Coy Bald Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bradleyville, Missouri that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 797 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

The trailhead is off of a county road that turns into a poorly maintained gravel road. The trailhead isn't marked as Coy Bald, but it's obvious when you get there. A few hundred yards off the trailhead there is a fork in the trail. You can go to the left to get to the falls quicker. There is a lot if washout on the trail, making the decent (or ascent) a bit more difficult, but not unbearable. There are two established camp sites with fire rings on either side of the first river crossing. It's a pretty area and the water is good for filtering. The rest of the trail is heavily wooded with no views. From the trailhead it's about 3 miles to the falls. You'll cross the river twice. The trail has some rocky inclines and some smooth flat areas and a lot of washout, but it's travelled well enough that it is easy follow. That may change when the leaves are on the trail since there are no markings to guide you. About two miles in, another trail crosses, just stay straight and you'll be fine. There are four established campsites near the falls with stone fire rings. The water was very nice for wading in, but be careful of water moccasins.

Beautiful

Hiked this trail on 5/18/20. This trail is rated moderate, but I think it’s more than moderate! We started at the Coy Bald Trailhead and it wasn’t too wet and muddy, however, the other side of the loop after the falls was pretty wet and muddy. With all the rain we’ve had it’s expected though. It’s a beautiful trail. This app says 6.7 miles, but we ended up hiking approximately 15 miles. We had a tough time finding the right trail once we were by the falls, because there are so many that look like trails and we were distracted by the beauty of the falls! From the Coy Bald trail we went down towards the bottom of the falls, which is necessary because there’s lots to see! After that it took us about 2 hours to get back on the right trail! It wouldn’t have been that bad if I had actually ZOOMED in on the app map!! Turns out our trail was above the falls and we had to cross the water 3 times, one extra due to all the rain probably!! It would be ideal to camp for the night by the falls, there are great places to camp all over!! Overall we absolutely loved this hike. The trails are marked pretty well, you just have to pay attention ... there are wooden signs and white reflective triangles on trees along the way!! Happy trails!

Road to the trail had can be a little rough and bumpy. The trail was reasonably well marked. Falls were beautiful as well as great views from the top of the glades. Be prepared to cross the water several times.

We did the loop today, muddy, rocky, 0 trail markers. Falls were beautiful, not too many people there yet. Would it kill someone to mark the trail just a bit. We couldn’t find the other end of the trail from the falls, cause guess what it’s not marked at all. Finally found it and ended up being a nice hike!

flooded

Nice day for a hike. Everyone was out so we didn’t get to enjoy the falls. First trip back in 2 years. It was a fun experience. Just too busy for us

Great trail! Not super difficult, though we had a bit of difficulty staying on the correct path about 2 miles in or so. Lots of animal paths branching off that are similar to the main path. We went right at the beginning which took us slightly up until we reached the campground at the “peak”. The signage there is a bit confusing and we had to backtrack a bit. The sign seems to point straight/left, but you actually have to go past the campsite (right) and then the trail continues pretty clearly. The bald areas were gorgeous with wildflowers in bloom, and the creek/falls was worth the hike. The hike out from the falls was a bit more intense, as it is really washed out, causing a lot of loose rocks and narrow ruts. THERE IS A RIVER CROSSING about 2 miles from the parking lot. For us, that was on the return part of the loop, but it will come up quick if you go left at the sign at the beginning. All in all, a great hike, and my whole family enjoyed it.

I loved this trail, beautiful glades and falls, was able to camp right by the falls which was perfect with a spot ready for a fire in the middle. The only reason this doesn't get 5 stars for me is because the drive up is terrifying and it's incredibly easy to get lost along the trail, the only reason I didn't was because I kept pulling out Google Maps to find where I was. When driving to the trail head I would reccomend driving slow and cautiously, would be very easy to bottom out any regular car. Very hot, fair amount of incline, moderate trail with a lot of ticks(expected this time of year in MO), but overall a fun backpacking trip in my opinion!

Beautiful trail! Pretty strenuous for little legs and unseasoned hikers...but a great family adventure. The falls were gorgeous with nice swimming holes! Take the trail map! It helped us out a lot!

This trail turned me into a savage. Due to the misleading signs and terribly marked trails, I found myself lost many times because trails ended abruptly. I had to go off into depths of the forest to get back on track and scratched the heck out of my body in the process of doing so. Also not to mention, the road up to the trail is terrible. If I didn’t drive under 3mph my tires would have all busted. I just wish more work could have been put in to make the tourists more comfortable because I was put in a very high stress and pressured situation of what was supposed to be a relaxing hike.

flooded

good time, crowded

Nice day hike with a couple great picnic spots. Trail isn't super well marked, but we used this app to track our route.