Bootlegger's Run

Bootlegger's Run is a 4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Maryland Heights, Missouri that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a cool, windy little trail to utilize if you want to escape the overpopulation of the Creve Coeur Lake Loop. Here you're in and out of woods, constantly skirting the edge of civilization and nature. Lots of switchbacks but little elevation gain makes for a twisting, turning walk that stays interesting. The path is a great option to utilize without a long drive out of the suburbs.

Good trail, great for hiking and biking. A little confusing at times, needed more markers along the route.

Great little trail very close to the city. It's very windy to get the distance in because it's in a small park, but it's a lot of fun. There is the opportunity to go down by the lake via stairs, as well.

Well maintained trail built by the local mtb club (GORC). Watch for bikes and step to the side to let them pass if you can. My garmin measured the whole loop around 5.4 miles.

We always see deer when we hike this trail and today, an entire herd of them ran past us. The trail is pleasant and I enjoy it every time. It was very muddy today, which kept the bikers away.

Well maintained trail. Easy hike. Not much elevation change. Some nice views of the lake. Deer and turkey. And lots of wild mushrooms.

great trail

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

6 mile loop beginner-intermediate

Friday, August 11, 2017

Nice hike with fairly flat terrain, but trail markers are very misleading.

Friday, July 28, 2017

smooth trail, beginners level. clean and flows nicely

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Easy hike above the Creve Cour Lake, A really nice hike. Good length.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Great for a hike, trail run or mountain bike trail close to town. Just beware of tight trail and bikers if you are on foot.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Always a good run.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

not an ideal hiking course. Too much noises and interrupted from bikers.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

The positives are there were plentiful deer to view and they did not seem phased by traffic and that parts of the trail were quite pretty. That being said, foot traffic is very heavy, you are surrounded by highways and apartments through much of the course, and you are sharing a very narrow, at times, path with bikers.

The hike itself was easy but not marked well. I actually found the up/down stairs portion the most challenging part of this trail.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Misquitoville! Abandoned the trail at just over a mile.

Friday, May 12, 2017

Moderate trail. Even during the weekdays there was a fair amount of foot and bike traffic. There's a generous amount of elevation gains, but about half of the trail runs parallel to the adjacent road, so it's hard to become "immersed" in nature, if that's your thing. There are several connecting loops, so it is easy to skip parts if you aren't paying attention. Many parts of the trail are also narrow, so just be aware of bikers coming around corners, especially if you're walking with your dog.

Overall, it's a clean, moderately easy hike, but I was left unimpressed.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Great trail near where I live! I imagine a weekend day would be more difficult to stay out of the way of bikers if you're hiking. Probably be a go to only during the week when it's less busy.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

I enjoyed it

Friday, October 28, 2016

Lived here 20 years. Always walked at Creve Coeur Lake but had no idea there was such a great path in the woods! Just have to beware of bikers and runners if you are hiking.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Great trail that's well maintained.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

This is a fast course that is easy to ride! One lane only so watch for oncoming traffic and hikers. It's really cool going under the people zip lining over the trail.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The trail was great, there were plenty of hikers out but they were all pleasant and allowed the bikers to pass. We saw a deer herd after going uphill and despite the endurance challenge of traveling up there, it was satisfying going down. This trail was adventurous and a therapeutic ride. So far we've rode this trail twice since the warm weather and will soon be riding it again. It was hard to find so we used google maps and searched the Go ape zip line and we were able to drive our bikes to this trail. On our first attempt without google, we rode the Katy trail from St. Charles then carried our bikes up the 30-100 flight of stairs to start the trail. I seriously advise using Google!!! Have a fun ride ;-)

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Little slick as one would imagine due to the snow earlier in the week. Good marking throughout the trail. Much safer and surely faster when it drys out.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Great, shaded trail. I like that you can choose the length that you can walk/hike. A little dangerous when bikes come through since it's a single track trail, but great scenery and not too difficult!

Monday, August 31, 2015

A great trail run that can easily be shortened or lengthened. Not too challenging and very shady.

Friday, October 03, 2014

I just ran this today! It had rained all night and didn't stop until about a half hour before I got there. The trails were muddy but definitely doable. I do love a muddy trail! It is a great trail when you are looking to tie in some speed work. The elevation is minimal and all the hills are runnable. The trails are also pretty free from rocks and roots. I loved all the shade and I also saw quite a few deer....even a handsome young buck who didn't seem to mind me observing him snacking away not far from the trail. I bet this would be a fun starter trail for mountain biking.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Great trail for trail running and biking. Not anything scenic, no waterfalls, creeks or anything... But a great shady run. If you do both side loops, its about 5.5 miles.