Coy Bald Trail

Coy Bald Trail is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bradleyville, Missouri that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Hercules Glades Wilderness Area is 12,413 acres of the most scenic and unique country in the Midwest. Its combination of open grassland, forested knobs, steep rocky hillsides, and narrow drainages offers unusual beauty and a measure of solitude within easy reach of wilderness lovers. From the trailheads there is 32 miles of maintained trails which follows along open glades, forested ridgetops and Long Creek, the primary drainage of the area. Cross country hiking in other parts of the area is allowed. Key attractions along the trail include Long Creek Falls, panoramic views of the Ozarks countryside, and a variety of native communities including open limestone glades and mixed forests. Best Seasons: Fall, winter, and spring. Leave No Trace: Pack out what you pack in. Restrictions: Foot and Horse only. Safety: No drinking water is available at parking areas or along the trail; bring what you will need, or be prepared to sterilize water you find. During temperate months, be prepared for biting insects, poison ivy and high temperatures. Be advised of hunting seasons. Avoid using the trail during excessively wet periods. Surface Type: Unsurfaced, native material.

I liked it. It took two tries to stay on Cross Timber RD. But made it to the trail head. It was a nice hike with a few really nice views. There are a few camp sites that I might go back and camp at. I may have went off trail if I didnt have the alltrails app. I plan on going back and exploring the connecting trails for a longer hike.

A little tricky at times to pick up the trail and the last third was pretty rocky. Apart from that and the 17,000 spiders we encountered it was a good trail.

Great trail but some spots are very poorly marked. No water currently flowing but several very nice camping spots.

My husband and i enjoyed the hike. we did the entire loop but it is not marked except near the falls and one other time. We had to back track a few times and find the correct path. we were thankful to have downloaded a map and had to use GPS once after taking a small path that turned out not to be the main trail to find our way back onto the trail. We came across several nice camp areas and the waterfall is not currently flowing but the water that you do come across is crystal clear and cold.

good trail. it disappeared a few times but not to hard to find again if you know the map. great camping along the trails. you can filter water from long Creek below the falls, if the falls is not flowing. taste good.

Nice hike, drive to the trail head is scenic and likely not doable if it's been raining in a low clearance 2WD. Many washed out spots and deep ruts.

My wife and I hiked to the falls, camped a night and then went back the way we came in. Unfortunately. there wasn't enough water for the falls to really be active, but that area was very pretty.

The trailhead is off of a county road that turns into a poorly maintained gravel road. We were in a Chevy Impala and did fine getting to the trail head.

The trailhead isn't marked as Coy Bald, but it's obvious when you get there. A few hundred yards off the trailhead there is a fork in the trail. We went left to get to the falls quicker. There is a lot if washout on the trail, making the decent (or ascent) a bit more difficult, but not unbearable.

There are two established camp sites with fire rings on either side of the first river crossing. It's a pretty area and the water is good for filtering.

The rest of the trail is heavily wooded with no views. From the trailhead it's about 3 miles to the falls. You'll cross the river twice. The trail has some rocky inclines and some smooth flat areas and a lot of washout, but it's travelled well enough that it is easy follow. That may change when the leaves are on the trail since there are no markings to guide you.

About two miles in, another trail crosses, just stay straight and you'll be fine.

There are four established campsites near the falls with stone fire rings. Forest Service rules are that the rings be scattered when you leave, but they've been there awhile and frankly I think it does less damage to leave them for the next campers.

The water was very nice for wading in, but be careful of water moccasins, I saw one baby in the water and an adult about 5' long on a rock in the bottom of the falls.

We came out the same way we went in, so I can't speak to the rest of the trail conditions, but we saw a few other hikers that did the whole loop.

I may go back in the spring or fall when you can see more and the ticks aren't so bad and do the whole loop.

Ummmm it was pretty cool. It is horribly marked! SO EASY TO GET LOST

Entrance road which leads to the trail start is a little confusing due to a homemade sign at the beginning of the road (you'll know it when you see it.) I was disappointed people vandalized the MDC sign at the start with birdshot. Besides that, it's a great trail and good little workout. Trail is not marked with signage at all that I observed, but it very easy to follow and stay on track. Going to have to take another trip as I never found the waterfall due to not walking the entire loop.

The trails are not well marked, but easy to follow. The waterfall on the other end is really cool. Just be sure to take plenty of water and be ready for a long trek. Definitely not for small children as I carried a 4 year old about 5 miles in total. My gps tracking app showed it at a little over 9 miles from start to finish.

Beautiful views, wished the falls would have had water going,.. When we went it had snowed the night before, the trees looked Beautiful!!

Beautiful views of some of the Ozarks finest Glade Top country!