Black Mountain Falls Trail

Black Mountain Falls Trail is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Arcadia, Missouri that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,020 feet Route Type: Loop

This was a beautiful trek. Start to the left of the falls and work your way to the top crisscrossing the water as necessary. This trail definitely requires some minor bouldering. I popped up onto one rock and came face-to-face with a snake that startled me, not sure what it was though either a bull snake or copperhead but I don't know the local species or for sure what they look like, so pay attention to where you climb! After I got to the top, I followed the creek a bit too far and missed the log road. thankfully my gps worked fine and I was able to find it on the downloaded map. I didn't make it up to the summit, I was tired and all the poison ivy deterred me, but I followed the log road to the highway and that was a beautiful walk also. Came acros an old cemetery and saw several other mini waterfalls streaming down the mountain to the river. This was my first time in this area, one of my first solo hikes, and definitely a first non-maintianed trail for me, but it was an excellent one to take on with the right amount of challenge.

As you come in from the road, it is a scramble all the way up the falls, no trail, and no markers. Once you get to the logging road, you can go left for a ways but you will have to pick a spot and bushwack your way to the top. Coming down, I used my GPS tracker to get to the top of creek and followed it all the way down. Be careful if you do this. The sides are granite fields of loose rock and covered in leaf litter, so walk carefully!! A beautiful climb!!! But not a trail, it is a scramble and bushwack that is well worth the effort!!

Went after a few days of good rain. The falls/cascades you can see from the road we’re terrific. There is no marked trail. To get to the summit of Black Mountain, walk up the left side of the falls to the Upper Falls. The follow the creek until you get to a log road. Make a left. Follow log road until another log road on the right. Walk to the end of that road and then bushwhack to the summit. Not very far. Go to the south side of the mountain to get best views. Back track back to original log road. If you don’t want to walk down the falls. Continue on log road until he meets back up with hwy. Then walk to your car on road. Great hike, but very tough. More information at lagomadventures.com search Black Mountain

Awesome trail! No true path but walk up the side of the waterfall until you hit a crossing of the black mountain Jeep trail to summit. Bring a GPS. Go after some rain, the falls are beautiful!