Berryman Trail is a 27.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Potosi, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length27.1 miElevation gain2,529 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashBackpackingCampingHikingHorseback ridingMountain bikingBike touringRunningForestRiverViewsWildlifeRocky
Description
Waypoints (6)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

The Berryman Loop is a multi-use trail that meanders through the scenic Ozark Hill Country at the site of Civilian Conservation Corps camp of 1937 with many rocky and rugged sections. This loop offers a rare two to four day backpack trip. There are several road crossings to make this into shorter loops and break into day hikes.

Brazil Creek or Berryman campgrounds offer staging areas primitive camping is also permitted anywhere along the trail. Water is available at three locations/campsites: an artesian well at a trailcamp 5-1/2 miles from the Berryman trailhead (going clockwise), a spring near the stock pond at the Harman Spring trailcamp, and from Brazil Creek at the Brazil Creek campground. All water must be treated or filtered !

Mark Twain National Forest 401 Fairgrounds Road Rolla, MO 65401 (573) 364-4621 Washington County Sheriff 573-438-5478 Washington County Hospital 573-438-5451

From Potosi, MO., take Hwy 8 west 16 miles to FR 2266 following it to the Berryman Campground or continue on FR 2266 to FR 2265 and turn left; then, turn right on Hwy. W to Brazil Creek Campground.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (135)
Photos (133)
Activities (112)
Completed (215)
Sheila Culton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 27, 2021
Horseback riding
View Sheila's activity
Becky Greer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 26, 2021
View Becky 's activity
Ashley Martin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 6, 2021
Hiking

Fantastic trail, multiple streams with clear water, beautiful pines. I would recommend to anyone that loves hiking. The amount of trails that connect let you pick exactly how long you want to hike! Love it!

Michael Aromando

View Michael's activity
Rick kaffer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 5, 2021
Hiking

nice trail very well marked beautiful views

View Rick's activity
Zachary Nixon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 10, 2021
RunningGreat!

Not too bad of a trail for running! I’ve ran this one a couple of times, and enjoyed it but not as much as other nearby trails. There’s not much to see, and it would be nice if bikes all went in the same direction and announced themselves instead of almost hitting runners, but I’ve repeated it so it must be fairly decent. The terrain is very simple, which I didn’t like very much, but it made for a fast marathon distance run. Finished it in 4 hours 33 minutes in May, and 4 Hours 26 minutes in April. Also hiked this loop in a little over 7 hours moving slowly, so it can totally be done in a day even if you’re not running.

Tony Stogsdill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 12, 2020
View Tony's activity
Luke Jarrin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 7, 2020
RunningGreat!

Beautiful! Quality long distance running trail, also saw a few Mountain Bikers enjoying it as well. Very well maintained, with the occasional downed tree as expected in the winter season. Clear directions, as it follows the Ozark Trail system and has markings every half mile labeled BT, be sure to check for the Ozark Trail System sign. Water sources are well spaced and seem to be year round with the river and spring.

Charlie Mcdowell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 12, 2020
BackpackingGreat!

This was a good trail. Rolling terrain, not very rocky. I’d highly recommend this to beginners. I did the loop on an overnight backpacking trip but I’d recommend most ppl make this a 2 night 3 day trip unless you live very close. Also, bring more than 2 liters water if you’re hiking counterclockwise because there’s no water til about 11+ miles in. I only managed to get 8 miles in the first day since I started hiking at 1:30 and sun set at 5:30. I was disappointed at how much trash was around. Gel packs and candy wrappers from bikers ahead of me, wet wipe left around, multiple articles of clothing such as a scarf and a shirt discarded at intersections, as well as an entire bike inner tube left hanging on a sapling. Come on if you can’t pick up after yourself just leave your whole bike next time. I’ll find a real mountain biker to give it to.

Caster Barrios
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 7, 2020
View Caster's activity
casey davidson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 6, 2020
Hiking

Great trail that was well marked and maintained. Nice switchbacks to keep the elevation gains easy.

View casey's activity
Todd May
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 4, 2020
Todd May
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 4, 2020
Alex McCafferty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 1, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!

It's a nice, well-maintained trail through rolling hills. For the most part, the trail is unremarkable. There are some nice ridge walks and a few ponds, but mostly dense forest. We drive in late Friday and camped at Berryman campground, which is free with first-come, first-serve sites. We woke up early and started on the loop counterclockwise. There is no water for the first 7 miles or so and not consistent water until you get to the western side of the loop. The trail is very easy hiking with low elevation gain. We were knocking out miles in 20 minutes with ease. You can shave off 4 or 5 miles by cutting off the northernmost loop by walking across the ridge at the narrow portion. We stopped for the second night at a spring about 7 miles away from Berryman campground. The next day was an easy hike back to the parking area. Overall, I enjoyed the trail but feel like it is better suited for mountain bikes, due to the wide trails and rolling terrain. Though, I appreciate the maintenance that went into keeping the trail in great shape!

