Broken Ridge, Hickory Ridge and Tanglevine Trail Loop

Broken Ridge, Hickory Ridge and Tanglevine Trail Loop is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sunset Hills, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

nice!

Great kids trail, not too long and super pretty surroundings. Can get a little steep but over all easy walk. Short. There is a center there that is WONDERFUL inside. Great nature center.

Good trails close to the city! Nice elevation change and even though the center was closed, restrooms were open. The road noise was a huge downer, but the scenery and location made up for it.

I like this loop for a number of reasons. First of all, it’s very close to home, less than 10 minutes away. By cutting out a lot of drive time, I can fit in a longer hike when the time block I have is minimal. Secondly, the loop is only about 2.5 miles if I’m REALLY short on time, but I can easily turn it into a 5-7.5 mile hike if I just repeat the loop. Third...and very important to me, it’s dog and kid friendly. I always hike with my dog, and sometimes my grandkids are with me, The grandkids do better on paved trails, and I can take a stroller for the 2 y/o who can’t keep up with the older ones. I prefer dirt trails, but sometimes there are advantages to a paved trail. And finally, it’s scenic with small wildlife. A quiet, calming, “away from the city” feel, in busy South County, close to highway access.

Very nice trail with a beautiful stream. We went on a nice early spring day.

Beautiful area! The trails are not very long but the hills a very steep, so you get a great workout in a short distance. The trails are paved, but in steep areas it is still a good idea to be cautious. Lots of wildlife to see and the nature center is pretty cool too.

Nice place to take young kids. Paved trail, steep in parts, can't bring dogs.

Get ready for the walking exercise with 3 different levels of hike. take it easy at first then challenge yourself. So much fun and beauty.

Fun casual trail. Fully paved with some hills

Nice paved trail.

I did all the trails to see what my 10-year-old might be willing to do. She could do any of them, but I plan to try the long loop with her first - the most variety and water.

Friday, June 16, 2017

I did the Hickory Trail long loop and while there are definitely more challenging multi-terrain and/or remote local trails, I found it a very nice pre-work workout. I went very early and I did not see anyone else, there were plenty of deer and their babies, and enough inclines to get a decent cardio workout. Definitely better than a trip on the treadmill!

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

kid friendly. fairly easy walk

Monday, May 15, 2017

Easy for small children; beautiful scenery

Friday, May 12, 2017

Not dog friendly

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

I walked all 3 (technically 4) trails here one afternoon. A few things to consider: all pathways are paved entirely, it is very close to 270 so there is a lot of road noise, and it is NOT dog friendly.

It does have some scenic views, however, and I did see wildlife along the trail. There are several streams you will pass by and over.

If you're looking for a place to become immersed in nature, it is a little hard to do with all of the road noise from the nearby highways, but if you're looking for a scenic walk this is not a bad stop.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

solid trail. can be busy at times.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Really beautiful place. Came here our crazy first day of spring 2017 for trail running. All the trailheads conveniently start off different sections of the parking lot. Three different paved trails with varied lengths/elevation to choose from - Broken Ridge, Hickory Ridge (short/long loop), and Tanglevine. Highly recommend doing all of them if you are able, but definitely Hickory Ridge long loop. Very wooded and peaceful, might see a few deer trotting around. Sunset was a crazy beautiful time to go with the golden color on all the trees.

Monday, February 27, 2017

It's decent for a walk but for "hiking" there's much better trails around!

The trail is paved and you can hear the highway.

Monday, February 20, 2017

all paved, but plenty of incline/decline. quite a workout with a stroller.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

This is a great little paved trail. It is well maintained and a pleasant trail. Not overly difficult but does have some challenging points. Be prepared to lap them a few times if your a regular hiker used to more wild paths.

Friday, November 25, 2016

great place to walk in the woods with the kids, nice that there are different lengths of loop trails

Friday, November 04, 2016

if you get here early enough.... you can have one heck of a workout running up 70° hills. Be sure to have shoes with good tread if you are planning to run the 3 mini trails... inclines and declines are BEAST!!!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

The trails at powder valley are great for seeing wildlife and great to do with kids.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Great trail for fall.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Love the peaceful, nature walk.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

great trail for kids!

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Love the tails, they make a loop. Like the center for kids to explore. Love the nature so close to home.

Monday, June 27, 2016