Chubb Trail via Lone Elk Trailhead

moderate 70 reviews

Chubb Trail via Lone Elk Trailhead is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near St. Louis, Missouri that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,305 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Chubb Trail is a 6.5 mil, multi-use (equestrian, biking and hiking), out and back trail that starts at Lone Elk County Park, goes through Castlewood State Park and ends at West Tyson County Park on the south side of the Meramec River. The trail is hilly at each end, especially on the West Tyson side. Through the middle, the trail passes through flat, forested bottomland and a couple of restored prairie fields.

The part I didn’t like was it ran parallel a service road.

Is a rough hike for kids and not regular hikers

Really overgrown once you get 2 miles in (probably due to the flooding). Will definitely come back in the fall

We left out of Lone Elk Park and much of this part of the trail is washed out from some of the recent flooding. Wait until the water goes down!

Sun Jan 13 2019

Awesome hike with our GSD mix. First half was easy and relaxing. Second half was fun! Plenty of hills and rocks! Glad we went from Lone Elk to West Tyson and back because we were really happier to have a more relaxing bike back to the car. Took us 7 hours with stops.

Sat Nov 10 2018

Nice trail with plenty of flat terrain to prepare you for the hills Will be back soon

Sat Oct 27 2018

Varied terrain, some rutting to due to horses.

Thu Sep 06 2018

This trail was a bear to tackle, but so much fun! It’s challenging because of its distance and elevation gain a little over half way through, yet 70% of it is flat with beautiful wildlife and scenery. I started in lone elk park and went to the west tyson trailhead. Then decided to hop on the flint quarry trail which eventually took me back to the chubb trail where I could head back to my car. This way ended up totaling 13 miles. Bring lots of water and snacks!

Thu Aug 09 2018

Fun trail to run. A couple of those hills are just plain evil which is always a plus. The trail is marked pretty well and was maintained for the most part. There was a small overgrown section and a downed tree on the path. I'll definitely come back to this one again.

Tue Aug 07 2018

We hike this all the time, by the way a lot of people walk their dogs here including us and there are no signs that prohibit it.

Sun Jul 22 2018

If you’re debating whether to start at Lone Elk or at West Tyson, West Tyson has water (and Lone Elk did not), which allowed me to refill at the halfway point which was very nice in the middle of summer. Trail was nice. Long steep sections which I preferred more than the constant undulation I get with Lewis. I did get off the trail once or twice but easily backtracked once I realized something was off.

Tue Jul 10 2018

Very nice trail, also used by bikers so be aware. Beautiful scenery I would say a moderate trail with some steep parts but also flat along river and fields. Done this trail many times , prefer late fall or winter

Fri Apr 20 2018

Has everything

Tue Dec 19 2017

Pretty easy as the trail is mostly flat - it follows the railroad for awhile then heads next to the Meramec river