Busch Wildlife Biking-Hiking Trail

Busch Wildlife Biking-Hiking Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near St Charles, Missouri. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is one of my go-to trails after a rain when I don't want to muddy up my hiking shoes a lot. The trail is mostly two-track crushed-rock road which was once used to access the many World War II era bunkers in the area.

This former roadway is now reserved for hiking, running, and biking (rarely encounter). It is also used by people walking their dogs -- especially the short north loop which can easily be walked in under 15 minutes.

Most of the trail has forest canopy and there are no steep grades. All elevation changes are very gradual.

The trail is mostly elevated and drains well. Thus, I like to hike it when other trails are likely to be wet. I also find it to be one of my favorite winter hiking trails.

My last visit was 10 AM on a Thursday in August. I didn't run into another soul. There wasn't more than about three mosquitoes for the entire hike.

However, although the two-track is normally well mowed, this wasn't the case this time and so I had to be on the outlook for ticks for the first time in many years (didn't find any).

If you are looking for scenic beauty, this may not be your hike. But if you want to be in the woods when other trails are still soaked, then you might enjoy this trail as I do.

My GPS shows the trail length to be 3.1 miles instead of 3.6 miles as shown in the current description. I'm a leisurely walker and so I normally hike/walk this in about 1 hour. Also, my GPS shows the entire elevation change as 65' over the 3+ miles (not anywhere near the 170' shown in the current description).

By the way, I made a YouTube video of this trail several years ago. If you would like to see the trail, Google: YouTube Busch Wildlife Zombie Bunker.

Easy trail with good width. Made it nice for my GSD to heel next to me. I saw a lot of wildlife: deer, birds, squirrel, and butterflies. Great 3 mile trail with virtually no elevation change. If hills and valleys are what you looking for this trail is not for you. The graffitied ammo bunkers along the way creeped out my wife, but I felt they added an interesting aspect to the trail.

Very much an easy hike. Wide path, but unpaved.

Many markers are gone so good thing we had this app. It is just a flat loop (two loops actually) and the ammo bunkers are what you look at. 12/3/2017 you can even get in two of them.

Easy trail - nothing spectacular except all of the old ammo bunkers along the trail

We figured since this was rated as moderate it would be a little harder than it was. It’s mainly flat with a small hill here and there. I think a better rating for it would be easy. It’s not paved but it’s also not strenuous in any way.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Based on the map in AllTrails, the first loop is the trail and the other is more of service roads through the woods. Flat, wide, and peaceful, not a bad hike. Love the old bunkers you see on the trail.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Good hike to break in the new hiking shoes. The trail is mostly flat with a couple of hills that goes in out of the shade of the trees.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Not a bad hike. Would have preferred a little more of a challenge, but overall very nice!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Wonderful trail filled with local history and nature

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Pretty easy trail to walk, little to no elevation gains. Trail was wet in a few spots but surprisingly clear considering the amount of rain we got last week; nothing like Castlewood or Clark Trail.

The trails are not well marked. Some sections the vegetation have covered the trail markers and in others they're missing altogether, but using the map on this app made navigating it pretty easy.

All along the trail (and throughout the conservation area) you will see many bunkers. Great places for photo ops, but many/all are locked and inaccessible. A vast majority of the trail is shaded, so that's nice on hot days like today.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

We love this trail. It has a great view and benches if you get tired. There is a tough incline on the second half. Yoy also have the option to go 8 miles if you prefer

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Awesome

Saturday, December 12, 2015

A little flat and not very challenging but a nice trail. I recommend using this map though...it can get confusing but I am directional challenged. I liked that it was pretty secluded when we went.

Friday, November 01, 2013

I've ran the main loop (around 7 miles) that goes around the park, as well as a number of the side roads and short trails that criss-cross the park. A good park for hunters and for fishing.

Monday, May 27, 2013

I found the trail very boring as it is more of walking on roads rather than hiking a trail thru the woods. Glad I went so now I know what it is. Next time I'll bring my gun @ go to the range instead of walking the gravel roads.

Friday, November 25, 2011