Bennett Spring Natural Tunnel Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(208)
Bennett Spring State Park

Bennett Spring Natural Tunnel Trail is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Windyville, Missouri that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, fishing, and fly fishing and is best used from October until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 597 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

This trail is a 7.5 mile round trip trail that takes you through Spring Hollow to a 300 ft. long natural tunnel. It is about 15 ft. wide. This is a very unique natural feature. The trail to the tunnels takes you through creek beds, meadows and wooded hills. The trail head is in the parking lot just south of the spring. Trail maps are available at the visitor center.

Super enjoyable if you’re looking for a few-hour hike! A good amount of features. The natural tunnel is worth the haul to get there, and there was plenty of water along the way to stop and see the sights. We hiked after many days of rain so the trail was a bit soupy at some points, so wear appropriate footwear. I’d highly recommend for anyone looking for a moderate 3.5-hour trek!

flooded

Great hike! Not much incline so easy hike. The tunnel is pretty cool. A lot of the creek beds were dried up when we went so only crossed about shin deep water. We wore our chacos hiking. Lots of ticks btw!

This trail is amazing! This was our first time doing it and I can’t wait to come back. So beautiful!

This trail is one of my local favorites. I complete it several times each year. This is the most water I have ever had to cross. You will get wet when water is running a lot.

Fun trail! I think we did the full loop and it ended up being around 8.7 miles total.

this place hike was so much fun for the whole family!! we will be coming back

I highly recommend this trail. Driving to the trailhead we saw some deer. There are multiple water crossings so be prepared to get your feet wet. This trail is a moderate hike , not too rocky, just a few hills. Family friendly!

100% Worth the Hike. Creek crossing, small cave, big cave — beautiful! We did the loop for 8.3. Would do it again sometime

Really enjoyed this hike. Heavy rain earlier in the week really swelled the stream. Had to cross the stream seven times in water up to our knees. Should have taken the advice of previous reviews, old boots or hiking sandals are a good idea after heavy rains. Trail was well marked and well maintained. Took a flashlight to illuminate the tunnel. Very cool!!

flooded

That was probably one of the funnest hikes I’ve ever done! If you don’t care if you’re up to your knees in water with wet shoes then this will be a blast for you! The trail that AllTrails provides is almost correct, only off by a little in a couple of areas, but everything is laid out and colored very well. The rain lately has made crossing a little bit of water to crossing a whole lotta water and I find it fun but a lot of people might not like it. Burned 1300 calories doing it!

flooded

The recent rain caused a lot of the areas to be flooded so the water crossing were of moderate difficulty. There are no bridges. There are a few benches a couple miles into the trail for a rest. Fun trail to try at least once. Bring a flashlight to explore caves on the east side of course the tunnel.

Great day trip! I like the unique things that different places have to offer and this tunnel was a cool experience. I took the East trail on the way to the tunnel and the West on the way back. The East had more water crossings (the ones I marked as waypoints were the ones where my feet got wet) and stayed lower. The West trail went up to higher ground and had more hills. Overall a nice, well-marked trail with a cool natural feature at the end.

This trail was beautiful and quite an adventure. Trails are well marked with the exception of a couple of turns and creek bed crossings. I grew up in this area when I was a child and still own a farm nearby. Amazingly, I've never been on these trails before. The trail has some great views and the natural tunnel at the end is super cool. (Bring a flashlight if you want to see where you're walking.) I hiked the trail going to the left to start and came back on the alternate West Trail. The West Trail was a nice little elevation hike. My only complaint about the trail was just how muddy it was. Do not bring your brand new pair of hiking shoes/ boots if you're not prepared to get them muddy. Beware if it has rained recently too. There are potential major water hazards if you come immediately after a storm or get caught in one.  Happy Trails!

Great trail. Well marked

We hiked this last Saturday. It was a beautiful winter day and a nice trail. The Natural Tunnel was very scenic.

flooded

I drove from Springfield not realizing how many times this crossed the stream. We received quite a bit of rain this week. I was prepared for a bit of water and mud but this much was dangerous. I was able to take it about 1 mile before we had to turn back. Pretty bluffs along the way.

love this trail