Calvin Sehrt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2020
View Calvin's activity
Jade Ruether
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 5, 2020
BackpackingRocky

Enjoyed this trail! Mostly rocky but some nice dirt spots. Water was not an issue, I started with 2 liters but did not need to do so. Passed mountain bikers occasionally and they were all nice! Want to do this trail again but with a lighter pack. Overall it was challenging but fun.

Amy Fletcher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 1, 2020
Camping

I hiked this trail counterclockwise last weekend. I’m actually really glad that I did because the best part of the trail was the first 7.5 miles and I got to finish up with it. The weather was PERFECT, and I’m glad it was in the 60’s and had just rained because I didn’t load up on water before starting out. Doing the loop clockwise was tricky, because water was scarce until I crossed Highway W and hit the creek right there. I’d intended on camping at Brazil Creek, but realized that I didn’t want to walk any further out of my way so I just plunged on. I also skipped the top loop and crossed the ridge at the narrowest point on the map, which was roughly 50 yards or so. I didn’t see water again until just before the spring, so around mile 8. The spring was amazing, and the trail was in great shape. My pup had a great time and had no trouble at all even with a loaded pack since it was in the 60’s the entire time. I clocked 23 milesanenjoyed it. N

Lacey Colson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 29, 2020
Hiking

Super simple trail! Well maintained, easy to follow.

View Lacey's activity
Joan Reding
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 21, 2020
BackpackingGreat!Rocky

I enjoyed hiking this trail last weekend. Not super scenic but a nice walk in the woods. FYI bathroom at trailhead and Brazil creek campground are open. lots of ups and downs but not terribly difficult just long. I went clockwise and camped at Brazil creek. Signage to get there could be improved but I found it with my map and a small sign pointing in that direction. (BC is all it says). Lots of mountain bikers. There was horse crap all over the trail, that would be my biggest complaint. Not sure how that is considered “leave no trace”. Overall I would recommend this trail as it is super well-maintained.

Alexander Burns
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2020
View Alexander's activity
Monica Oviatt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 5, 2020
Kirsten Schaefer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2020
Hiking

The Ozarks at their finest! Lots of springs, sinkholes, and caves across the landscape. There were enough water sources to avoid caching, even in the fall. There was one downed tree across the trail on the eastern loop but otherwise very well maintained. I hiked over Labor Day weekend and ran into quite a few other hikers and mountain bikers-but still had plenty of solitude. Camped near the unnamed spring around mile 7.5. A hiker warned that the campsite is popular for locals to take their side by sides and drink beer in the middle of the night. I didn’t have anyone show up, but would’ve set up camp elsewhere had I known beforehand. I didn’t have time to do the full loop so I shaved a few miles off by cutting the ridge in between Harmon Spring and Brazil Creek campgrounds. I ended up with 21.5 miles. Excellent hike!

View Kirsten's activity
Monica Oviatt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 3, 2020
Alan W
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 23, 2020
Mountain biking

Great ride.. well marked!! Definitely rocky and challenging roots to get through. A fun ride!!!

View Alan's activity
David Doering
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 22, 2020
View David's activity
Jakeyjake 15
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 15, 2020
BackpackingBlowdownBugsRocky

My girlfriend and I backpacked this trail packed for a two day, one night trip in mid August with low 80s day temps. My pack weighed in at 37lbs wet and hers at 28lbs wet. We were pretty heavy because we just went ahead and packed all of our water in - not required as there are a lot of treatable water sources and a few cache spots. The trail wasn't very scenic and the path itself was very rocky - wear good, tough, soled shoes as your feet will get beat up if not. We encounter zero ticks however the spider webs crossing the trail were extremely bad - 1 every few feet in some sections. The lead walker carried a 4 foot stick out in front of them to knock them down. We encounted nothing more than a turtle as far as wildlife was concerned. The only confusing part of the trail was getting to Brazil Creek campground as there is no signage on the BT loop to get you there. However, this would have been fixed easily by some better pretrip planning and research. Basically, just follow the road left across the bridge and around the bend for about half a mile. Overall, the trip itself wasn't too bad. Both my girlfriend and I are extremely athletic and active but relatively new backpackers. The trail definitely wasn't a cake walk for either of us.