Chinquapin Trail

Chinquapin Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pineville, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 314 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a beautiful uphill walk to the top of the hill. In the autumn when the leaves fall, you can see to the creek. The rock formations along the bottoms give a good idea of the erosion that has occurred. There are many overhangs and small caves in the area as well.

I did the trail at the end of August. It was a hot and humid afternoon, some beautiful rock structures. I will wait to do this trail again in early spring or late fall when the bugs , spider webbs, ticks are less of a factor. Overall a great 2 hour hike. D Dreyer

We drove from ne Oklahoma to hike this. although it is a pretty trail it is very overgrown and we including a 16cmth old baby we have with us ended up somehow in a bed of seed ticks. we are literally covered head to toe with 1000s. we rushed back down to that river and jumped in then flew to bella vista and got a motel room where we are 6 hours later still picking ticks off after me and husband have taken 3 bleach baths each. I will never hike that trail in the summer again if ticks are that bad there. I will do it in the winter. I love hiking and I have rode my horse and hiked for miles at the ponderosa at pineville and never encountered ticks of that magnitude. I am broke out in hives now and that's something else I never do. ugh. I'm frustrated to say the least. but I'm trying to find out the history on that place. It says it's a landmark and I'm curious on what that little rock building that is there use to be. I can't wait to hike it in January

One of my favorite trails in southwest Missouri!! Nearly 100% shaded with a winding creek you walk next to and over several times. This trail also includes some nice hill top views of the forest and creek below. I've taken my 2 dogs multiple times and hardly seen a soul. There are several portions of the trail that are very narrow... something to be mindful of if hiking with dogs or kids. Can get a little over grown during late summer so would recommend off season hikes!

this use to be my favorite trail always well maintained and a clearly marked path. I went a couple weeks ago and the path was grossly overgrown, the trailhead was not. as so as my group and I got to the trail we all looked at each other, all of us felt the same feeling and turnt around tk head back down the trailhead

So we loved it! However I wanted to put out some info for those who may not be as “country” as we are. We went during July so everything was grown and beautiful! However since it is a wildlife area there isn’t a large maintained trail and with everything in bloom we walked through an almost constant path of knee-thigh high brush/grass. This didn’t bug us one bit but if someone is easily scared by bugs, ticks, and snakes you may avoid this trail in the summer when it’s grown up. No amount of bug spray will keep the ticks away. We hike often so we spray and stop to check often. We are also very used to snakes so it was a non issue for us to just be aware. It was a fun adventure with various terrains and plenty of good spots to stop and splash in the creek.

This trail is accurate for its moderate rating. lots of creek crossings which is fun and the scenery and elevation is awesome. A good family trail even for kids.

Late April hike was fantastic! Water flowed in most creek beds creating the sounds of trickling falls all around us. Upon recommendation, we hiked it counterclockwise and agree that made for an easier uphill hike with the reward of ending the hike along the bluff overhang portion where we also encontered climbing over several downed trees. We even stopped to walk the creek and soak our tootsies! Our 9 & 12 yr olds had no problem with terrain, and there was no portion of the trail requiring climbing up rocky scramble-type sections. However, this does cross wet creeks (about 9 times for us that day), so appropriate footwear is good. At more like 3.4 miles (per my wanderings on my Samsung tracker) with all of our wandering and exploring and play, we were on the trail 3 hours.

this is a pretty easy Trail it has a great woodland setting but that's it not a whole lot of scenery

Beautiful scenery. Such cool clear water. There are several places that require crossing through water but with waterproof boots it is not a problem. I will definately be back.

This trail was awesome! There was different terrain- grass, dirt, rocks... it kept things interesting and the scenery was beautiful. It was not a difficult trail. It was very dog friendly. We had to cross the creeks at some points and that was really fun! One of my favorite trails! Would definitely go again.

I've been here twice and both times were in late winter/early spring. The trail is relatively easy with a slight incline but moderately rated for the creeks you get to cross and the uneven terrain you traverse across such as rocks. This time of year there will be water flowing in the creeks that feed into the Elk River, so it's a good idea to wear the adequate footwear. Signs of Deer, Coyotes, Squirrels, and Birds. It's a beautiful nature loop trail around 3 miles long in it's entirety but has a cutoff halfway through to make it a little shorter/quicker. I definitely recommend checking this place out to appreciate it if you're ever in the SW corner of Missouri or NW corner Arkansas!

Great trail with lots of variety from bluffs to miniature waterfalls in the creek beds. It does get a bit muddy and slick in spots after the rain, so wear appropriate footwear.

Well maintained and scenic trail. Challenging hill near the middle of the trail with great views. This was a pre-superbowl hike that took use an hour and twenty four minutes. Look forward to hiking this again in the spring and fall.

Easy hike, trail well maintained. Would be great if the creek was flowing.

The trail was better than I expected. It had a few nice rock formations, small rock outcroppings, followed a creek for a while. I hiked counterclockwise and recommend that direction.

It’s a lovely single track hike, but even in the middle of winter it just feels “ticky.” I’m guessing in July you’d seriously regret wearing shorts.

I really enjoyed this trail, though the leaf-strewn path, combined with recent rain, made the steep parts a bit treacherous. Also, it’s easy to end up on a different path and wander around for a few additional hours, but we enjoyed that part!

It was 29 degrees and sunny the morning I went out. Saw 4 couples on the trail and one very large spider. There was virtually no water in the creek which made it easy to cross the three or four time that is needed. The riverbed was fun to check out. And I imagine if you go in the spring it would be great for bird watching. If you mountain bike bring your bike. There are a lot of fun trails for bikes in the area.

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

We really enjoyed the trail, even the dried out parts that should have had water. I think it would be really pretty when the rain brings the water, but there were definitely downsides to the trail in the form of spider webs and seed ticks!! We used repellent but it didn't do anything to keep them from under our shoes and on our legs. if you hike here be sure to wear long pants and either tall boots or long socks under them...maybe even rubber band those suckers.

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Enjoyed this trail. Trail runs through the trees keeping it well shaded. It wasn’t anything difficult but it is long and depending if you go right or left at the start will determine if you go more uphill or downhill. The trail is well marked and easy to follow.

Friday, August 17, 2018

Good moderate trail .. well marked . At the beginning of the trail go to the left for a more up hill hike . Stay right it’s more down hill walking !

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Pretty easy hike. Unfortunately all of the streams and river were dried up so it made for dull sights. Trail was easy to follow and well marked. We were covered in a bunch of tiny ticks by the end of the trail even though we wore tick repellent. Probably a better hike to do in the spring when water is flowing and there aren’t as many ticks.

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Nice easy hike. Make sure to bring tick repellent as we were covered when we left. Also keep an eye out for snakes. We ran into a large rattler on the trail near the river.

Saturday, May 05, 2018

Ticks,ticks, and more ticks. Great hike and well marked. Don’t bring your dog. We pulled over 50 seed ticks off ours. Places in the creek to cool off. Tall grass around the trails so be sure to bring some repellent. Parking has bathrooms.

Sunday, April 29, 2018

We hiked this trail with a 6 year old and it was great for all of is! Most creek crossings were dry or more puddle-like. It was a beautiful trail and can only be prettier in warmer months!

Friday, April 27, 2018

We had a blast on this trail. It was very scenic and well marked. Be prepared for wet feet because the trail meanders around a couple of spring creeks. The rock formations and cliff overhangs were awesome. We would highly recommend this trail to anyone with an interest in nature. Many wildflowers and dogwood trees in bloom. 4/2018