Tuxachanie Trail

Tuxachanie Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Perkinston, Mississippi that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

bridge out

Directions from Wiggins: Travel south on Highway 49. The primary trailhead is located 2.5 miles north of Saucier, Mississippi on the east side of Highway 49. See Airey Lake and P.O.W. Recreation Area for directions to the other trailheads.

Good beginner trail for day hiking or an easy 2 day backpack hike. The Campground at Airey Lake has potable water, toilet and trash bins. POW Lake has trash bins but no other facilities, but lots of space. Airey Lake can get crowded on fair weather weekends so stake out a spot early!

I've hiked/ran this and the connecting trails a few times now. The first leg is 5.3 miles, leading to Lake Airey. There is a restroom there and a pump for clean, drinkable water. If you continue on to the other trails by following the white markers, the mile markers will keep counting up until you reach mile 12, shortly after which you'll make the split to go to Pow Lake (~12.5 mi) or Bethel Road (~13 mi). The trail is poorly kept from mile marker 11 to where the trail splits. Over all it's an easy hike- very flat and only a few streams so cross without a bridge of sorts. Lots of good views, need to watch out for the horse poop though. I definitely recommend stopping at Pow Lake. It's gorgeous.

Enjoyed the hike with the family out and back 12 miles.

Good trail as long as it hasn't rained.

fairly boring.

Nice trails.

Enjoyable and easy enough for younger kids.

Easy uninteresting trail. Okay walk for dogs.

Very well maintained trail. It was about 5.6 miles from 49 to the Airey Lake Campground, so just about 11 miles and change round trip. The campground at the lake is small and quiet. Will definitely have to come back to either hike thru and camp while on the way to the POW camp. Around mile 4 the bridge was out but was easily cross able via a near by downed tree.

Very well marked, cleared path. Not terribly scenic from where I started at Hwy 49, but I suspect the terrain improved further along. I was only able to go part of the way as my canine companion is elderly, but I found it enjoyable. Despite the recent rains, the path was dry, with some swampy areas on either side.

Great trial for me well marked and easy to follow there is a lot of nice views and streams u cross

Well marked, nice peaceful easy walk. be prepared to get your shoes wet. There was many low wet spots.

Friday, November 04, 2016

Nice smooth well maintained for the first 3, decent the rest of the way. Trail continues on past to some beautiful lowlands.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

We hiked from Hwy 49 to the POW camp. In the first 5 miles, there were 2 bridges out. We had to go through the muddy edges of low spots to cross where the bridge used to be. No way you could have crossed if we had rain. The rest of the trail was maintained until we got to mile marker 11. From mile marker 11-POW(mile 13), there were so many unexpected obstacles. It looks like there was a storm that may have knocked down a lot of trees over the path. We had to climb over and under trees! Also, bridges were out in many areas. One area even had a rope to pull yourself out of a 5' drop where a bridge used to be. The last 3 miles were ROUGH, very unkept, looked like a game trail. This path is usually well kept, disappointed at the end, beautiful from mile 1-10!!

Saturday, June 18, 2016

bridge is out just past mile post 4 had to turn around.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

nice wide trail, easy to follow. Hiked to Airey Lake and back in 3.25 hours with round trip around 11 miles.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

This is a nice, very easy trail. A few spots had bridges or planks of wood to cross, but nothing too treacherous. We parked at the trailhead off of 49, and hiked with our puppy and 3 year old to the lake. round trip ended up being just about 15 miles (we wandered around the lake a bit). Everyone was able to do the hike without much trouble except the distance started getting to our 3 year old and the puppy had to be carried part of the way, ha!

Be warned... this place was heavy with ticks. When we got home, we picked about thirteen off of our puppy and found them crawling on our floor and car. Even considering he is on anti tick meds. We didn't really walk through any tall grass. So I guess he was just low to the ground. Bring the DEET, loads of water (there was a fair sized creek nearly halfway that maybe you could filter from but it looked too gross even to me), and lunch and it's a pretty nice day :)

Friday, April 01, 2016

Did this hike on Easter with my pup and it was very easy. Glorified walking trail at time that is perfect for anyone. Not strenuous and not for someone looking for an extreme hike, but you just keep in mind that this is southern Mississippi. Nice find and passes the time while allowing one to be in nature.

Thursday, March 03, 2016

I've done this trail a lot in the past and I recently got the chance to go yesterday after being away for awhile and a lot has changed. The bridges seem to be a lot sturdier with new wood, and there's also some fun signs along the way in the beginning. I went about 5 miles in and turned back. It's definitely more eventful in the first two miles with all the scenery and small obstacles. Once you get further in, the view gets a little boring with all the dead trees. I love this trail though, I've gone on it every week for a year.

Sunday, February 28, 2016