Learn more

Blue Spring Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Eminence, Missouri that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 39 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Called "Spring of the Summer Sky" by Native Americans, the more famous Blue Spring is on the Current River and is one of the most beautiful places you'll ever find, anywhere. The spring itself is over 310 feet deep, one of the deepest in the United States.This gives it a vivid blue color that one must see to believe. If you were to place the Statue of Liberty in Blue Spring, her torch would be five feet below the surface of the water!

Very short and easy. Good for kids of all ages. The view is truly breathtaking.

The trail was pretty easy. Nice walk through the woods and along the river. Blue Spring was definitely worth seeing and nice to get a hike out of it too. Note that this trail is impassable when the river is high.

The spring was beautiful. We found the trail from powder mill was impassible due to the water levels.

The trailhead from Powdermills campground is marked by a hiking sign and arrow and there is a small parking lot. The only issue was that the trail is under water because the Current river is at flood levels right now. I will be back to try again in the summer or fall.

Short hike, very muddy, not super spectacular. We felt that it wasn’t worth our time, but the blue water was pretty!

I'm a disabled hiker with mobility issues, so I was looking for a short and easy hike. I'm not sure where the 2.9 mi trail is, but I'd say it's about .5 mi back to the spring. It's a quick, easy walk for most, but I found some uphill steps rough and some spots too narrow to adequately utilize my cane. I might not have been able to cross the rock steps across a little stream if I hadn't had my husband's help. The spring is vibrant, gorgeous,and worth the short hike, but the trail is not accessible for everyone. We enjoyed watching an otter (we think?) swimming under the crystal clear water. We think it has a den under the observation deck, so keep a quiet eye out for that and you might see one.

Very easy trail but so worth the trip. The spring is truly the deepest blue. If you only have a short time this half mile is great. If you have more time you could continue to powder mill

Great trail. Cleared well. Easy to follow. The spring is beautiful!!! Wish we could jump in.

If you put Blue Springs Trail in GPS, or follow the signs for Blue Springs Trailhead, it is a short half mile walk to the spring. To do the 2.9 mile walk, use the directions via this app and it will set you in the proper place for the longer walk with 39 foot elevation. Very nice, getting popular though. Would love to see it in the snow!

Thu Jul 04 2019

The trail starts out with a gravel path then ends up as a dirt path most of the way. It could have used a little weed trimming but was easy to follow along the Current River. The vast majority of the trail was shaded while we walked it and made a July hike pretty pleasant. The beauty of Blue Spring made the humidity worth it.

Sun May 26 2019

This was a little confusing to us.. we followed signs to “blue spring trailhead.” Drove down a 2 mile gravel road to come to a trailhead.. we were expecting a 2.9 mile hike and not being from here we went on our way. Found out right away that something wasn’t right and when we went to the spring and back I looked up on the trial maps.. The 2.9 mile blue spring trailhead starts at powder mill... so we went exploring that, but powder mills road is completely block and you can not even go down the road. Other than that, the spring is BEAUTIFUL!!!! So cool to see!

Fri May 24 2019

We couldn’t complete the trail as part of it was under water from the river. The river was shut down to canoe traffic, so it was pretty high. Wish we could have made it. The rock road coming in was steep in places.

Sat Mar 02 2019

I would highly recommend this trail! The spring is breath taking! My fiancé and I enjoyed every minute of it!

Mon Nov 12 2018

Warning: you may not have gps or cell reception in this area! Download the map if possible! This is the deepest spring in the state that the public can walk up to! It gets the royal blue color from how deep it is (310feet). If you put the Statue of Liberty in the blue spring she would be submerged (even the torch she holds!). That being said, there are signs staying things about the delicate ecosystem there. Do not ignore that. This place is a natural beauty and a neat opertunity to look into a deep blue abyss. Let’s not ruin that! There are two trails to get to Blue Spring, me and my group got there from the road and parking lot. It was pouring down rain. If you drive there and have the same experience, take it slow on the gravel road. Puddles are deceiving some holes were bigger then they looked. Considering the weather condition, our short hike to the spring was still lovely. The river on the right flowing strong and a beautiful forest to the left that is noticeably a conservation area. Everything was worth it. The spring was more then blue. It was full of different plant life and fish. Again, I can’t speak for the other trail but as far as driving there goes it is a must-see in my opinion!

Wed Jul 04 2018

Some of the reviews and recordings are of the .3 mile trail that is closer to the spring. The 2.9 mile trail runs along the Current River from a parking area that I had to walk to because the road was closed. This trail is mostly level but narrow in spots by the river. There is a washout of a couple of feet where the trail has fallen into the river but the trail is still being maintained and easily passable. When this trail connects up with the .3 mile trail it becomes much better defined. The spring has a viewing deck at the base of the cliff and stairs up the side of the cliff to another viewing deck. The highlight was an Osprey flying down the river and a Summer Tanager calling in a Sycamore above the trail.

Thu Apr 12 2018

Really beautiful spot. The road is difficult to drive so be careful. Has bathrooms at trail head. Trail flat and easy. Spring is pretty.

Tue Mar 13 2018

I have been here twice. I can not get enough of this beauty.

Fri Sep 01 2017

Beautiful location! Easy trail for the whole family.

Wed Nov 30 2016

Real unique area. Unworldly blue.

Fri Nov 11 2016

Great destination hike to hit if you're in the area. The fall colors and the blue water made it more than worth the short trek. I made the trip in the mid morning and the sun was behind the cliffs. I would imagine it's even more beautiful in the afternoon with the sun on the water.

Mon Jul 04 2016

Easy hike! Beautiful water! Enjoyed the views!

Tue May 31 2016

We took this trail just before sunset, its not that long, but the path isn't paved and there are some roots that make the hike less smooth than I would have liked. But, once hitting the spring it made it all worth it! Such a beautiful place. The path provides in ground trash cans which is nice, so there wasn't any trash on the trails.

Sat May 07 2016

Got lost and ended up at Powder Mill. Found sign that sail "Blue Springs - 1 mi" Do not take this trail!!!! It starts out ok but at one point trail is blocked by a beaver dam. Then trail narrows and becomes difficult. Found Blue Springs and it was gorgeous. One the way back though the trail disappeared entirely in spots. Do not go this way

Wed May 06 2015

Just returned to powder mill to camp in the area and while there hiked back to Blue Spring again. Beautiful site.

Wed May 06 2015

Returned again. Nice campground, nice restrooms, not just a pit toilet, water available at camp.

Tue May 05 2015

Went back taking family. Caught the spring flowers in bloom, they were so thick and fragrant, it smelled light perfume the whole way to the spring. Spring is gorgeous with its deep blue hue. Great campsite at Power Mill camp site, at the trail head.

Fri Aug 29 2014

The hike is not remarkable but pleasant. You have numerous views of the Current River along the way to Blue Spring, which is the destination. Blue Spring is very remarkable because of the blue caste to the water at the spring. Powder Mill NF campground is a nice stop over or a nice primitive campsite to spend several days in as you canoe, fish, hike, etc. in the area.

Thu Aug 28 2014

The hike is a destination hike, not taken for general beauty, though in the spring you can catch wildflowers in bloom, and in the fall, the fall color can be attractive. The uniqueness of the color of the spring's water is the draw. It is a vivid deep blue.