Learn more

Black Mountain Falls Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(26)
Mark Twain National Forest

Black Mountain Falls Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Arcadia, Missouri that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Length 4.3 mi Elevation gain 997 ft Route type Loop

Waterfall

Private property

Description
Waypoints (0)

NOTE: The trail can be hard to find and there is no designated parking for the hike.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (26)
Photos (53)
Recordings (13)
Completed (33)
Lesley Ellis
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 21, 2020
Private property

Erica W. The purple paint that you are referring to as a marker is actually letting everyone know that it is private property. Here is the Missouri statue... "Under Missouri's law: Any owner or lessee of real property can post property with the purple paint marks. ... The bottom edge of each paint mark must be between 3 feet and 5 feet off the ground. Paint marks must be readily visible to any person approaching the property."

Erica W
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
HikingBugsOff trailOver grownPrivate propertyRockyScramble

I’ve never left a review on All Trails before, but I really feel like folks could benefit from my experience for this trail. One, a gentleman pulled over and told me as I was walking back to my car (on the asphalt road (Route E) which is indicated as a part of the trail) that I hiked on private property. I don’t know if this is legit or not, there were no signs or anything, but I just wanted to give a heads up. Two, yep, you have to park right on the side of the road. There are a couple small parking spots available on the sides of the road: two on the opposite side of the road paved in gravel (the side closest to the river), and one dirt spot is just ahead of the trailhead. I ended up parking further down but I wouldn’t recommend that spot (it was hard getting into and out of). Three, I HIGHLY recommend bringing a reliable GPS, maybe your phone (?), and lots of water. Like, way more water than you normally would. It’s a rigorous trail, in my opinion. And, like other reviewers said, I definitely wouldn’t bring kids on the trail. Four (and finally), the loop part of the trail (and a little bit around it) is not indicated and the trail kind of just...ends...and you’re walking around in the woods, hoping for the best. It’s a skootch disconcerting. Haha. So, just try to go in the general direction of the trail as seen on the All Trails app (hopefully your GPS is working) and you’ll find what I describe as a four wheeler type of path. You can probably just skip the loop part, in my humble opinion. If you want to go in reverse (clockwise), like I did, look for the purple painted stones and two trees wrapped with a small plastic purple bow. That’s the trail. It helps identify your path and gets you started in the woods. Whoever painted the rocks and did the purple plastic bows deserves a cape, because you’re a superhero, friend. That really helped me find my way. Thank you!!

Abbigail Nicholson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 10, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

It’s a scramble up & down but it’s worth it.

Leigh Tindall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 27, 2020
HikingBugsOff trailRockyScramble

I’m giving this 5 stars for the experience. When you get to the top it’s absolutely beautiful, just incredible! *Please be advised there is no actual trail! *For those of you with small children I would not advise this trek. As a healthy adult in good shape and it still was a moderate climb. Start on the left side of the waterfall and work your way up. You will experience lots of bouldering, climbing, loose rock, and vegetation you have to blaze a trail through. You will wade through poison ivy and sumac on the climb, so make sure your legs are covered. Bring bug or lemon spray because the nats will be all over you as soon as you get into the climb and they won’t leave if you are not sprayed. Once you reach the top it’s absolutely incredible, and it feels as if you are not even in Missouri. This is definitely a hike I will do again, the next time I will take the log road to find the way down, I kept following the stream line and hiked up a good portion of Black Mountain missing the log road. Amazing climb!

Misty Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 3, 2020
Hiking

Great views but the trail is non existent. We climbed up thru the falls, not doable for small children but the view was worth it! Also, there is no sign or parking lot. You will be parking on the edge of the road. Will definitely go back!

Carley Stratton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 24, 2019
HikingOff trailRocky

There was no “trail” at all. I had to park on the side of a winding road where cars fly by. I climbed around what I thought were the falls and it was fun and beautiful. But there truly is no actual trail and no parking area.

Kristen Robertson
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 12, 2019
Hiking

I wish I knew what I was looking for Bc it took me 30 minutes and a lot of turning around to figure out there is no road to turn or parking lot it is literally on the shoulder of the road. Then there was no water climbing up the “falls”. Then I wished I knew how far the creek or river was Bc i wasn’t about to hike several miles to see something . I was so excited and drove 2 hrs for nothing

Joseph Randol
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 29, 2019

This was a beautiful trek. Start to the left of the falls and work your way to the top crisscrossing the water as necessary. This trail definitely requires some minor bouldering. I popped up onto one rock and came face-to-face with a snake that startled me, not sure what it was though either a bull snake or copperhead but I don't know the local species or for sure what they look like, so pay attention to where you climb! After I got to the top, I followed the creek a bit too far and missed the log road. thankfully my gps worked fine and I was able to find it on the downloaded map. I didn't make it up to the summit, I was tired and all the poison ivy deterred me, but I followed the log road to the highway and that was a beautiful walk also. Came acros an old cemetery and saw several other mini waterfalls streaming down the mountain to the river. This was my first time in this area, one of my first solo hikes, and definitely a first non-maintianed trail for me, but it was an excellent one to take on with the right amount of challenge.

Andy Roose
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 13, 2019
HikingOff trailRockyScramble

As you come in from the road, it is a scramble all the way up the falls, no trail, and no markers. Once you get to the logging road, you can go left for a ways but you will have to pick a spot and bushwack your way to the top. Coming down, I used my GPS tracker to get to the top of creek and followed it all the way down. Be careful if you do this. The sides are granite fields of loose rock and covered in leaf litter, so walk carefully!! A beautiful climb!!! But not a trail, it is a scramble and bushwack that is well worth the effort!!

Andy Roose
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 12, 2019
HikingOff trailScramble
View Andy's Recording
Katie Taylor-Martinez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 7, 2019
HikingBugsRockyScramble

Went after a few days of good rain. The falls/cascades you can see from the road we’re terrific. There is no marked trail. To get to the summit of Black Mountain, walk up the left side of the falls to the Upper Falls. The follow the creek until you get to a log road. Make a left. Follow log road until another log road on the right. Walk to the end of that road and then bushwhack to the summit. Not very far. Go to the south side of the mountain to get best views. Back track back to original log road. If you don’t want to walk down the falls. Continue on log road until he meets back up with hwy. Then walk to your car on road. Great hike, but very tough. More information at lagomadventures.com search Black Mountain

Kristen Moody
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 6, 2019
First to Review

Awesome trail! No true path but walk up the side of the waterfall until you hit a crossing of the black mountain Jeep trail to summit. Bring a GPS. Go after some rain, the falls are beautiful!

Toni Burgess
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 7, 2020
View Toni's Recording
Greg Kilper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 10, 2020
View Greg's Recording