Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Witch Dance Horse Trail is a 9.1 mile loop trail located near Houston, Mississippi that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.1 miles Elevation Gain: 872 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Tupelo: Drive south on the Natchez Trace Parkway for 23 miles. The trailhead and rest area are located on the west side of the parkway at mile marker 234.

Know that horses frequent this more than humans and 20% of the trail really sucks because it's pock marked by hoof traffic. However, with over 1000' of elevation gain, this is a good workout. Trail markings leave something to be desired. Two water crossings with no human path.

bridge out

Easily the worst trail conditions I have hiked. I did the full 9-mile loop, and was able to enjoy maybe 30 minutes of the hike. The rest was occupied with insane mud, completely washed out trails, hiking through streams, and water crossings due to bridges being out. I had to completely submerge my feet three times, as well as bushwack and puddlehop for the entire afternoon. I may have run into worse conditions than usual, seeing the photos from other users. However, given the condition of the trail currently, it is beyond repair, and should be rerouted (again).

We enjoyed the trail and will be back again. Just wish the trails were clearly marked. Met a few people on horseback and some didn’t seem happy we were on “their” trails.

Fri Nov 30 2018

This is a fun trail if you’re looking for a bit of a challenge! It was very very muddy when we went which made it real rough at times and the trail markers are not great and change colors frequently. We got lost a couple times and ended up hiking an extra mile. There’s a lot of horse poo but that’s to be expected on a horse trail. The foliage and trees are beautiful in the fall!

Sun Aug 26 2018

Awesome trail great exercise and discipline ride for my gaited TN Walker she did great.

Sun Sep 03 2017

Trail clearly marked.

got to hiking and not even that far into it I noticed large animal tracks that looked like a big cat of some sort. not long after I laid my eyes on a very large cat of some kind following me from a distance. stalking me is what it was. LoL so be safe when using this trail

Mon Dec 12 2016

I see no witches dancing

Sat Jul 29 2017