Bootleg Access Trail is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Potosi, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 150 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail starts out flat, then goes uphill at a fairly steep grade. Upon reaching the first bridge go left hiking clockwise heading up to the scenic overlook.

short little trail with great wildflower viewing. good river access for wading

Nice dirt path most of the way. Good trail for the kids. Not much for scenery, but a good one for quick run.

Wonderful variety of wildflowers that are starting to come up. A good variety of terrain and sites. Downfall is that there are spots with a moderate amount of litter.

My dog and I both loved it! I was a little confused at first because instead of starting with a straight shot down the trail (as it looked on the map), there were actually two different pathways heading off in different directions at the trailhead/last parking area. I shrugged and decided to start our hike with the one on the left. Then, I very shortly came upon another fork with 2-3 other pathways...so I shrugged and again took the furthest left option. I eventually realized that those were several other clearly marked “shortcut” options in case you wanted to make it a quicker loop, but I’m glad I kept choosing the “left” pathway because I thoroughly enjoyed the full length of this trail and everything it offered. There are some enjoyable high point views during the first/upper half of the trail, and then you’re led alongside the BEAUTIFUL creek that looked SO inviting for the second/lower half of the trail. I felt bummed that I didn’t come more prepared to splash around the the water...is that allowed?? I hope so; there were some especially gorgeous, clear, calm spots in the water 3-4 feet deep that looked SO inviting for a quick dip in on a warm day! This would be a great family hike, leashed dog-friendly, and fairly forgiving to “creaky knees” too— there are multiple benches along the upper half of the trail. For the “creaky knees” I might recommend saving that half of the trail for last— a nice breather after the staircase leading up to it if you start on the right side and work your way counterclockwise. Personally, my dog and I had a blast and loved finishing our loop the clockwise way with the waterside lower half to cool off, listen to the creek flow, and take a deep fresh breath before heading home. I was enjoying it too much to take any pictures— bittersweet! Hope to be back VERY soon!

Great easy trail that is very cleared. First part is through creek bed and then turns left up hillside with stairs. Couple nice scenic overlooks.

Mon Mar 19 2018

This trail is one of the weirdest I've taken. First of all there were shotgun shells all over the place. There was also a lot of trash, and a dead dog. We got a bad vibe from this place so left after walking down to the river.

Sat Feb 10 2018

Nice winter hike! A scenic lookout, but mostly trees to look at. Old growth Sycamores, tall straight Pines, twisted, bent and a lot of dead trees. the 137' climb up the stairs was hard on us and our 3 old dogs, but we all made it!

Tue Oct 17 2017

Nice easy trail. Has some scenic views and access to the Big River. Some pretty Little Rock bluffs. No one in the trail when we were there. Has a pretty little bridge.

Mon Feb 06 2017

nice trail easy to walk. didn't see any wildlife when I went though. Does have a couple of nice views along the way.

Tue Mar 10 2015

This is a nice 1.5 mile hike that offers a view of Taum Sauk Mountain Range from a scenic overlook and provides access to Big River. Went on the hike with a friend and we did not see a soul on the hike, although the trail was still snow covered. Snow hikes are the best!

recorded Bootleg Access Trail