Coy Bald Trail

Coy Bald Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bradleyville, Missouri that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

The trailhead is off of a county road that turns into a poorly maintained gravel road. The trailhead isn't marked as Coy Bald, but it's obvious when you get there. A few hundred yards off the trailhead there is a fork in the trail. You can go to the left to get to the falls quicker. There is a lot if washout on the trail, making the decent (or ascent) a bit more difficult, but not unbearable. There are two established camp sites with fire rings on either side of the first river crossing. It's a pretty area and the water is good for filtering. The rest of the trail is heavily wooded with no views. From the trailhead it's about 3 miles to the falls. You'll cross the river twice. The trail has some rocky inclines and some smooth flat areas and a lot of washout, but it's travelled well enough that it is easy follow. That may change when the leaves are on the trail since there are no markings to guide you. About two miles in, another trail crosses, just stay straight and you'll be fine. There are four established campsites near the falls with stone fire rings. The water was very nice for wading in, but be careful of water moccasins.

Very nice hike. Needed gps to follow in leaves at south end and to get off the creek section.

Started out on Long Creek Trailhead by the tower. There were paper copies of all the trails at the trailhead sign-in box for those in need of one if starting out here. Markers to identify trails throughout this wilderness area can be scarce other than at the trailheads. There are posted warnings of this at this trailhead. I would advise bringing a compass/map and/or gps for first-time hikers to this area.
Using Google Maps, I downloaded a Google offline map of the area to my smartphone. With no cell signal but still able to get gps, I can find my location in the area. Google maps will also show some of the trails which is a big help.
"The Falls" are just minutes off of the Coy Bald trail near the Blair Ridge trail split and you'll see signage for it.
I saw a few nice camping sites - couple by the creek and a couple on a ridge with a nice overlook if you're inclined to spend a night.

The Falls are definitely worth seeing even when they're dry

It was my first time on this trail (Coy Bald/Long Creek) and it was beautiful. Parts of the trail were rocky but we live in the Ozarks, so this is typical. Since we haven't had much rain lately, the falls were not running but they were still beautiful. The fall colors were gorgeous. This is on my list to do again, but after rains. I'm glad we had our GPS and a map. There were some signs (looked like new, engraved signs) posted along the way at some intersections, but a map is a necessity.

I liked it. It took two tries to stay on Cross Timber RD. But made it to the trail head. It was a nice hike with a few really nice views. There are a few camp sites that I might go back and camp at. I may have went off trail if I didnt have the alltrails app. I plan on going back and exploring the connecting trails for a longer hike.

A little tricky at times to pick up the trail and the last third was pretty rocky. Apart from that and the 17,000 spiders we encountered it was a good trail.

Great trail but some spots are very poorly marked. No water currently flowing but several very nice camping spots.

My husband and i enjoyed the hike. we did the entire loop but it is not marked except near the falls and one other time. We had to back track a few times and find the correct path. we were thankful to have downloaded a map and had to use GPS once after taking a small path that turned out not to be the main trail to find our way back onto the trail. We came across several nice camp areas and the waterfall is not currently flowing but the water that you do come across is crystal clear and cold.

good trail. it disappeared a few times but not to hard to find again if you know the map. great camping along the trails. you can filter water from long Creek below the falls, if the falls is not flowing. taste good.

Nice hike, drive to the trail head is scenic and likely not doable if it's been raining in a low clearance 2WD. Many washed out spots and deep ruts.

My wife and I hiked to the falls, camped a night and then went back the way we came in. Unfortunately. there wasn't enough water for the falls to really be active, but that area was very pretty.

The trailhead is off of a county road that turns into a poorly maintained gravel road. We were in a Chevy Impala and did fine getting to the trail head.

The trailhead isn't marked as Coy Bald, but it's obvious when you get there. A few hundred yards off the trailhead there is a fork in the trail. We went left to get to the falls quicker. There is a lot if washout on the trail, making the decent (or ascent) a bit more difficult, but not unbearable.

There are four established campsites near the falls with stone fire rings. Forest Service rules are that the rings be scattered when you leave, but they've been there awhile and frankly I think it does less damage to leave them for the next campers.

The water was very nice for wading in, but be careful of water moccasins, I saw one baby in the water and an adult about 5' long on a rock in the bottom of the falls.

We came out the same way we went in, so I can't speak to the rest of the trail conditions, but we saw a few other hikers that did the whole loop.

I may go back in the spring or fall when you can see more and the ticks aren't so bad and do the whole loop.