Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Chinquapin Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pineville, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 314 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a beautiful uphill walk to the top of the hill. In the autumn when the leaves fall, you can see to the creek. The rock formations along the bottoms give a good idea of the erosion that has occurred. There are many overhangs and small caves in the area as well.

Great trail, it was a blast. Our dogs loved it the only downside about this one was the ticks but other than that it was fun

Awesome trail! Lots of water crossings and beautiful scenery. With it being spring there were so many beautiful wildflowers and butterflies that just added to the experience. Can’t wait to do it again!

Great trail! Had an excellent time just walking and being with nature. Some places the trail is narrow but plenty of places to get off the trail.

I recently hiked this trail with my six year old. We both loved it! The trail is well marked, just the right length and has several beautiful rock formations and a bunch of fun creek crossings/ places to stop and play or explore. We went counter clockwise which is a bit more uphill than down, I would recommend following the trail clockwise for children who may tire more easily. Bug spray is a must!

We take our kids here often (9, 13, 15) and they love it! Trail was in great shape as of 4/16/20. If you are careful, you can traverse all the water crossings without getting wet.

Had a great hike! Beautiful features, not too difficult, and not super busy.

Fun trail! Great weather! Definitely recommend and I plan to do it again soon!

Nice trail with the spring flowers, redbud and dogwood trees throughout alongside a steady little flowing creek with various little water falls. All in all, a lovely little relaxing walk of approximately 3 miles. We only saw one other couple on the trail today.

Nice and easy trail. Very pretty scenery along the creek. No too many bugs yet but bring bug spray.

Excellent day to hike, rained in the morning so the springs and creeks were flowing well. No issues crossing the creeks, no bugs... beautiful trail.

Great trail scenic streams and rock formations along the majority of the trail with several ankle deep water crossings. I see reviews saying it's pretty challenging, I did it with my 6 and 8 year old boys no problem. Awesome hike, definitely go do it.

Beautiful and family/pet friendly. Lots of water crossings so wear appropriate shoes.

Mid-March 2020. The perfect late Fall, early Spring trail. No signs of heavy insects, snakes or other perilous characters.... we saw a couple of large paw tracks in the mud, but nothing consistent that would cause major concern of imminent danger. My 9 year old and I easily hiked the trail in less than 2.5 hours with a few stops here and there. Definitely wear hiking boots or waterproof mid-calf walking gear because you’ll run across more than a few stream crossings and your tennis shoes will be completely saturated by trail’s end. Beautiful scenery whether you take the clockwise or counterclockwise route. Trail marked very clearly with Yellow tabs (the entrances to the White optional route were marked clearly as well.) It was a great first trail for my 9 year old. I can definitely see though why the conditions might change for the worse as the Spring and summer shrubbery bloom. Exceptional visibility of the cliff sides and hills and trail at this time which would definitely subside as shrubbery grows during the Spring and Summer; not to mention all of the ticks and other spiders that come along with April-September. Nothing more beautiful than nature in the Ozarks in my opinion. Overall great experience.

Great relatively easy trail! You’ll definitely have to go through some water. Well kept trail, with some beautiful greenery. A good trail for the whole family

Really beautiful, but you need to cross over a small stream multiple times, not recommended if rainy.

Well kept trail, great family hike.

Trail is very nice and worn in well by the amount of traffic it receives. The only downside is that it gets quite narrow at points and has several stream crossings that could be difficult in higher water. It is good to know what you are getting into before hitting this trail up. Waterproof boots are a great help!

This is a pleasant hike that is well suited for families. Aside from a brief section in the middle of the hike, the trail runs alongside a nice creek and interesting bluff lines. There are 5-10 creek crossings and several are a little difficult. After a heavy rain it would be unlikely you could finish the loop with dry feet. Although the trail is not particularly popular, it is well maintained and easy to follow. At the halfway point (which is the highest point as well) there is a spur trail with white trail markers labeled "1" that runs down the ridgeline back to the trailhead. If you want a slightly quicker route back and don't care about missing the creek it is an option. For those in nearby northwest Arkansas this trail is a hidden gem and I recommend it. Several reviews have bemoaned the trail condition and ticks. The reality of hiking in the Ozarks is ticks share the trail especially once the warmer months hit. We even hiked this trail in January and our dogs came home with dozens of ticks. For some reason 2019 seemed to be a worse year than most. Generally speaking, once everything leafs out ticks and chiggers are going to be a challenge, so if you are particularly concerned about them, dress appropriately and use bug spray (though I personally steer clear of DEET but instead use Eucalyptus oil) or just stick to hiking Oct-April when the little guys aren't as bad. The state park service had just cleared the trail and it was in excellent condition but I can see how it can quickly become overgrown in the summer particularly close to the trailhead.

Wonderful fall trail! The trail winds around a scenic little creek— you even have to cross is a couple of times to remain on the trail. We seemed to be the only people out there! Super scenic and relaxing!

This is a really nice trail for autumn hikes. Counter clockwise is steeper on the incline.

Excellent trail in the more temperate months, got a little confused by trail markings and took the short route (white) when we meant to take the longer one (yellow) Be prepared to jump some light streams

I did the trail at the end of August. It was a hot and humid afternoon, some beautiful rock structures. I will wait to do this trail again in early spring or late fall when the bugs , spider webbs, ticks are less of a factor. Overall a great 2 hour hike. D Dreyer

We drove from ne Oklahoma to hike this. although it is a pretty trail it is very overgrown and we including a 16cmth old baby we have with us ended up somehow in a bed of seed ticks. we are literally covered head to toe with 1000s. we rushed back down to that river and jumped in then flew to bella vista and got a motel room where we are 6 hours later still picking ticks off after me and husband have taken 3 bleach baths each. I will never hike that trail in the summer again if ticks are that bad there. I will do it in the winter. I love hiking and I have rode my horse and hiked for miles at the ponderosa at pineville and never encountered ticks of that magnitude. I am broke out in hives now and that's something else I never do. ugh. I'm frustrated to say the least. but I'm trying to find out the history on that place. It says it's a landmark and I'm curious on what that little rock building that is there use to be. I can't wait to hike it in January

One of my favorite trails in southwest Missouri!! Nearly 100% shaded with a winding creek you walk next to and over several times. This trail also includes some nice hill top views of the forest and creek below. I've taken my 2 dogs multiple times and hardly seen a soul. There are several portions of the trail that are very narrow... something to be mindful of if hiking with dogs or kids. Can get a little over grown during late summer so would recommend off season hikes!

this use to be my favorite trail always well maintained and a clearly marked path. I went a couple weeks ago and the path was grossly overgrown, the trailhead was not. as so as my group and I got to the trail we all looked at each other, all of us felt the same feeling and turnt around tk head back down the trailhead

So we loved it! However I wanted to put out some info for those who may not be as “country” as we are. We went during July so everything was grown and beautiful! However since it is a wildlife area there isn’t a large maintained trail and with everything in bloom we walked through an almost constant path of knee-thigh high brush/grass. This didn’t bug us one bit but if someone is easily scared by bugs, ticks, and snakes you may avoid this trail in the summer when it’s grown up. No amount of bug spray will keep the ticks away. We hike often so we spray and stop to check often. We are also very used to snakes so it was a non issue for us to just be aware. It was a fun adventure with various terrains and plenty of good spots to stop and splash in the creek.