Bennett Spring Natural Tunnel Trail

Bennett Spring Natural Tunnel Trail is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Windyville, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

This trail is a 7.5 mile round trip trail that takes you through Spring Hollow to a 300 ft. long natural tunnel. It is about 15 ft. wide. This is a very unique natural feature. The trail to the tunnels takes you through creek beds, meadows and wooded hills. The trail head is in the parking lot just south of the spring. Trail maps are available at the visitor center.

Super fun! The spring at the end of the tunnel is good for wading in. Not much elevation gain but there are a few steep climbs. A lot of tall grass and shrubs so definitely bring bug spray.

Great trail, was really clear and we'll marked. Natural Tunnel was terrific. Trail was 7.4 miles round trip. This is a out and back trail and not a loop. The trail ends at the tunnel.

What a great trail! It is every bit of 8 miles and well marked. The trail to the tunnel is not a part of the main loop; you follow a spur to the tunnel and then hike the spur back to the main loop. The tunnel is amazing! We hiked late May, and it was humid! Bring plenty of water!

Had a wonderful hike on the Natural Tunnel Trail. Went early, 7:00am, to avoid the crowds. Definitely a moderate trail, with some steep climbs. Plenty of beautiful scenery to fill your camera.

Beautiful weather, nice trail, easy to find, easy to follow, sparsely populated and a nice "surprise" at the end.

Very pleased with this hike. I went with my father and his dog and my two dogs, and everyone had a good time! The scenery was nice, the natural tunnel was neat, and the hike was a great length for a day hike for us. There are a few water crossings, but they weren't bad.

I have hiked this trail several times in recent years, but I have never seen so much water in so many of the creek beds as I saw today. I was surprised that the early spring rains created so much runoff. It gave me such a different experience--I loved seeing and hearing the rushing creeks and it was a fun challenge to cross some of them (thank goodness for waterproof hiking shoes!). The area just past the natural tunnel usually has plenty of room to sit; today, that area was under water! I spoke to another hiker who recalled a visit when the creeks were even higher than today and he couldn't navigate many of them. This has become one of my top 3 favorite Missouri State Parks. The caves, high bluffs, creek beds (with and without water), natural tunnel, and changes in elevation make for a solid workout and lots to look at along the way.

Good brisk stretch your legs walk !

Great winter hike.

Nice trail, there are a few caves on the way. The tunnel is pretty neat. I ate lunch on the back side of the tunnel.

Easy trail for most. Spotted a bald eagle flying low along creek bed as i was approaching it. Also spotted quite a variety of other birds along the trail.

If you want the best experience on this trail, hike it in the fall. Leave the trail and check out the bluffs and grottos along the way. The natural tunnel is wonderful, but there are many other features that are often missed.

I just went this past weekend and wish I would have waited until fall because it was very over grown. The cave was awesome because you can walk through it. I'd give this about a 3.5

Monday, June 26, 2017

This would have been a five star if the trail was better maintained. Even with spray, my dog and I returned with NUMEROUS ticks. The first part is very rocky and not for those who have unsure footing. The natural tunnel is very cool and an awesome feature, but doesn't completely ale up for the shoulder high foliage on the second part of the loop. I would give this a 2.5 rating. Likely it would be a great hike on the dead of winter when nothing growing.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Pretty decent trail, humidity was just awful. We went early in the morning trail was nice an empty, just the way I like it!

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

I hiked the east loop in 4 hours on Mother's Day weekend. It was an excellent hike and the only thing I didn't like was the dry creek bed at the beginning of the trail--about a mile of it hiking in and out. It is an ankle breaker for sure. The rest is beautiful.

A few ticks after the hike had to be removed but other than that the pests were few. I saw one snake. Wading the shin deep creek crossings was cool on a warm day. There were a couple benches on the way to rest.

The natural tunnel was amazing. Met few on the way out but returning there were many groups hiking after 3:00 pm.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Awesome hike. Very scenic!

Monday, March 13, 2017

This is an amazing area, the trail was easy to find and well marked. This is a great way to spend time with family ✌️

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

beautiful, moderately difficult at times, but quite public. would be great for family outings. overall A.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Would love to review this trail thoroughly but I cant. After driving all day and being told through alltrails this trail had overnight camping I arrived to find it was a sun up to sun down trail. The only camping available was on a mass campground. Needless to say I packed up and went home.
Loud, extremely busy and difficult to find.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

The Tunnel was well worth The Hike....Ready to do it again!!!

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

2/11/17
This is the second time we hiked this trail, the tunnel is well worth it! the trail is marked very well although the distances were a bit goofy....We took the east trail there and the west trail back.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Very well maintained and marked trail. Map was not needed but I still stopped at the visitor center to get one. I did not find the trail to have much in elevation, nonetheless a great day outing. The natural tunnel is well worth the journey.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Fun trip out to the natural bridge. Instead of the out and back, we took the west trail and it was poorly marked. We ended up on a service road with no recollection of ever passing an option to turn or did not see any blue blazers. Trail wasn't worth the added mileage. Would just do the out and back if we do it again.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

We went in on the natural cave trail and tried to complete the loop instead of going down and back. We wound up on a service road and I still don't know how that happened. Luckily the service road ran back into the west trail and we were able to finish the loop. Next time we'll be going down and back since there really wasn't much to see on that leg of the loop.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Beautiful, well marked, take a flashlight. Lots of picture opportunities. Not so hard that you can't have a great conversation about everything and nothing.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

This trail had a mix of everything and the payoff is definitely one of a kind. Lots of dry river beds and wide open grassy paths spread around. All depending where you begin, this trail would be excellent for families.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

My daughter (9 y/o) and I hiked this trail 6/30/2016. We are what I would consider hiking novices, but I have lived in the Ozarks for 37 years and I am very comfortable romping around outdoors. We started in on the western side and unfortunately had to skip the tunnel loop itself and head out on the east side of the trail due to incoming pop-up thunderstorms. However, coming out on the east side the trail was poorly marked in several spots and at least one part of the trail was completely occluded by dense, waist high vegetation for a bit. We could not see where or what we were stepping on. We have hiked other "moderate" skill trails but this one was significantly more difficult than others. The terrain is rough in places and there are several steep inclines/declines with shifty footing. Numerous large logs to cross. I would definitely recommend shoes/boots with good ankle support if your ankles are not accustom to uneven terrain. Also use a good bug/tick repellant. TONS of ticks and chiggers. Ticks checks are a must.

We completed approximately half of the trail in just under 2 hours. We will definitely return to complete the trail and to see the tunnel. But we will go in cooler weather perhaps when the vegetation is less dense and fewer ticks/chiggers.

Friday, June 17, 2016

This was a great after work hike! Loved it and the natural tunnel is very cool! I will warn about the tics. I went home with 30+ tics stuck in me.