to rely on it to do this specific trail listed. Honestly, I’d stay away right now. We backpacked it, and the swarms of gnats were so bad we literally packed from trailhead to campsite (where we quickly built a fire in the heat to smoke out bugs), then campsite to spring (only because we were desperate for water) to trailhead. Any time we would try to pause to catch our breath, the gnats got unbearable. I’m pregnant and needed to stop, but just couldn’t. Now my face is swollen and my right eye can hardly open because of the gnat bites. I’m not one to complain this much, but the gnats were unbearable. Campsite #3 has no access to water and was hard to find coming from the Big Sugar Creek Trail. I finally followed a hunch, and went on what looked like a social trail that had “no hiker/no horses” sign on it. There wasn’t a “no backpacker” and it led to the well-established campsite. Coming from the other direction, there was a sign with the number 20 on it. I spent most of the night awake, convinced the campsite was haunted, and at 2:45 AM, I heard a baby crying nearby. As we packed out, we walked by a cemetery that wasn’t on the main trail. Spooky to say the least! In sum, stay away right now because of the bugs. We also pulled about 50 ticks off of us between my wife and I over two days. Water is scarce at campsites, but closer to the beginning of the loop is Big Sugar Creek and the end there is a beautiful spring. If it weren’t for the gnats, we would have been able to enjoy it. It was a fairly easy trail for backpacking with minimal elevation changes, just make sure you pack an abundance of water if you plan to stop at campsite #3.

Sun Jun 02 2019

Check out Big Crazy Outdoor Adventures or bcoa.tv on YouTube I’ll be posting this and other trails. On this trail there were lots of gnats. It had just rained the night before which I’m sure added to the bug activity. Lots of water and mud. The overlook would be an even better during the winter. I’ll be headed back for that. My favorite trail is Big Sugar Creek Trail with the view of Big Sugar Creek on top of a big rock cliff.